Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA compels Tesla to recall FSD feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The weirdest thing about this is that "rolling stops" is certainly not amongst the most dangerous quirks/issues that FSD Beta has. I mean, you want to issue a safety recall, I would think the phantom braking issue or the inability to stay in its lane on a curvy road would be among the top safety issues of FSD Beta right now. I guess the one difference is that "rolling stops" is programmed in where those other issues are "just not there yet" sort of issues.

Are we really arguing about the meaning of the term recall?

Not knowing about this feature, I guess I would ask... if your goal is to perform 1000 safer than the average human driver,
why would you program a car that could roll through stop signs or exceeds the speed limits?

It seems like if NHTSA is going to require autonomous systems to follow the letter of the law, we humans are going to need to accept that the AV system is likely not going to drive like ourselves. Like going a bit over the speed limit, rolling stops are super common around here. We look left and right and make sure no one is coming. I don't think it's a dangerous maneuver unless you're barely slowing at all. But as far as AVs sharing the road with humans during this transitional period, there's going to be a lot of people annoyed at how AVs drive. It's going to drive like it's going for a 100 safety score.

If we ever get to a point where all cars are autonomous, and they can communicate and convoy, we won't need stop signs or traffic lights.

Reactions: tm1v2
Is this a slippery slope? If your FSD is not allowed to do a rolling stop, then what next? What about 5 miles above city speed limit allowance? What about 90 or 80 MPH allowance on freeways that are mostly legal at 65 MPH?
Yeah, I think that is the main question. The Jalopnik article had many people against allowing rolling stop, but many of them are the same people that would be up in arms if every car was forced to follow the speed limit.

If you allow the car to drive by itself then you are turning over control and the car will drive based on the rules it is given. Right now AP limits your speed to no more than 5-MPH over the speed limit on side roads (city streets). If you do not like the way the car drives then you should just drive it yourself.

BTW, rolling stops are flat out illegal while speeding is a grey area. In Georgia only State Police can write a ticket for less than 10-MPH over the limit!
It's not a gray area in California, the cops can write you a ticket for going 1 mph over the limit, California has a strict speed limit, yet few people follow it. The mechanism allowing this behavior is the same as for rolling stops: enforcement is lax because of so many people doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Ive been on every version since 10.2 and since they added the aggressive setting, I’ve never seen it roll at more than 1-2mph.

I really wish they didn’t advertise the rolling stops. Once the media outlets picked it up, it was just a matter of time before NHTSA came knocking. They should at least leave it for us Californians. California Rolls are basically the unspoken law here 😂
You could certainly be right but by the time 10.2 came out the faster California role at 5+mph was already included in FSD so the damage was done especially with all the Youtube videos highlighting the fast rolling stops. One wonders if the same attention would have happened if the rolling stops had been initially been at 1-2mph.

Is this a slippery slope? If your FSD is not allowed to do a rolling stop, then what next? What about 5 miles above city speed limit allowance? What about 90 or 80 MPH allowance on freeways that are mostly legal at 65 MPH?
It's a bit more tricky. Drivers are generally expected to flow with traffic even if traffic is speeding. So the vehicle may need to speed and only slow down when it _is_ the traffic flow.

Plus there are some laws that allow temporary speeding to overtake.

It may be some technical requirement to call it a “recall” but it’s misleading since what is happening is a software update. It feels more like clickbait for a news outlet to put that into the headline and story.

Yeah, I think that is the main question. The Jalopnik article had many people against allowing rolling stop, but many of them are the same people that would be up in arms if every car was forced to follow the speed limit.
What about U-turns (which I don't think FSD does yet) but is illegal in many places, legal in some, people often do them anyway.

Cutting the corner by using the gas station is illegal (or so I was told at driving school).

Some people reverse up a one-way street like they've figured out a loophole, or reverse up the on-ramp when they've missed the exit.

There's lots of illegal what-ifs, but many people do them. Even "assertive" (aggressive), or "Mad Max" modes might start to be looked at. When does assertive cross the line?

Some of Mobileye's New York driving is pretty assertive, maybe the argument is it needs to be, but is there an excessive limit?

Has anyone asked who is responsible for tickets that would be given because the car is doing rolling stops or doing things that can result in a ticket? If the car is programmed to do that, would it actually be responsibility of Tesla to pay for the ticket if they are knowingly implementing an illegal maneuver?

Has anyone asked who is responsible for tickets that would be given because the car is doing rolling stops or doing things that can result in a ticket? If the car is programmed to do that, would it actually be responsibility of Tesla to pay for the ticket if they are knowingly implementing an illegal maneuver?

Good question but I am not sure there's an answer.

NHTSA does hold Tesla responsible for the "Passenger Play" feature and made Tesla take that off.

NHTSA does hold Tesla responsible for the "Rolling Stop" feature and made Tesla take that off.

But NHTSA is not your local cop or traffic court, so how do you translate that to avoid tickets is another unanswered question.