Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question/s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I'm currently living in Chelsea, London and own a 2006 BMW 330i auto which I bought back in 2012 as a CPO from BMW. The car has been running perfectly fine since I bought it but now I'm getting that new car itch which I'm sure you all can understand. I have been very much interested in a Tesla ever since the first roadster was released but never really thought I would ever own one.

The first time I saw a Tesla Model S in real life was at my local Westfield Mall in London a few years ago and absolutely fell in love, especially the huge center touchscreen as I'm very much into latest gadgets, but couldn't afford one until now. So here's my issue, I drive about 2500 miles per year on average since everything I need for my day to day needs is right around me so rarely need to use my car for groceries, travel within central London etc.

Do you think a Tesla PCP would be better than a cash purchase? Also I'm wondering if I should wait until Tesla releases the next face lift Model S? Seems like a lot of chatter online about the next refresh coming either late this year or next year. I would also like to hear what previous BMW owners have to say after switching to a Model S. Thanks!

Hi I would personally buy PCP due to the rate of tech change, everything is moving so fast. Tesla haven’t hinted to a refresh and no details given. Think Tesla have plenty on their plate with model 3, model Y , semi and roadster 2.0 before thinking of refreshes. I think a 75D would be perfect for you. Check your PM I am based in London too if you want a ride in the car and a chat.

Last edited:
thank you for your replies. Yes I think PCP will definitely be a better option in this case. Right now I'm trying to shop for insurance on compare the market and so far I'm getting crazy high prices like £1800. Maybe calling them might be a better idea.

thank you for your replies. Yes I think PCP will definitely be a better option in this case. Right now I'm trying to shop for insurance on compare the market and so far I'm getting crazy high prices like £1800. Maybe calling them might be a better idea.

Try Direct Line...

Insure My Tesla - Motor Vehicle Insurance

Once you get the online quote, if you are getting EAP/FSD then you can get a little more off the price by calling them rather than finishing the process online and tell them about the EAP and the price goes down a bit.

Reactions: .jg.
Yeah I’m with direct line about 730 for the year..

Free pouch... where is mine? Lol

Wow! That's really good. Just did an online quote on direct line and got an estimate of £1298/yr. I'm pretty sure it's because I have held a UK driver's license for only 5 years after moving to UK from US. Have a totally clean record since getting my UK license.

Yes, there is a select team at Direct Line for premium cars - call 0800 533 5200. I could hardly believe how good was their quote on my model X100D.

If you have the money, I would suggest getting a 100D, I am sure you will use your new Tesla a lot more than you think (will want too!) and will make road trips where the extra range from the larger battery will be beneficial. Also don’t fail to get Autopilot. It works really reliable on more major UK roads and makes driving so much more relaxing and enjoyable (even heavy traffic causes no stress).

Don’t wait for updates, the present car is fantastic and I am sure will be be the best car you have ever owned.

A friend asked me yesterday what I do not like about my new Tesla (I got mine in July) and I had trouble thinking of anything. It is a purchase which has given me much pleasure and I have never regretted for a second. I can’t imagine now ever wanting to drive other than Tesla :). In fact have even hired a model S while in the USA on business trip, rather than drive anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: shthpnz
Oh Wait, just did another tesla quote on Direct Line and now got a quote of £2200+ per year. My Tesla dream is dying a cruel death! :eek:

But yes, I have asked my partner who has been driving in London for a very long time to call Direct Line tomorrow and try her luck. Even though she thinks it's a huge waste of money as we hardly use our current car but then she is my sane half for a reason! I tried to reason by saying hey at least we will be saving polar bears! :D

So here's my issue, I drive about 2500 miles per year on average

That is going to be a seriously expensive cost/mile!!!
Have you thought about buying a used one? The problem with a Tesla PCP is that the minimum mileage is 10K per annum so you will be effectively paying for 4x the actual mileage you need. In your shoes I would probably try to find a very low mileage lease deal or consider an approved used car from Tesla.

As for waiting, there will always be something new around the corner and it sounds like you've already done enough waiting already! Rumour is an interior refresh sometime in 2019, but no sign of a complete new model in the next couple of years, probably 2021.

Going from a 2006 330i to a Model S is going to be a serious revelation in tech and performance! I had a BMW 330Ci of that vintage and it was okay at the time, nothing special, but the Tesla is literally from another planet!

Good luck!

Reactions: firewire
That is going to be a seriously expensive cost/mile!!!
Have you thought about buying a used one? The problem with a Tesla PCP is that the minimum mileage is 10K per annum so you will be effectively paying for 4x the actual mileage you need. In your shoes I would probably try to find a very low mileage lease deal or consider an approved used car from Tesla.

As for waiting, there will always be something new around the corner and it sounds like you've already done enough waiting already! Rumour is an interior refresh sometime in 2019, but no sign of a complete new model in the next couple of years, probably 2021.

Going from a 2006 330i to a Model S is going to be a serious revelation in tech and performance! I had a BMW 330Ci of that vintage and it was okay at the time, nothing special, but the Tesla is literally from another planet!

Good luck!

Thanks for your input Peteski, yes I agree with the cost/mile point. I have considered CPO from Tesla and at the moment the cheapest is this one:
Inventory Search | Tesla UK

47K miles in just 2 years is quite high and therefore I'm kinda thinking of staying away from it. Anyway I can wait a bit more and see what an interior refresh would bring since at the moment the Model S interior really needs some serious upgrade. Considering the fact that the 2018 Mercedes S Coupe is just slightly more than the MS 100D but the interior really looks like the money you are paying.

I was almost going to go for it but then there's something about ICE that just makes me think I'm investing huge amount of money in past tech, plus the fact that you cannot update the software even though there are some interesting features of the S class I wish the Tesla had like the Magic Vision Wiper System, Multi-beam LED lights or Audi's Matrix LED with laser headlights. I'm sure Tesla will feature at least new adaptive LED lights in their next major refresh in 2020/21.

Anyway, in the meantime I will keep checking Tesla CPO as I'm sure there will be a good deal soon enough. I'm just really excited about finally getting to own a Tesla! :)

I just got insurance quote with direct line 2 days ago for £334, ended up staying with admiral on a multi car policy for just a little more. reason why, I wanted insurance there and then and saved a 15 minute phone call.
cant believe the prices you have been quoted, or maybe my 15+ years no claims , low mileage and my old age counts at last

Thanks for your input Peteski, yes I agree with the cost/mile point. I have considered CPO from Tesla and at the moment the cheapest is this one:
Inventory Search | Tesla UK

47K miles in just 2 years is quite high and therefore I'm kinda thinking of staying away from it. Anyway I can wait a bit more and see what an interior refresh would bring since at the moment the Model S interior really needs some serious upgrade. Considering the fact that the 2018 Mercedes S Coupe is just slightly more than the MS 100D but the interior really looks like the money you are paying.

I was almost going to go for it but then there's something about ICE that just makes me think I'm investing huge amount of money in past tech, plus the fact that you cannot update the software even though there are some interesting features of the S class I wish the Tesla had like the Magic Vision Wiper System, Multi-beam LED lights or Audi's Matrix LED with laser headlights. I'm sure Tesla will feature at least new adaptive LED lights in their next major refresh in 2020/21.

Anyway, in the meantime I will keep checking Tesla CPO as I'm sure there will be a good deal soon enough. I'm just really excited about finally getting to own a Tesla! :)

I can see why you would want to wait for a major interior refresh, but that could easily be a full year away and then you might get tempted to wait again for an all new model a couple of years later. One option is to get a relatively cheap used S today (say £40-50K budget) and then plan to trade it for a brand new all-singing-all-dancing S when it eventually appears (probably 2021/22). With your ultra-low mileage you should minimise depreciation as long as you buy something 3+ years old on a flattening depreciation curve. Then you get to drive an S right away for a lot less cash and can look forward to a brand new model down the line. In your shoes it makes more sense to buy the car outright (as you seem to have the cash) so you are not losing out on minimum mileage contracts or paying for finance you might not need.

Put it this way, even a very early pre-facelift S is going to be a lot nicer to drive than your 2006 BMW! The 2016 S 75D you linked to looks good too and even though the mileage is relatively high for 2016, you will soon convert it to a low mileage car in the next 3 years and warranty should cover any drivetrain issues.

47K miles in just 2 years is quite high and therefore I'm kinda thinking of staying away from it

I do that sort of mileage; its nearly all motorway, so "cruise", so if that's true for the car you are considering it may not be such a bad thing ... but should be great for 2nd hand price :)

It does put it very close to the 50K Warranty point though (dunno what extra/new warranty you get when purchaser from Tesla, maybe "enough"? ... and the battery/drive-train is longer anyway ... but you don't want to be playing to replace a door-handle 'coz its out of warranty)

plus the fact that you cannot update the software

Case in point: Tesla (and other makes) have had a problem with people spoofing the key fobs and stealing the cars. Can't quite remember when that started but seems like "only a few months ago" but Tesla have already released an update which allows you to require a "Pin Code to Drive" so in effect made the problem go away ... already :)