Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question: Menu turning blue during autopilot signals what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true, tried everything, not working. Did u try recently?
Which software do u use? Mine is on 32.2.2.

It has been this way for at least 3 software versions. I use it every single day, simply adjusting the volume, skipping an audio track, or increasing/decreasing the cruise speed causes the nag to go away.

*Edit: I see that you are in Europe...this could behave differently depending on region?

Using either scroll wheel will defeat the nag, no torque needed. Try it. This was added in a software update last year.
Not true, tried everything, not working. Did u try recently?
Which software do u use? Mine is on 32.2.2.

There are differences in the laws affecting Autopilot between different markets. You note your location as "ulft," which Wikipedia tells me is in the Netherlands. OTOH, favo specifies being in Durham, NC (USA). This appears to be why it's not working for you, but is for favo.

The (North American) Model 3 owner's manual backs up favo's assertion (p. 76):

Tesla Model 3 manual (North America) said:
Autosteer detects your hands by recognizing light resistance as the steering wheel turns, or from you manually turning the steering wheel very lightly (without enough force to retake control). Autosteer also qualifies your hands as being detected if you engage a turn signal or use a button or scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

The European version of the owner's manual doesn't mention the scroll wheel or turn signal (p. 89):

Tesla Model 3 manual (Europe) said:
Autosteer detects your hands by recognizing light resistance as the steering wheel turns, or from you manually turning the steering wheel very lightly (without enough force to retake control).

Thanks for the information. However I tried AP again today and I had the same problem. Blue light special, even though I was hanging on to the steering wheel. I am going to try it again in the wee hours of the morning on the weekend with little traffic around to see what it does. I am probably holding the wheel wrong. If all else fails I'll also try the volume control maneuver expressed above.

Thanks for the information. However I tried AP again today and I had the same problem. Blue light special, even though I was hanging on to the steering wheel. I am going to try it again in the wee hours of the morning on the weekend with little traffic around to see what it does. I am probably holding the wheel wrong. If all else fails I'll also try the volume control maneuver expressed above.
It's not that you need to be holding the wheel, you need to be applying rotational torque to the wheel -- just a bit of resistance against Autosteer's 'hold' -- so that the car knows you're there. It detects rotational force, not grip.

Yeah. Try hanging one hand on the wheel progressively harder until the Autosteer disengages. Then do that same thing but with very slightly less force. Start there (you don’t need that much torque but you want to be sure you are getting enough initially).

If that does not work, you have a bad torque sensor or something.

In addition to the blue flashing, you should be getting a message on the center of the left hand screen panel to apply light turning force to the steering wheel.

@DopeGhoti Very good advice. I am still having some difficulty keeping the car in Autopilot without the Blue Light special showing up, but I did make sure to apply a little torque and I think that I solved the problem of it turning off. It seems that whenever I turn on Autopilot, it drifts to the left, as if it's going to cross over to another lane. It was very scary, until I figured that I was always turning it on when a car on the left was about to pass me. The problem wasn't the car, it was me. I kept thinking that it was trying to cross over and cause an accident, when I discovered that I like to drive a little too far to the right in the lane and it was correcting me. I am also only turning it on when I'm in the right or slow lane and when there is no car to my left within 100 yards. That's how I discovered my error.

I am Still having some issues with the torque and totally agree with you that it is not the holding of the wheel that produces a response, because believe me I was hanging on for dear life in the beginning. But I can say that the raising and or lowering of the volume on the left scroll wheel worked like a charm to keep the car in Autopilot. Thanks @brobinson .

Still learning. But I think it's me! :).

Reactions: DopeGhoti
I read on a different forum that the amount of torque required to satisfy the nag varies depending on the steering setting. I have not personally verified this yet, but I read that when the steering is in the "Sport" mode, more torque is required to let the car know your hand is on the wheel. When it is in "Comfort" mode, it requires less torque to turn off the nag.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Finally mastered Autopilot. Incidental note, if it's on Comfort and not Standard steering, the nag takes a bit longer to show up. I have also noted that at 55 MPH there is also a significant delay in the nag screen showing up.

A few other nuances. If you feel a tug when you first set autopilot, it's the car centering (at all costs) to the lane.

Love the car thus far.