Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Zealand Road Trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any strong feeling about getting a rwd Y vs performance Y? We're leaning towards the rwd as we don't care too much about performance, save the cash, save on tyres, save on energy use, etc. Only thing missing is a bit of range. We're in north Auckland, and downfalls on the range / charging rate front?
Not sure how this relates to Road Trips!
But at a $41,325 difference in price, I went for the MY RWD.
MY RWD $78,243 less rebate $8,625 = $69,618
MY Performance $110,943

• Love
Reactions: Audietron
The price difference buys you more range. Also its the only other option right now because of not having the MY LR.

It would be good to know how efficient the RWD Y is on NZ roads.
Picked our MY RWD up on the 23rd Sept and have just done 1,464km with an Avg, Energy of 154 Wh/km
Our M3 SR+ Unicorn has done 31,790km with an Avg. Energy of 135 Wh/km
$41,000 for an extra 100km of range, it would depend on your needs and wants, but as Rod said there are a lot more chargers around.
But we need more chargers as the EV fleet grows.

Reactions: m3lol and Audietron
I’ve had my M3P for a month now. Auckland-Hamilton super commuter. Averaging around 170Wh/km. Usually start off with 80% charge every morning and will reach home with 21-25% charge.

Is this good or bad for the M3P?
My driving style varies from “chill” going south with no traffic to RAGE RAGE RAGE sports mode going home to Auckland and swearing at right lane huggers.

I’ve had my M3P for a month now. Auckland-Hamilton super commuter. Averaging around 170Wh/km. Usually start off with 80% charge every morning and will reach home with 21-25% charge.

Is this good or bad for the M3P?
My driving style varies from “chill” going south with no traffic to RAGE RAGE RAGE sports mode going home to Auckland and swearing at right lane huggers.
If using FSD, you can just let car decide... either mad max mode will do amazing job or phantom breaking will freak the living daylight out of rightlane huggers, resulting into them becoming left lane huggers 🤥

I used FSD with little intervention between Auckland and rotorua, Hamilton, tauranga with all sort of roads... only jumping in when it's roundabout or car throws tarantrum that no more auto driving.

Didn’t know there was a Mad Max mode?! Hoping to get the Enhanced Autopilot upgrade soon.

Basic autopilot is amazing on its own but being able to just chill stuck in Auckland traffic will be even better.

What’s FSD like going to Tauranga? Tried autopilot going to the coromandel and it scared me how close to the median the car can get especially when theres wide trucks.

Auckland-Hamilton on autopilot at 100km/hr for 90% of the time will give around 155Wh/km which is very efficient but boring.

Reactions: Audietron
Didn’t know there was a Mad Max mode?! Hoping to get the Enhanced Autopilot upgrade soon.

Basic autopilot is amazing on its own but being able to just chill stuck in Auckland traffic will be even better.

What’s FSD like going to Tauranga? Tried autopilot going to the coromandel and it scared me how close to the median the car can get especially when theres wide trucks.

Auckland-Hamilton on autopilot at 100km/hr for 90% of the time will give around 155Wh/km which is very efficient but boring.
Well it was very entertaining and boring...
I wasn't doing any usual driving stuff, so very boring... but I was seating back enjoying the views and admiring driving by car and looking at other drivers and their tired stressed faces... so nature and people watching made it super entertaining.

Again that 10% is spread out, so every 10 minutes or so there was intervention when car was in literally madmax mood or phantom breaking idiot 🙄

Mad mex mode is in lane changing options... it's extreme mode where even to save a minute car will keep looking for fastest routes or lane and changes into it.

PS: letting someone, including the computer, drive comes with its own risk and high requirements for faith in drivers... you need to have high risk tolerance and alertness to address them if any of them cones around... just like riding a taxi or riding in a passenger seat.

I just did a family road trip in my MY RWD. auckland-mt maunganui-rotorua-taupo-rotorua-auckland. I was lucky enough to park beside a power point at each overnight stop (mt maunganui and rotorua) and just used the portable charger over night to charge back to 100. and used the super charger at taupo as that was a day trip there and back but didnt technically need to as it used ~40% each way. had a great time and with autopilot on 90% of the time it was super relaxing and got to chat with my daughter in the back seat as the ride is sooo quiet.

one thing id say tho. I did look at the public chargers at each location. And from what I could see, tauranga and the Mt seem to have a surprising lack of fast chargers. there are heaps in most places but not around tauranga for some reason

one thing id say tho. I did look at the public chargers at each location. And from what I could see, tauranga and the Mt seem to have a surprising lack of fast chargers. there are heaps in most places but not around tauranga for some reason
Tauranga is a retirement village.. Nobody is in a hurry 😉

Three fast chargers in the mount and one in Tauranga seems reasonable for the population size.

Did a top-up charge at the new OpenLoop Chargers at the Mercer Service Centre.
Only got a peak of 75kw then dropped to 60kw on the 180kw charger, warm battery with 50% charge.
20kWh took 20 minutes so would have cost $15 but free until the 17/10/22
24 kW Charger: 25 cents/kWh + 15 cents/minute 180kW Charger: 50 cents/kWh + 25 cents/minute
Pull-in parking only, not trailer friendly.

Reactions: Ecoli and Audietron
Did a top-up charge at the new OpenLoop Chargers at the Mercer Service Centre.
Only got a peak of 75kw then dropped to 60kw on the 180kw charger, warm battery with 50% charge.
20kWh took 20 minutes so would have cost $15 but free until the 17/10/22
24 kW Charger: 25 cents/kWh + 15 cents/minute 180kW Charger: 50 cents/kWh + 25 cents/minute
Pull-in parking only, not trailer friendly.
Do openloop still require that you prepay before you charge?

Did Pukekohe / Wellington / Pukekohe two weeks ago in our MY RWD.
Left with a 100% charge and did a top up at Taupo and The Dukes Roadhouse - Mangaweka and did the same on the way home. Supercharger cost was just under $60 each way.
Stayed a week in Wellington and charged for free using the in-law's charger.
Traveled 1448 km. with an Avg Use of 160Wh/km.
Much to my surprise, each time we pulled into the superchargers they were empty, but we soon had company.
Our MY RWD will be one year old in a few weeks and has just done over 40,000km with an Avg use of 154Wh/km.

Did Pukekohe / Wellington / Pukekohe two weeks ago in our MY RWD.
Left with a 100% charge and did a top up at Taupo and The Dukes Roadhouse - Mangaweka and did the same on the way home. Supercharger cost was just under $60 each way.
Stayed a week in Wellington and charged for free using the in-law's charger.
Traveled 1448 km. with an Avg Use of 160Wh/km.
Much to my surprise, each time we pulled into the superchargers they were empty, but we soon had company.
Our MY RWD will be one year old in a few weeks and has just done over 40,000km with an Avg use of 154Wh/km.
Looking forward to our return to New Zealand. It's already been 4 years! We visited my buddy "Max" who lives in Dunedin and has a home in Twizel. We were lucky enough to stay in both homes. Max is a happy owner of a 2022 M3LR

Reactions: Ecoli