Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next generation of battery pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I sure this has benen on the agenda before but I can't find it.
So is there anyone that knows if and when a new more efficient battery pack are coming to Model S?
I suspect that Tesla wouldn't say that in 5 month we will have a new better battery, not so god for short term business. But anyway any rumors? It has to comeback some time.

I read some rumors about possibly adding a second battery (potentially Lithium-Air), which would provide ancillary range boost. It's not a proven tech, so I have my doubts about Tesla adopting it. Tesla is doing the right thing by going with a tried and true battery chemistry and not getting too exotic (aka unreliable/untested). There are other areas besides the main battery pack that could potentially improve range: better/more aggressive regeneration (not only brakes, but shocks), software improvements to extend the motors' efficiency, or even building batteries into the body of the car itself. I've read some interesting information about graphene that may hold some promise for future (Graphene Batteries).

@elonmusk: Should mention that a battery pack upgrade is not coming soon for the Model S, but it obviously *will* happen long-term.

Just got really excited abut this, always assumed the battery could be upgraded down the line. Loving my Model S more after the Elon tweet.

Hi, thanks for the answers. Then it's just a bonus if it's possible to upgrade the battery pack in 3 years time.

While I'd like to hope that Musk meant that when a new battery is available, existing Model S vehicles could be upgraded, I'm not sure that's what he meant. He easily could have been referring to an upgrade to The Model S as a model, but not meaning that upgrades would be available for cars that have already been built.

While I'd like to hope that Musk meant that when a new battery is available, existing Model S vehicles could be upgraded, I'm not sure that's what he meant. He easily could have been referring to an upgrade to The Model S as a model, but not meaning that upgrades would be available for cars that have already been built.

I think it's pretty obvious that in a few years, assuming Tesla is still in business (and I don't mean that to point out a problem -- just stating the obvious that the car business is tough and they are still very young), they will have no choice but to eventually release an updated battery pack for the current generation Model S. The Model S Signature batteries will start degrading sufficient enough to require replacement, and Tesla will have to offer something to these customers to purchase, and it would be foolish to still be producing these batteries based on "10 year old" technology 10 years from now. It may not be for a long while, though (say 2020 to coincide with the 8-year warranty expiring).

I would love to have an upgrade, and use my current battery for my company as back-up power and as storage for solar panels.

I suspect that the program will be primarily designed as a trade-in so that they may refurbish the packs with new cells and recycle the old.

Buying a new pack outright will undoubtedly be more expensive...

Last edited:
I suspect that the program will be primarily designed as a trade-in so that they mat refurbish the packs with new cells and recycle the old.

Buying a new pack outright will undoubtedly be more expensive...

Yes, but much cheaper when you want a battery at home/office. Price per kWh is much better at Tesla what I have seen so far comparing to battery suppliers for buildings.

With the ability to battery swap and the flexibility of OTA software on current Model S cars, I tend to lean towards Tesla providing an in-place upgrade (buying new is always an alternative option). If they offer a reasonable trade-in value for the old battery, it could make for an interesting decision: whether to buy a "new" car or just upgrade the battery pack and any other required parts on the "old" one.

The Battery Upgrade route would certainly increase the value of the Model S in the secondary market.
Reduces a certain amount of risk.
I would love to have the option of upgrading the pack and some other bits for the latest drivetrain tech when it is
technically and economically feasible.
I suspect that a few hot shot firms will be building high performance crate Tesla motors, etc for the aftermarket.
Just a natural progression and what has always happened with ICE automobiles.

The Battery Upgrade route would certainly increase the value of the Model S in the secondary market.

I think the forward effect of the secondary market makes a battery upgrade almost imperative. If a model S battery becomes useless--even if after 200k hard charging miles (which is, give or take, when most people give up on assumed reliability of ICEs), that could be a significant setback to future sales.

At a minimum an affordable battery replacement needs to be available, but even then it will put the model S well behind other similarly priced vehicles that have more advanced technology.