Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Options Trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fully expected and appreciate the sage and cautionary advice following my investing wish post. The way people are willing to spend time to share their considered thoughts and experiences which keeps me reading these boards but these boards are also the very reason I think the stars will align again over Freemont CA and create another opportunity for serious short term gain. I am interested in the slightly longer term approach with LEAPs but these are not available to me given the restrictions on capital. My intention has been to use a portion, not all, of retirement funds but still make an effective purchase while using available funds to continue to aggressively pay down the mortgage. Since my last post I've mapped out some plausible options, compared it to just buying stock, and considered the taxes. The tax consequence of such an approach make it untenable: increased tax bracket, substantial income tax, unearned income Medicare contribution tax, and early withdrawal tax (temporary but still substantial) make buying stock in a tax deferred account the better option by far. Now I'll hope and wait for the pre-conference call dip and increase my long position. In time it will still pay for the car, only after I have one and not before.

November option contracts start trading on Monday.
Is it realistic to get a great price on the nov options as soon as the options are available? How does that work? Does someone have to write some calls before I can buy some? Are they usually in high demand, fetching a premium, for earnings plays? I'd like to buy some but am not quite sure how the market values them at the start of their availability. Any answers to any if the questions is much appreciated n

Is it realistic to get a great price on the nov options as soon as the options are available? How does that work? Does someone have to write some calls before I can buy some? Are they usually in high demand, fetching a premium, for earnings plays? I'd like to buy some but am not quite sure how the market values them at the start of their availability. Any answers to any if the questions is much appreciated n

There are market makers who make a market in these options. Since tomorrow will be the first trading day for the Novembers you will probably see a very wide bid/ask spread so you will most likely not get any great deals.

I would wait a few days or weeks until TSLA calms down a little bit before buying. We just had a 12% run up in the stock and the odds are that now is not the best time to buy.

Of course there is a chance that TSLA keeps going up this week, so you never really know when is the best time to buy.

I've started looking at IV by each month (and even by each strike price) and it's really eye opening. For example, IV for Oct is in the low 50's and for Nov it's in the mid 60's or so. Pretty crazy gap but that's obviously b/c of Q3 ER. Anyone else look at IV like this? I think looking at IV on a strike by strike basis might actually affect which strikes I choose to buy in the future.

Ok, stupid question time. I bought some ITM LEAPS for TSLA on Friday. The stock has moved a little since then, but Ameritrade doesn't show any change in the value of the options. Is that normal? Presumably there should be some change in their value, even if only by pennies.

Ok, stupid question time. I bought some ITM LEAPS for TSLA on Friday. The stock has moved a little since then, but Ameritrade doesn't show any change in the value of the options. Is that normal? Presumably there should be some change in their value, even if only by pennies.

Which LEAPS did you buy? Depending on what strike you bought it's possible there's been 0 volume over the last couple trading days. That would make the current price the last traded price = your price. If you go to google finance you can view the option chain and see the volume on all the options on a current day basis.

What's the difference between buying a put and selling a call? They both seem to serve the same purpose, earning cash on a stock decline.

I understand the technical difference between obligation to sell versus the exercise right, but what are the practical reasons why you'd do one over the other?

What's the difference between buying a put and selling a call? They both seem to serve the same purpose, earning cash on a stock decline.

I understand the technical difference between obligation to sell versus the exercise right, but what are the practical reasons why you'd do one over the other?

One reason is that your losses are theoretically unlimited if you sell a call and the stock skyrockets, whereas the maximum you would lose buying a put is your purchase price.

One reason is that your losses are theoretically unlimited if you sell a call and the stock skyrockets, whereas the maximum you would lose buying a put is your purchase price.

If writing a naked call and then buyer executes, then it'll be theoretically unlimited (you need to buy shares to cover the naked calls sold). But writing a covered call and then the buyer executes, the loss will be limited to the shares called away that you already own. This is my understanding of calls.

By 'losses' you must mean lost profit potential because in the situation where the stock skyrockets you wouldn't lose money. You would profit the sell of stock at strike price + profits from sell of call.

Edit: This is for a covered call. You're correct in regard to a naked call.

Does anyone here have a costless collar on their position?

I am considering to do this, since Tesla is now 70% of my net worth and 90% of my stock broker account, but I am still bullish on the company. Is there anything special I should consider in this regard? Is there a detailed guide with the things I need to consider when holding such a position long-term? I'm thinking with regards to how to "reset" it, how much it will cost in commision as a percentage of my total position (think broker fees), the risk of losing out on large gains, etc.

I bought some puts with cash, but since then my account has been margin enabled. I sold the puts and bought slightly more in calls. I have far more than enough in cash to cover the transactions, but TDAmeritrade lists me as having a slight negative margin balance as it seems to have used that rather than my cash to finance the purchase of the calls. It's not a problem I suppose, assuming they're not charging me interest, but I'm curious why it's done that way?