Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question/s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All very good points regarding the CPO and I never really thought of the fact that they're probably highway miles which are better than start stop London low miles! Thanks again fellas, really appreciate it.

With EVs, stop start traffic is no problem for the drivetrain either. It's not like running an ICE in respect of engine wear. Actually makes them far more desirable as a low mileage city car.

Reactions: .jg.
With EVs, stop start traffic is no problem for the drivetrain either. It's not like running an ICE in respect of engine wear. Actually makes them far more desirable as a low mileage city car.

Ah ok, that's really good to know. :) I have been looking at the CPO on Tesla and although I know it's quite a bit more but it has all the features I want i.e AP 2.0, cream interior and the colour as well. I already have a black car with black interior so getting really tired of it, especially the keeping it clean part. What do you all think of this one: Inventory Search | Tesla

Ah ok, that's really good to know. :) I have been looking at the CPO on Tesla and although I know it's quite a bit more but it has all the features I want i.e AP 2.0, cream interior and the colour as well. I already have a black car with black interior so getting really tired of it, especially the keeping it clean part. What do you all think of this one: Inventory Search | Tesla

At that price you may as well order a brand new 75D. Range and performance will be much the same and so will the price at £78K with premium interior, metallic paint and AP2. If I was buying used I would be looking for an early facelift 75D for considerably less money.

There's no way I'd own a Tesla if I only drove 2,500 miles per year. I'd just have a used Leaf or Volt (Ampera), something more affordable. Small cars are much more practical in your area too.

I love driving and due to my circumstances get to put on roughly 40,000 miles per year.

The problem is with the leaf I'm really not liking the look of it. Also black cab drivers in London might mistake me for an uber driver and try to run me off the road or cut me off etc. They're vicious towards anything that even slightly looks like a prius! :p

The Tesla sales advisors would probably be able to get more up to information than that website and search their full inventory list.

"that website" spiders lots of car advertising sites to provide a comprehensive list, so way more scope than Tesla Inventory.

But of course for anyone wanting the peace-of-mind of buying direct from Tesla then its a one-stop-shop :)

Reactions: firewire
There's no way I'd own a Tesla if I only drove 2,500 miles per year. I'd just have a used Leaf or Volt (Ampera), something more affordable. Small cars are much more practical in your area too.

I love driving and due to my circumstances get to put on roughly 40,000 miles per year.

Depends on your circumstances and how much you want to drive a Tesla vs any old EV. There are certainly no shortage of them tootling around Central London! I have to say, the odd time I've driven through London in our MX, it was a pretty serene experience and didn't have any issues with the size. A Model 3 would probably be better suited to regular city life though. Maybe that's a good compromise for the OP?

Oh I can absolutely wait for a new build. No problem with that. however I just saw this new one New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla with the premium interior plus sun roof and it's still less than what a custom build would have cost me. I really appreciate the feedback!

Hi FireWire, I went through all the dilemma of used car versus new car about 9 months ago, I was forever looking and checking out the stock. But it always looked liked waiting for a new custom build for me was best, pcp deal was great. Tesla Crawley were patient with me. Then I had to be patient for the “build wait “.
I got my model X and love it.

I live close ish to London and have been travelling in and of town this week, travelling through Chelsea, the Kings Road.
I always avoid Battersea bridge, even my ML was a tight fit through the posts.
It’s great being congestion charge free ( don’t forget to register as electric £10 ), then parking in Westminster , pay for 10 mins 80/90 pence on the app, and park for 4 hours ( normally £20 ). Seen so many Tesla’s parking around Manchester square this week, more like a convention.

If you fancy a trip out around where you are, I am more than happy to stop by, and go through all the advantages. Let me know, and any questions, 6 months in and enjoying all the benefits.

Hey RB72, thanks for the offer. really appreciate it. Yes I know what you mean as I was just discussing with my partner about avoiding the width restrictions which I hate with a passion. There's one on Albert bridge that is a pain as well. I'm planning to visit the Westfield Mall tomorrow or Monday and speak to a Tesla rep since I haven't received a call back yet. Hopefully will have some good news soon! :)

Oh I can absolutely wait for a new build. No problem with that. however I just saw this new one New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla with the premium interior plus sun roof and it's still less than what a custom build would have cost me. I really appreciate the feedback!

I agree, new inventory is a good option when there are savings over a custom build. I just wouldn't bother with the nearly new ones, which seem relatively expensive to me. When I bought our X, the PCP deal on a custom build made it a no-brainer at the time, but they are not so great today and with your ultra-low mileage you would probably be better off avoiding PCPs with minimum 10K miles/annum.

When I bought our X, the PCP deal on a custom build made it a no-brainer at the time, but they are not so great today and with your ultra-low mileage you would probably be better off avoiding PCPs with minimum 10K miles/annum.
So you're saying in my case it would be better to just outright pay cash rather than go with the PCP? BTW had a test drive yesterday and absolutely loved the MS, just seemed so relaxed and so surreal how quiet it was while driving in the underground parking lot of the Westfield mall. Only thing was I had to be very careful about going through narrow exits as the size is definitely quite intimidating at first. I asked the sales guy about having a 360 camera view and he said there's a strong possibility that might be coming soon, if that's true then I'd be very happy but he said the car can go through the 6'6" width restrictions without any issues but I still would avoid those.

I called John Lewis car insurance and they said no one had ever called about the Tesla and the quote they gave me was £2000! Anyway I guess it will be direct line as I got about £1100 from them. I was surprised that the WiFi feature is 100/year as I thought it was free for the life of the car. In the end I'm really close to owning one quite possibly the MS 75D as I think that would be better suited for me.

So you're saying in my case it would be better to just outright pay cash rather than go with the PCP? BTW had a test drive yesterday and absolutely loved the MS, just seemed so relaxed and so surreal how quiet it was while driving in the underground parking lot of the Westfield mall. Only thing was I had to be very careful about going through narrow exits as the size is definitely quite intimidating at first. I asked the sales guy about having a 360 camera view and he said there's a strong possibility that might be coming soon, if that's true then I'd be very happy but he said the car can go through the 6'6" width restrictions without any issues but I still would avoid those.

I called John Lewis car insurance and they said no one had ever called about the Tesla and the quote they gave me was £2000! Anyway I guess it will be direct line as I got about £1100 from them. I was surprised that the WiFi feature is 100/year as I thought it was free for the life of the car. In the end I'm really close to owning one quite possibly the MS 75D as I think that would be better suited for me.

The problem with a PCP for you is the minimum mileage you are effectively paying for. You might be better off buying outright or using more traditional hire purchase finance. The PCP deals are great if you intend to hand the car back at the end of the term, so you get the guaranteed minimum residual and walk away, but for your very low mileage that might not be to your advantage. If you are intending to keep the car long term, you can of course pay off the PCP balloon at the end of the term, but it will probably end up more expensive than hire purchase where you would be paying off more of the loan as you go along. Obviously depends on what finance rates Tesla are currently offering on PCP vs HP, but should be easy to calculate the total amount payable.

Paying for data is a new thing they added recently for new buyers. Up to then it was just free.

360 deg camera has been rumoured for a while, so I wouldn't bet on it appearing. But the capability and demand is there, so you never know!