Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Options Trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it turns out the day trade call was no big deal. Even though the official requirement is different from a house or fed call, in that officially you cannot sell to meet it, when I sold enough stock/options it just went away. As you guys said. Thanks all.
My understanding of the rule is that you can't sell the security that triggered the margin call to meet the margin call, but there's no prohibition on selling other securities to do so.

Click on your option, scroll to the bottom and click "create rolling order"

Hmmm I don't have it. Just sent an email to client services.
4e3aqyde.jpg

EDIT: I have it on my iPad. Must be a feature parity thing.

Quick question for you options experts: I have CSIQ Jan16 37 calls and I sold the equivalent # of weekly 37 calls for this week, which of course are way in the red. I am not sure how to 'roll them forward' as has been discussed here. Do I sell the same number of calls for 1-4 weeks from now to try to get some of the money back, or a greater number of calls? What strike price? 37 seems like a waste since I doubt it will correct that much, but if I sell a higher strike price (like 45), then the cost to buy them back will be much greater than my gains on the LEAPS if it keeps going up.

Noob question: if OPEX ends at 170.01 like today, do people in general exercise their 170 calls? I'm wondering if the commission would make it worth it to save 0.01 off the current share price, or if it's an automatic mandatory thing?

Noob question: if OPEX ends at 170.01 like today, do people in general exercise their 170 calls? I'm wondering if the commission would make it worth it to save 0.01 off the current share price, or if it's an automatic mandatory thing?

Given the drain on your capital or margin, exercising at $0.01 in the money is not necessarily a good idea. However most brokers will automatically exercise in-the-money options, even just for one cent. So you have to explicitly tell your broker NOT to exercise in this case. I believe this can be done after market close on Friday for monthly options, but I'm not at all sure about weekly.

Hello Experts,

I need an advice, right now I am holding Mar'14 $150 calls, is it good to hold it further or do you think its better to realize the profits and buy Mar'14 $180 calls? Right now if I sell 1 $150 calls I can buy 2 $180 calls. Please advice. I really appreciate your valuable time.

Hello Experts,

I need an advice, right now I am holding Mar'14 $150 calls, is it good to hold it further or do you think its better to realize the profits and buy Mar'14 $180 calls? Right now if I sell 1 $150 calls I can buy 2 $180 calls. Please advice. I really appreciate your valuable time.
If you're bullish, yes, I'd do the swap. You can get more leverage with 2 $180s than with 1 $150, i.e. for every $1 that TSLA goes up, your profits will be higher by holding the $180s. Or even buy 4 $200s, and pocket some of the profit.

Hello Experts,

or if you're a little less bullish, roll them up in equal contracts and pocket the profit - leaving you cash to recover if needed. But in general I would agree with rolling them up before ER

How would that effect your leverage? You would have a little less leverage initially but what about if the underlying moves up, would your leverage "catch up"? How quickly?

You're doubling the position (shares) for the same $s, so as the TSLA rises to bring intrinsic value to the $180 strike your position will track a much higher share position.
Note that even now the Delta track for $180 strike (.53) is higher than half the $150 strike (.83). So even currently you'll be at a higher leveraged tracking per $ invested

Also note current 'time value' peaks for the $180 strike in the option chain strikes (about 14.63 vs 3.68 for $150 strike), so if TSLA moves up quickly, you'll capture that difference holding a $180 strike investment (providing even more leverage);

Last edited:
You're doubling the position (shares) for the same $s, so as the TSLA rises to bring intrinsic value to the $180 strike your position will track a much higher share position.
Note that even now the Delta track for $180 strike (.53) is higher than half the $150 strike (.83). So even currently you'll be at a higher leveraged tracking per $ invested

Also note current 'time value' peaks for the $180 strike in the option chain strikes (about 14.63 vs 3.68 for $150 strike), so if TSLA moves up quickly, you'll capture that difference holding a $180 strike investment (providing even more leverage);

Thanks a lot for the help, today i sold Mar' $150 calls and bought 2 mar' $180 calls n on top of that saved another $300. Really appreciate everyones help.

Thanks a lot for the help, today i sold Mar' $150 calls and bought 2 mar' $180 calls n on top of that saved another $300. Really appreciate everyones help.

Hi Callnaveen, I'm a total newbie when it comes to options, but I recently learned how to "roll" options. This way you only pay commission for 1 trade whereas if you sell and then buy (as I take it you did on this trade), then you have to pay for 2 commissions. I might be wrong in your case though and anyone more experienced feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
Feels like an ignorant question, but the live quotes on TD Ameritrade are showing 176.18 right now while Google Finance is showing $174.26. Supposedly the Google finance for NASDAQ is in real time, so why would I see a discrepancy?