Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Seat Heaters - Worthless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car sits outside during the day while at work and the temperature is usually -10 Deg C and the heated seats work great, mind you they need to start at level 3 to get them up to temperature quickly (usually within a few minutes) but i put it down to 1 after it's been heated otherwise it's just too hot. The entire front of the seat and back of the seat are warm.

My car sits outside during the day while at work and the temperature is usually -10 Deg C and the heated seats work great, mind you they need to start at level 3 to get them up to temperature quickly (usually within a few minutes) but i put it down to 1 after it's been heated otherwise it's just too hot. The entire front of the seat and back of the seat are warm.

And do your seats have vertical or horizontal stitching on the front?

About 5f when I got in my nearly pre-warmed P85D after a lunch meeting. A minute later my bum and very lower back were toasty but the entire front half of my seat remained stiff and frozen (and rather uncomfortable) the entire drive home. Each drop in temp makes me less happy. I wonder if those nice warm seats in my son's Jetta would fit?

I think it's a give and take scenario. My 550's heated seats got hot quickly then significantly back off but when I enable, I typically use the low setting. It also has ventilated seats which the MS doesn't offer and in my car, it's a joke. You can't really feel the seats getting "cool" so I just never turn them on.

I think it's a give and take scenario. My 550's heated seats got hot quickly then significantly back off but when I enable, I typically use the low setting. It also has ventilated seats which the MS doesn't offer and in my car, it's a joke. You can't really feel the seats getting "cool" so I just never turn them on.

The ventilated seats on the Mercedes are VENTILATED, not cooled. It is an awesome feature when used the way it was intended. It is not designed to cool the seat per se but ventilate you and for that purpose it works really well. We use this feature sometime in conjunction with the heated seats on long drives as it makes for a soothing effect that makes the seat more comfortable as it circulates the air between you and the seat. Glad the Model X has this feature now and hopefully before long the ventilated seats will also be available with the Model S when they do the facelift.

Intriguing question, why? Do you have a picture of what you mean?

Standard seats (1.0, 1.1, and 1.5) have vertical stitching down the front where it meets your back. The next-gen seats (2.0) have horizontal stitching across the middle of where it meets your back. I asked this because it is unclear if Sheffie has next-gen seats and this thread is complaining about those seats' heaters being inferior (because of limited layout) compared to the standard seats. Sheffie states "The entire front of the seat and back of the seat are warm" and that sounds like the standard seats, not the next-gens.

Search for images of the standard vs. next-gen seats and look where it meets your back. You will see the difference in stitching.

- - - Updated - - -

Because next gen seat has horizontal stitching and standard leather seat has vertical stitching. Is Cyclone trying to confirm the type of seat Seffie commented on? :wink:

Exactly, because Sheffie said "The entire front of the seat and back of the seat are warm" and that sounds like the standards rather than the next-gens.

To be honest I'm surprised this is even an issue. I've lived in South Dakota my whole life where the winters can get pretty awful. I've had numerous vehicles with heated seats over the years and my P85D heated seats work just as well as anything else I've owned. Is there a heat consistency problem with the seats that owners are seeing out there. Maybe I'm just lucky and mine are working fine.

To be honest I'm surprised this is even an issue. I've lived in South Dakota my whole life where the winters can get pretty awful. I've had numerous vehicles with heated seats over the years and my P85D heated seats work just as well as anything else I've owned. Is there a heat consistency problem with the seats that owners are seeing out there. Maybe I'm just lucky and mine are working fine.

Same question I had for Sheffie before... where the seat meets your back, is the stitching vertical down the center or horizontal below the armpits?

Well, I guess i can only go by comparison between some cars
They work as good as 2013 Audi S6 of BMWs i've had in the past
It took little over a minute to get them warm after the car was sitting in 10F weather whole day
I just dont feel like there is anything wrong with them

Also, on 3 it gets uncomfortably hot after a few minutes

I don't have a problem with the warmth, I do with the pattern. My M3 had the front of the seat as well as the bolsters heated. The Model S does neither.

Are you not wearing a top when you sit down or something? I guess when it's cold enough for my seat warmer, I've got at least 2 layers on so I really don't notice the sides being cold.

I guess I should caveat that I almost always pre-warm the car using the app on my phone so it's rarely cold when I get in the thing. It has been in the 30s for about a week and I notice no difference between a Porsche Macan seat warmers and my nextgen seats. Perhaps I've simply never experienced better so I don't know what I'm missing, OP.

From @EarlyAdopter on pg 4 of this thread:

FLIR0260.jpg

This is after driving for 20 minutes. You can quite clearly see that the back portion of the seat bottom is quite hot, the front portion of the seat bottom is slightly warm from his legs, and the space between his legs is rather cool. Where his legs were would have been cool before he sat there for 20 minutes. You can also see that the side bolsters on the seat bottom are not heated (which is not unusual for many cars though manufacturers are increasingly heating these due to complaints from customers).

Keep in mind that this image was done after he'd warmed his car and then driven for 20 minutes. Also the car interior had only gone down to 43f prior to pre-heating. This is very different from getting in a car that began at 8f interior and had not yet been driven for 20 minutes.