Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question/s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"that website" spiders lots of car advertising sites to provide a comprehensive list, so way more scope than Tesla Inventory.

But of course for anyone wanting the peace-of-mind of buying direct from Tesla then its a one-stop-shop :)

That site also has some history of the car, if you click on an entry to open the extra detail, you’ll see a link to the cars history. It’s quite interesting to see the prices changes that have gone on. It’s way more informative than the Tesla website. This one for instance has dropped 10k in the last month

Tesla detail for 5YJSB7E20HF203540

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Well, I was intending to to the PCP which is currently 3.1% rate and then part exchange for the next big refresh.

If you buy it on PCP then you may as well drive it around for fun just to make up the 10k miles per annum, because I don't think they will give you any extra for the car with ultra-low mileage since the GMFV at 10k miles/annum is already pretty generous. Is 3.1% the PCP rate on inventory cars? Custom orders are currently showing higher at 4.9%.

Yes, 3.1% on inventory cars.

That's probably your best option then on a PCP. But in your case I would compare the total cost against hire purchase. It would be a shame to have to hand the car back with nothing to show for it after 3 years with only 7.5k miles on the clock!

The Tesla PCP deals really favour higher mileage drivers, especially if they still have the 7p/mile unlimited excess charge. I'm expecting to hand mine back at the end of a 4 year PCP with around 60-70k miles on the clock i.e. with 49.5% residual plus a £1400 + vat excess. Now imagine if it only had 10k miles on the clock when I handed it back. I very much doubt they would offer much, if any, additional residual value, so my cost/mile would be astronomical. The better option at that point might be to pay off the PCP balloon and try to sell privately for more money, but would you get more than 50% back on a private sale? Very doubtful I would have thought, although the very low mileage would help. The only other option then is to keep the car longer term, but then you miss out on any new major developments and risk out of warranty running costs etc. Plus the PCP finance might work out pretty expensive compared to hire purchase because of the interest on the large balloon.

That's probably your best option then on a PCP. But in your case I would compare the total cost against hire purchase. It would be a shame to have to hand the car back with nothing to show for it after 3 years with only 7.5k miles on the clock!

I agree and that's why I definitely plan to use the car much more than the BMW which to be honest I never really enjoyed driving most probably due to the terrible pothole-ridden London roads plus the run-flat tires it has. I know a lot of BMW drivers switched to regular tires for this very reason but I just couldn't be bothered plus the convenience of not getting stuck on a highway with a blown out tire was not really worth it for me. But yes, my BMW MSport has been great otherwise i.e other than one fluid change from the dealership I never really needed to do much but the harsh ride in the city just puts me off the true pleasure of the ultimate driving machine and is better suited on country roads. Me and my partner do plan to go on trips even if for weekends just to get away from London and the cheap supercharging is another huge incentive to use the car more frequently. :)

BTW, do you intend to go for another Tesla when you hand in your current MX or a different EV brand?

...the convenience of not getting stuck on a highway with a blown out tire was not really worth it for me.

Owning a Tesla is worse than BMW, they only offer limited support if you get a flat and there is no spare.

You've also missed the unlimited free super charging.

I'd wait until October and see if they bring back unlimited but I doubt it is coming back any time soon, or buy a used car from 2016 or before

You've also missed the unlimited free super charging.

When I was visiting Tesla last Sunday they gave me until Saturday to decide if I want to go ahead with the purchase (PCP) or not but will keep the Unlimited supercharge if I paid a £4000 deposit (refundable) which I paid while I was there. Yes they did advise me about the flat tire issue and said they sell some kind of a tire repair kit for this purpose so I'll buy it if I do decide to go for the deal.

I haven't had a spare in cars I've owned for the last decade. Carting the weight around all the time is not good I suppose ... and I have a pump + gunge ... but that isn't going to help if I rip the sidewall out of the tyre ...

(I might be remembering the first Golf Blue Motion ... maybe it had a space saver)
Oh I agree, I was just responding to the comment about BMWs being a liability when not on run flats and a Tesla is no different.

I agree and that's why I definitely plan to use the car much more than the BMW which to be honest I never really enjoyed driving most probably due to the terrible pothole-ridden London roads plus the run-flat tires it has. I know a lot of BMW drivers switched to regular tires for this very reason but I just couldn't be bothered plus the convenience of not getting stuck on a highway with a blown out tire was not really worth it for me. But yes, my BMW MSport has been great otherwise i.e other than one fluid change from the dealership I never really needed to do much but the harsh ride in the city just puts me off the true pleasure of the ultimate driving machine and is better suited on country roads. Me and my partner do plan to go on trips even if for weekends just to get away from London and the cheap supercharging is another huge incentive to use the car more frequently. :)

BTW, do you intend to go for another Tesla when you hand in your current MX or a different EV brand?

At this point I fully intend to get another Tesla - but only if they still have a competitive car at the time (Feb 2022). I'm hoping for an all new MX by then, which could be stunning if they continue tp push the boundaries. None of the newly announced competitors look any better than the current MX to me. The iPace is too small for us and the Audi & Merc EVs look pretty dull in both styling and performance. I expected better competition to be honest.

When I was visiting Tesla last Sunday they gave me until Saturday to decide if I want to go ahead with the purchase (PCP) or not but will keep the Unlimited supercharge if I paid a £4000 deposit (refundable) which I paid while I was there. Yes they did advise me about the flat tire issue and said they sell some kind of a tire repair kit for this purpose so I'll buy it if I do decide to go for the deal.

Unlimited supercharging is going to be of little or no benefit in your case unless you seriously start ramping up your long haul trips - but it is a good excuse to do just that!

None of the newly announced competitors look any better than the current MX to me. The iPace is too small for us and the Audi & Merc EVs look pretty dull in both styling and performance. I expected better competition to be honest.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed at what Mercedes and Audi have come up with. I'm sure their interiors are very comfy and of the highest quality but the whole overall design suggests they still cannot seem to get away from their ICE design or maybe just want to play it safe.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed at what Mercedes and Audi have come up with. I'm sure their interiors are very comfy and of the highest quality but the whole overall design suggests they still cannot seem to get away from their ICE design or maybe just want to play it safe.

Focusing on interior bling seems to be their only selling point these days. Yet their interior tech and user-interfaces always seem about 10 years behind the curve and are rarely intuitive. Tesla were brave enough to throw out most of the knobs, buttons and dial gauges in favour of something far more current/intuitive and just look at how that has divided opinion! It makes you realise how conservative most buyers of luxury cars actually are, but hardly surprising when you consider the buyer demographics.

As it happens I think Tesla seats (MX ones at least) are as comfy as Porsche seats too and the synthetic leather doesn't crease like the Porsche ones do!

Edit: Of all current crop of luxury cars, I actually rate Volvo interiors higher than the Germans. Volvo seats in the latest XC60/90 are super comfortable and I like the Scandi design, but their touchscreens are not as responsive or intuitive to use as the Tesla ones and their version of AP is miles behind. But it was the Tesla drivetrain that really blew me away. The Volvo T8 hybrid is simply not in the same league. Driving them back-to-back was a real eye-opener for me!

Last edited:
Firewire - I see you are in Chelsea. I am happy to meet you and take you out for a ride and chat if you want, PM me.

Tesla were brave enough to throw out most of the knobs, buttons and dial gauges in favour of something far more current/intuitive and just look at how that has divided opinion! It makes you realise how conservative most buyers of luxury cars actually are, but hardly surprising when you consider the buyer demographics.

This really reminded me of when Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone and did away with all the buttons and just had a giant screen (for it's time). BTW I like Mercedes anti-collision system and the night time pedestrian detection:
don't know if Tesla has this yet or if they will include it soon.

pedestrian detection
With AP2.5 which you will have on your car the hardware is there to detect everything from trucks, cars, motorcycles and with some updates humans it’s just a matter of software updates when they start to push out fully autonomous. The radar and sensors are super accurate. Looks like the MB is using FLIR thermal cameras to get heat signature. Tesla will use the radar and triple forward facing cameras to do the same thing however rely on AI to work out where the pedestrian is and if there is a risk to sound an alert or slow down automatically.

Even on the older cars I’ve seen videos where someone steps out in the road and the tesla stops.

Here’s the video

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteski
This really reminded me of when Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone and did away with all the buttons and just had a giant screen (for it's time). BTW I like Mercedes anti-collision system and the night time pedestrian detection:
don't know if Tesla has this yet or if they will include it soon.

I haven't seen the latest Merc system, but their last attempt at AP was pretty woeful in both its user operation and functionality.

But there are some relatively standard things that Tesla seem to have skipped over, like a 360 degree surround view (rumoured to be coming for a long time), blind spot warning etc. I suspect a lot of this is down to their ambition to introduce FSD, but I think they grossly over-estimated that task and now need to re-visit some of these missing features. Half-decent auto-parking partly compensates for the lack of a 360 deg camera view, but it can't be used in every situation, so sometimes you have to make do with the large rear view camera, parking sensors and mirrors, which are all good, but not as convenient or complete as a proper 360 deg view.

Tesla has a pretty standard AEB system with a pre-warning buzzer that you can set to 3 different sensitivity levels. I expect that would pick up pedestrians in your path, but haven't tested it yet! Often I get warnings when approaching parked cars on the road, so it definitely works for vehicles. I use TACC a lot too and along with AEB it takes care of most things that might get in your path. For example it picks up cyclists effectively. If anything it's a little too conservative at times, but I can see why they would do that.