Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an additional data point;
Had service request in pre-recall for an AP2 under warranty with HW3 installed already.

I am being positioned MCU 2 for $1500, radio upgrade for $500 optional. Looks like they are not offering the $250 difference for doing MCU 2 over the EEMC recall.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
As an additional data point;
Had service request in pre-recall for an AP2 under warranty with HW3 installed already.

I am being positioned MCU 2 for $1500, radio upgrade for $500 optional. Looks like they are not offering the $250 difference for doing MCU 2 over the EEMC recall.

I dont expect them to start offering the discount until after the march or april. If they still plan to. And of course. I think it will only be made as they reach out to you about the recall. If you pre schedule they will just let you pay $1500

$1500 without FM. Not confirmed yet, but if you wait until they contact you about the recall they plan to offer it for $1250
Thanks for the update. Let's hope this is correct. This would make the MCU upgrade with FM be around $1750 which I can probably swing it. Definitely don't like it, but might be worth it if the MCU can play Witcher 3... LOL Or is that only in the newest Tesla model s?

Have tesla employees stopped lurking around these forums? Earlier they used to and notice unhappy customers and remedy situations. There are so many unhappy customers who paid $2500 for upgrade after one of the software upgrade which started displaying diagnosis "degraded display, schedule service" and then they dropped the price

Have tesla employees stopped lurking around these forums? Earlier they used to and notice unhappy customers and remedy situations. There are so many unhappy customers who paid $2500 for upgrade after one of the software upgrade which started displaying diagnosis "degraded display, schedule service" and then they dropped the price

Elon doesn't care. Its all about the stock now. Lure in the buyers with great service, then build a cult like following, and cut costs

Reactions: InternetDude
My thoughts on the MCU/emmc pricing rumors.

1.MCU2 price was reduced to $1500 bc they are no longer bundling the install of HW3 with MCU2.

I don't think this is true, but if it is. Shame on Tesla and a possible lawsuit? Wouldn't this mean that they were charging people for hardware (HW3) that they claimed was included in the price of FSD. Of course some people like myself MCU1/HW3 didn't opt for the MCU2 upgrade so we got it free. But what about those that paid for the upgrade and got HW3 together.

2. They have two options, emmc replacement at say $500 that they pay for, or get the owner to pay for MCU2 $1500 (call this breakeven for MCU2 install)

So even if Tesla incentivizes buyers to get the MCU2 by say an extra $250 off, they still come out ahead vs emmc replacement at no cost. This is why I believe when the recalls start they will silently give owners the option of an extra discount on MCU2, eventually probably make it the standard price. Of course now they will allow anyone that wants to pay the full $1500.