Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, about to take the plunge and place an order as soon as my EST loan is approved. Will be an M3 LRAWD, not decided on white or blue yet but probably leaning towards blue. Don't need delivery until Nov so hopefully placing an order in early/mid August should suffice.

Reading around I think I have things sussed but would to ask you friendly bunch anyway:

1 - Floor mats > LR AWD comes with mats?
2 - Charge cables > comes with UK 13AMP cable, Type 2 and a 16A Commando?
3 - Spare/jack > none included, will need to get an inflation kit from Halfords
4 - Jacking point > 2 x jacking pucks might be a good idea for visits to tyre shops to prevent battery damage
5 - Road tax > will have to pay luxury car tax for the first five years due to £40k+ list price.
6 - Wraps > some wraps for the shiny plastic on the console to prevent scratches

Have I got all that right?

The LR AWD does come with mats but from what others have said I think they are carpet, so you may want to budget for all weather mats, though will depend a bit on where you live and what you do with the car. The same applies if you want to add all weather front and rear boot mats (though rain does seem to run from the rear window into an open boot, so a rear mat sounds like a sensible purchase). You probably want to add a USB flash drive (or a SSD drive) for Tesla’s dash am and sentry mode. After that you’re into non-essential purchases such as upgraded lights (I’ve gone for abstract ocean), wireless phone chargers and wheel cap kit if you have 18 inch wheels and don’t like the aero covers. I’m not sure how cold/snowy Prestwick gets in winter but could be worth considering winter wheels and tyres, though suspect Tesla’s will be about £2k (the 18 inch winter wheels are $2k on the US Tesla shop website).

Right, about to take the plunge and place an order as soon as my EST loan is approved. Will be an M3 LRAWD, not decided on white or blue yet but probably leaning towards blue. Don't need delivery until Nov so hopefully placing an order in early/mid August should suffice.

Reading around I think I have things sussed but would to ask you friendly bunch anyway:

4 - Jacking point > 2 x jacking pucks might be a good idea for visits to tyre shops to prevent battery damage
5 - Road tax > will have to pay luxury car tax for the first five years due to £40k+ list price.
6 - Wraps > some wraps for the shiny plastic on the console to prevent scratches

It looks like you’ve done your homework! One other thing you need to think about is charging at home. Are you going to have a home charger installed?

When you do place your order be sure to use someone’s referral code, so that you and they get some free supercharging. On here you can find a referral code in a person’s profile page, under information.

Two small points
I suggest a full 4 jacking pucks if buying them, and
The road tax is actually applicable for Years 2 to 6, not 1-5, payable at the start of the applicable year in the usual fashion.
(as I understand it).
I will be getting ceramic coating on the car as soon as I can, to protect the paint, which has an iffy reputation, and can hopefully get a professional paint correction done beforehand. Not essential I grant you but looks like a good idea to me given the value.

I thought you had to have ordered the car to apply for the EST loan? I believe you have to add an order sheet with your application (at least I did).

I have placed an order but not paid the deposit, let me explain. Called Edinburgh store and they advised place your order but select "Pay Deposit by Wire Transfer", that creates the quote document (order agreement) you need to attach to the EST loan.

It looks like you’ve done your homework! One other thing you need to think about is charging at home. Are you going to have a home charger installed?

When you do place your order be sure to use someone’s referral code, so that you and they get some free supercharging. On here you can find a referral code in a person’s profile page, under information.

I plan to use public and work (both free) until I move next year and install a home charge point. I did ask about the referral code on my test drive and they said I should cancel and re-order to be able to use one. Will do that once I have the EST loan confirmation.

I have placed an order but not paid the deposit, let me explain. Called Edinburgh store and they advised place your order but select "Pay Deposit by Wire Transfer", that creates the quote document (order agreement) you need to attach to the EST loan.
That’s clever! Edinburgh have obviously dealt with lots of EST orders :)

Well, hopefully, by the time you do order all the chaos surrounding the UK back orders will have settled down. You might even be able to get inventory cars within a couple of months :D

When I configure online it's saying August delivery for an order placed now which seems a bit optomistic. My current leased car goes back in Nov so hopefully a deposit placed in the next couple of weeks will result in an Oct/Nov delivery which would tie in nicely.

When I configure online it's saying August delivery for an order placed now which seems a bit optomistic. My current leased car goes back in Nov so hopefully a deposit placed in the next couple of weeks will result in an Oct/Nov delivery which would tie in nicely.
The normal lead time for Model S & X built to order cars is about 3 months, but a good chunk of that time is shipping. So far with the M3 they’ve not built to order, they’ve just shipped batches of each spec and matched them to orders. I imagine this will continue until the backlog is gone.

As for August delivery on the website, it’s a bit of a running joke on here! It’s always been optimistic by a month or two.

I think you’ll be fine if you order by early August I’d hope the car will be with you in October. If you don’t want it until November you can just tell them that when they offer you a car.

Have you decided on the colour yet - remember white is still free!

Delivery is going to be your biggest unknown I'm afraid. There is still a huge backlog of orders to clear and then it depends on ongoing demand and RHD production and shipping allocation, not to mention your specific spec. A lot of variables that could potentially delay or even accelerate your delivery if they happen to VIN match your spec with a car they already have on a boat. If you ordered today I think you could end up with delivery anytime from late August (very unlikely now) right through to the end of the year or beyond (worst case). Unfortunately Tesla sales won't be able to give you a much better idea right now.

let us know your order number when you order and add it to:
Tesla Model 3 UK Orders (Responses)
Last time I looked the total was up to nearly 8000 and I don't think there are more than 1500 max delivered so far in UK so far so will probably be a little while and August is surely a joke at this point.
Don't think they have registered 8K RHD vins in total yet and they have all the other RHD markets now as well.
Of course what we don't know is how many of those 8000 might have been cancelled after order.

On my newbie shopping list are also:

- A bespoke boot liner (my first 2 weeks with the car will have a dog and a mountain bike in and out of it constantly so I'm going to buy this at the outset. I'm going for Hatchbag from my own research but I haven't found a really clear comparison of the options out there.
- A suitable extension lead and associated connections and weather protection. Lots of threads on this but suffice it to say you need to get this right for safety.
- The necessary hardware for sentry mode/dashcam
- Possibly a wireless phone charging accessory, of which there are various options specifically for MS and M3, the M3 ones do look good to me, MS ones perhaps less so.
- I'd like to get winter wheels and tyres in time for winter too. Expensive at the outset but not over the long term because you're only wearing out the rubber you're driving on, so tyre replacement costs per year are unchanged after the initial investment. On my other cars where we live (steep lanes, mud, leaves, occasional snow) these have proved a sensible choice. Maybe Tesla's far superior traction control might reduce the need but to my mind I think that's doubtful.

Oh and I'm going to put this on my Christmas list...
Tesla Model S 3 piece Frunk (a M3 version is also available)

Think I will go with white/white. Was toying with blue/white but it's dear enough as it is!

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and pay my deposit now.
Yes, the white/white looks stunning, and now it’s the free colour it looks even nicer :)

I was originally going for black/white, purely because it was the free colour, but luckily my wife fell in love with the red/white. So I grudgingly changed my mind :D

Yes, if you’ve settled on what you want and you’re definite, I’d go for it. Then you’ll be in the queue and can join the rest of us mad fools watching ship updates and praying for text messages ;)