Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie needs reality check...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

So I haven't posted here in a long time. I was one of the first preorders for the M3 but ended up canceling my reservations for various reasons - mostly the timing didn't work out for me in terms of my leased car at the time. Anyway, I'm back to considering a Tesla but this time I'm considering a Model S. Particularly because there is "supposedly" an incoming interior refresh planned. I come from several Mercedes and Audi and BMW before that. I would most likely be purchasing the S with intents to keep it for over 5 years at least. I hear nightmare stories about service and the service centers, and then I hear stories about how great the car is with no problems. This would be a significant purchase for me - I'm not wealthy but am a technology freak who prefers to spend his money on electronics and tech rather than on other things - and really believe in green initiatives and preserving the environment. I know Tesla will be facing a lot of competition soon particularly from the German automakers that are coming out with Electric cars. But they're not ready quite yet. I guess I'm looking for a reality check from people who have owned/leased an S for a while now and their real perceptions. Or maybe I should look at the 3 again? Not sure.

I have had MS for just over a year and am very happy. No service issues for me. The few minor things have been addressed by mobile service in my driveway. No other company does that as far as I know.

The closest anyone has come to that was my previous car (Porsche Cayenne) and they would come pick it up, drop off a nice loaner (911) and return my car when done. I actually looked forward to services :) But even that was an exception only offered by one great NW Porsche dealer because they were very remote and wanted the service business and customer satisfaction.

All of the supposed incoming EV competition will go nowhere fast without a similar bullet proof supercharger network.

6+ year P85 owner and 1 year M3 owner. My 300K mile TDI jetta is still one of my favorite cars since I prefer smaller cars. The S is the highway king and the 3 is the around town king, however, both cars perform well in all conditions IMO. I am 6' and can nap comfortably across the back seat in the S at superchargers while road tripping and it has a softer ride. My Long Range 3 is nimble, has great connected driver feedback, and rotates very quickly for a RWD. I recommend that you spend as much time as needed behind the wheel (Turo ?) in both models to determine what suits you best.

Good luck !

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Hi everyone,

So I haven't posted here in a long time. I was one of the first preorders for the M3 but ended up canceling my reservations for various reasons - mostly the timing didn't work out for me in terms of my leased car at the time. <SNIP> I know Tesla will be facing a lot of competition soon particularly from the German automakers that are coming out with Electric cars. But they're not ready quite yet. I guess I'm looking for a reality check from people who have owned/leased an S for a while now and their real perceptions. Or maybe I should look at the 3 again? Not sure.

I have had the MS 90D since Jun 2016; one of the first refresh models. It now as nearly 110,000 miles. At some point I pre-ordered a Model 3 but soured on that several months ago. Not because I think it is a bad car but because I think the MS is a better car for OUR NEEDS.

Early on I was making OH-FL round trips (6 total). First trip I HAD to sleep in the back but only because I could and what other luxury car owner does that? I have carried a dishwasher (hatch only slightly ajar); numerous building supplies; and,6 foot cabinets (hatch partially open). Not to mention packing frunk, trunkwell, and the entire back with Italian groceries, wine, spirits, etc on a FL-Chicago-Fl pizza and hot dog eating fun run!

Granted, some of this could be accomplished in the M3 but some of the hauling part would be difficult if not impossible due to trunk lid geometry/size.

The only weak point of my car is the headlights. Both have been replaced at least twice due to the DRL dying prematurely. Otherwise, I took it in only once for the first service and realized it really was not worth it. So far, I'm at the end of the second set of Michelin tires with each covering approximately 55,000 miles.

As far as competition, there will be some. If you plan to charge at home (best option) then I suppose almost any car would do. If you want to travel in a reasonable amount of time (slightly longer than an ICE vehicle) there is clearly only one choice and that is Tesla. So you will need to decide what you plan to do with the car and make your choice based on whatever criteria you choose. IMHO, whichever car you purchase you will have selected a winner.

• Informative
Reactions: OTARon
Hi everyone,

So I haven't posted here in a long time. I was one of the first preorders for the M3 but ended up canceling my reservations for various reasons - mostly the timing didn't work out for me in terms of my leased car at the time. Anyway, I'm back to considering a Tesla but this time I'm considering a Model S. Particularly because there is "supposedly" an incoming interior refresh planned. I come from several Mercedes and Audi and BMW before that. I would most likely be purchasing the S with intents to keep it for over 5 years at least. I hear nightmare stories about service and the service centers, and then I hear stories about how great the car is with no problems. This would be a significant purchase for me - I'm not wealthy but am a technology freak who prefers to spend his money on electronics and tech rather than on other things - and really believe in green initiatives and preserving the environment. I know Tesla will be facing a lot of competition soon particularly from the German automakers that are coming out with Electric cars. But they're not ready quite yet. I guess I'm looking for a reality check from people who have owned/leased an S for a while now and their real perceptions. Or maybe I should look at the 3 again? Not sure.

That's pretty funny, What do you know that no-one else knows?

Here'ya go. A 97 page thread citing an "imminent" update to the Model S....wait for it....since July 2017

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy

Here'ya go. A 97 page thread citing an "imminent" update to the Model S....wait for it....since July 2017

Here is what I read: Tesla is planning a big Model S/Model X interior refresh in Q3 2019 – full refresh in 2021

• Funny
Reactions: jlv1
All of the supposed incoming EV competition will go nowhere fast without a similar bullet proof supercharger network.

6+ year P85 owner and 1 year M3 owner. My 300K mile TDI jetta is still one of my favorite cars since I prefer smaller cars. The S is the highway king and the 3 is the around town king, however, both cars perform well in all conditions IMO. I am 6' and can nap comfortably across the back seat in the S at superchargers while road tripping and it has a softer ride. My Long Range 3 is nimble, has great connected driver feedback, and rotates very quickly for a RWD. I recommend that you spend as much time as needed behind the wheel (Turo ?) in both models to determine what suits you best.

Good luck !

Funny you should mention Turo. I downloaded the app the other day to check out M3s.

Reactions: linkster
Yeah I know rumors are just rumors. And I'm not opposed to the current interior layout. I think I would probably like the current vertical screen. I was more interested in upgrades relating to quality materials in the cabin.
I have had 3 Tesla's and must say that the current iteration of the interior material quality is pretty good and probably as good as it is going to get. The seats in particular are now a faux leather and I honestly do prefer them over the leather material. Also the comfort of the latest seats are XX better than the ones from my first S85D.

As to your original question though, I was being a bit cheeky, no one knows and almost everyone has something they kick themselves over about not waiting a week/month/year for when buying a Tesla. Just get one and enjoy it as most here would say.

Unless there's a reason to hurry I would definitely wait for the Y reveal. Elon loves to do an extra at every release. That would be the next best time for an S update reveal. I don't think it's going to happen, but if it's going to anytime soon that's going to be the date.

Probably.

You know how that goes!

Reactions: shellderp
Not sure what part of South Florida you’re in, but the service center in Coconut Grove on Bird Rd. is excellent.

Had an issue with the DRL, made an appt. online, dropped the car off, received a loaner (A BMW X2 from Enterprise). Work was completed later than afternoon. Everything was smooth and I was updated on the progress the whole way.

Why wait, tomorrow is not promised. Don’t worry about having the latest and greatest. Something new will always be coming out. At least with a Tesla you get OTA updates which give you new and improved features.

Honestly if you aren't wealthy, doesn't the 3 make more sense?
There really isn't any significant tech that the S has over the 3. Plenty of reasons to get an S but if money is an issue....

For the size/hatch, longer history of the model, etc.. It's all relative - you can make a ton of money but have 3 kids and can't afford it. I'm married, no kids, 2 salaries so I'm considering it.

Unless there's a reason to hurry I would definitely wait for the Y reveal. Elon loves to do an extra at every release. That would be the next best time for an S update reveal. I don't think it's going to happen, but if it's going to anytime soon that's going to be the date.

Probably.

You know how that goes!

Yes, there's no hurry. I'm looking to decide later this year so I want to check out the Y for sure.

Hi everyone,

I like my S. I’ve had it for about a year and a half, less than 10K miles.

I like the styling.

We went with a friend who picked up a new X yesterday. I hadn’t ridden or driven one before. It’s nice. There’s a lot more room for the driver. I prefer the look of the S. The X had better bolstered seats, a HUGE windshield, it’s like a helicopter cockpit. The windshield is so big the visors swing in from the sides far from the top of the windshield. The rear view mirror assembly sits where it should but has a long wire channel going way back behind you to the top edge of the windshield. It’s impressive. Anyway before buying the S, I’d have a look at the X. I don’t suggest you buy one but it’s good to look before deciding.

That fellow who got the X, he’s got an S, he had an S before. He likes the X a lot. He also likes the 3. I haven’t driven one, I haven’t ridden in one. That said I’ve seen a lot of them at the superchargers, and everyone I’ve spoken to likes theirs a lot. If money is an issue and if you find you like the 3 as much as the S, well, you could be money ahead.

I can’t speak to the future changes in the cars, the interior refresh, etc. I like the current version so the specter of future changes don’t really matter to me. I’ll have mine for a long time. You never know with Tesla, model years don’t seem to matter much, changes seem to happen any time. If you like the current version and think you can be happy with the current version for a long time regardless of future change, then you’ll be happy. If you worry about the future changes, there could be a long wait, you just never know. Worse, you wait for the future change then you don’t like it. When something does change, the used value will decrease so owning the car for a long time will spread that effect over the whole time of ownership.

There’s the price increase coming, the 18th is what they say, 3%. That may be a factor for you. Generally the car prices seem to be decreasing over time, competition will help there. The decreasing prices will further depress used values. That bothers some people. It bothers some people when they buy a car then the price drops. I understand that. Still, if you buy one you have to feel good about that purchase regardless of future price changes. Get exactly what you want and make up your mind it is worth what you pay. Then if it goes down, it’s still worth what you paid.

Delivery: Expect delays. Factor it in. It was a 2h delay yesterday. Sure, it was annoying but the car is worth it. The delivery center was busy. Apparently the appointment was made by Tesla and that wasn’t passed on to the delivery center. The people were nice. Still that shouldn’t happen. It does happen. You should expect it. When I got mine, all went well, all happened on time. They weren’t as busy then. There’s really no excuse for them setting up an appointment then people waiting 2 hours. If I ran it that wouldn’t happen. I don’t run it, though. So take a snack and maybe a book, you only have to go through the delivery process once. Well, once per car. People often buy a second Tesla. This fellow was buying his third. If all goes well, you might have other 2 hour Tesla waits in your future.

Repair, my only issue was mirror didn’t unfold properly. They sent a “ranger”, he fixed it in my garage. The car is otherwise perfect. Most people don’t have problems. When someone does have a problem they are much more likely to post here than if they don’t. Use the problems you read about here to see what can happen, but don’t infer that the frequency of problem posts is the frequency of problem cars. It’s like going into a hospital. Only the sick ones are in there and there are a lot of them, some are badly sick, but it doesn’t mean everyone in the world is sick. On the other hand, be aware of the down sides too. Consumer reports does surveys and they find Tesla’s aren’t as reliable as they previously assumed. Still you won’t find a car more loved by its buyers than Teslas. I’ve had to reboot mine a few times. That doesn’t bother me. It isn’t often enough to worry about and if there’s a problem with the radio or the voice recognition seeming to get stuck, a reboot fixes it. The car gets software updates. Lots of them over time. Most are good. Occasionally one will take what was good and make it worse, not usually, but every once in a while. Then another will come along that fixes it and something else gets better as well. I like that. None of my other cars got better and better.

Service. Can’t say much. They don’t need much service. There’s no engine oil to change. They like to check them at 12.5 thousand miles or so but some people just don’t take them in for routine servicing. They only take them in if something needs fixing. So your servicing experience might be more or less. Hopefully they’ll fix the servicing delays. If I ran things, that’d be a high priority, to iron this out. I don’t run things, though.

Would I buy exactly the same car again knowing what I know now? Absolutely. I’m so totally happy with my car.

I hope this makes you feel a bit better. These cars aren’t perfect. Well, that isn’t right, mine is perfect. It’s some of those others that aren’t. Maybe perfect is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve had many various cars for just over 50 years now so mine is the view of the old person who still just can’t quite believe I have a car this awesome.

Yeah I know rumors are just rumors. And I'm not opposed to the current interior layout. I think I would probably like the current vertical screen. I was more interested in upgrades relating to quality materials in the cabin.

If you are used to Luxury vehicles and you are waiting for the refresh you will probably be disappointed in a refresh model S. All signs show that they are planning on taking on the minimalist look similar to the Model 3 for the next generation of Model S.

I like the S as-is with a few updates:

Switch to 2170 batteries and 250kW (or beyond) charging.
Larger pack for highest model to bump range to 400+ miles.
Add CCS charging.
More reliable door handles. I still like the motorized ones.
Interior coat hooks, door pockets
Bring back the sunroof as an option (mine has a sunroof)

I hate the model 3 minimalism, with a passion. It seems too cheap for me and some people think it's clean, I think it's ugly. I like the instrument cluster LCD. I like the additional stalk for AP/Cruise.

I also wish autopilot would integrate LIDAR like other FSD is doing. I think they can achieve level 5 autonomy more quickly with that.

If you are used to Luxury vehicles and you are waiting for the refresh you will probably be disappointed in a refresh model S. All signs show that they are planning on taking on the minimalist look similar to the Model 3 for the next generation of Model S.

I'm ok with a minimalist interior as long as it's quality materials and made well. I don't need leather - I actually prefer synthetic. I like the look of the 3 and am testing one out soon for a few days. I would prefer a speedometer in front of the driver, but apparently, that's not been a real issue with the 3.