Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA crash tests results/videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S vs. M1 Abrams Tank

Given the just-released full details of the NHTSA crash test results (late on 19 August, 2013), it has become evident that yet one more example of sandbagging has occurred. Press Release: Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

It is not appropriate that the Model S be tested against other production automobiles. No, it appears its worthy competitor is...the M1 Tank. Abrams Tank Fact File for the United States Army
:biggrin:

Last edited:
I just came back from a walk with my wife and we talked about the safety ratings press release the whole time. Here's some thoughts:

1. Highest safety ratings ever means Tesla knows how to design the safest cars in the world. It's possible Tesla can claim the "safest car in world" title in the minds of consumers.

2. Model X is likely to have similar safety ratings as the Model S because it's built on same platform. Model X is more of a family car and thus the safety ratings will likely increase demand for the Model X.

3. "Safest car ever" is a great advertising slogan (ie., at the end of a TV commercial). But they'd probably have to say "highest safety ratings ever tested".

4. This likely means Gen III will be a very safe car (similar safety advantages that Model S claim).

5. "Safety car ever" is something that is very easily communicated with other people, maybe even easier than "best car ever by Consumer Reports." This could help owners communicate/evangelize even more effectively.

6. This is a bonus for current Model S owners. They now know they have the safest car ever tested.

7. This could help the car in foreign countries like China because now the car has another high distinction from a 3rd party objective source (ie., U.S. govt) on the car. This safety rating and the consumer reports ratings are probably the two highest marks because they're from 3rd party objective (or relatively objective and highly regarded sources).

8. It's remarkable the Tesla as a relatively new car company could beat all other cars in the NHTSA safety ratings. It shows that Elon and his team had the right priorities and focus when designing the Model S. They focused first on safety and nailed it. Then, they focused on performance and nailed it. It's truly remarkable that Elon and his team were able to understand the concept of the car in its simplest form (ie., First Principle) and execute in a way that shows that they understand the essence of a car better than existing auto manufacturers.

Every time that Tesla achieves another 'first' or 'best ever,' I find myself amazed that a bunch of Silicon Valley nerds could pull off such a feat with all of the odds against new car companies, especially during a struggling economy . . . and then I pat myself on the back for having the faith to order the MS in October of 2009.

Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested | Press Releases | Tesla Motors
So, did the Model S do well in the small overlap crash test? I don't believe there is any mention of it in this Tesla article.
I hope it did well so it'll be Top Safety pick + rated. The car has to do decently well on the small overlap test in order to have the "+". It excelled in all other areas.

Also, does anybody know the actual roof crush strength weight?
Since the Tesla ia 4700 pounds with the largest battery pack, it should have 20,000 pound or higher peak forces, 25,000 would be awesome.

Roof strength evaluations: Small cars

Indeed... surely we're but hours away from a Motley Fool headline, "Tesla Model S: Is it Too Safe?"

The people who short the stock will read the Motley headline, think it over, and assume "Being Too Safe" is a bad thing.
And then load up for another period of misery.
Never worry about naysayers.
They have to live with themselves, in a world that nothing is ever good enough (for them) or right.

I remember Elon, at TESLIVE, spending a lot of time explaining the remarkable safety of Model S, mentioning that "it's the thing [safety] we're most proud of" and explaining Tesla's unique approach in more detail, clip below (beginning at 24.06):

And, I love the portion of the Press Release -- after it explains how the Model S broke the testing machine during the roof crushing portion of the test -- where it mentions:

This is achieved primarily through a center (B) pillar reinforcement attached via aerospace grade bolts.

Another signal that those who think an "upstart" can't engineer a superior vehicle need to keep in mind that Elon puts rockets into space - which can be far more challenging than putting a car on the road. And, it looks like he's doing things that other car manufacturers haven't even thought of based on his Space X expertise...

Last edited by a moderator: