Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nice Bike Rack for the X....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hadn't seen that alan bolt lock before. Does it have anything to keep it from rattling back and forth in the hole when inserted and locked?

Its a new device they offer...and yes you can tighten it down so there is no rattle...

There is a document on the 1upusa web site that shows all of the dimensions in all of the tilted configurations with lots of measurements.

quikrackdouble.pdf

It looks like it hangs 39.85 inches out from the end of the hitch and 15.95 inches below the bottom of the hitch when tilted down with 2 add-ons (4 bike configuration).

- - - Updated - - -
Yes you might still be able to tilt it down with 4 bike...I just don't have that configuration

That's odd. On my single rack I just pull a lever bar and it tilts right away - no ball screw to rotate at all...?

There is a spring loaded, finger rotatable ball screw that locks the lever bar into position so the lever bar will not accidentally become disengaged from the detents in which it sits. It is probably not needed as the lever bar is also spring loaded and likely would not move, but the ball screw locking mechanism is another level of security...

There is a spring loaded, finger rotatable ball screw that locks the lever bar into position so the lever bar will not accidentally become disengaged from the detents in which it sits. It is probably not needed as the lever bar is also spring loaded and likely would not move, but the ball screw locking mechanism is another level of security...
Wow, never even saw that before. I suppose it's time I found the owner's manual and really looked through it (I never spent that 15 minutes when I got it...) ;)

It has been noticed that according to the design studio the Accessory Hitch is now 2" receiver. It'll be interesting to hear what the weight limit is.

Sorry, nothing about the rack, or bikes to add at this time. Except that I didn't ride mine today. :-(

It has been noticed that according to the design studio the Accessory Hitch is now 2" receiver. It'll be interesting to hear what the weight limit is.

Sorry, nothing about the rack, or bikes to add at this time. Except that I didn't ride mine today. :-(

Weight limit is 200lbs for the hitch...The 2 bike rack weight is 60lb and the 4 bike rack weighs 96lbs...so even with 4 carbon bikes you should be under the 200lb limit

According to the owner's manual someone just posted on Facebook, "Model X is designed to support a bicycle carrier of up to 120 lbs (55 kg)". That same paragraph has a note that the hitch is 1.25", so YMMV...

OK, it gets even weirder. The paragraph before the one that mentions 120 lbs says "To support the installation of a carrier (such as a bicycle rack) on the rear of Model X, the optional towing package is required". A note on the following paragraph specifically mentions "The accessory hitch is designed to attach a 1.25" hitch accessory only." so it seems they are providing a few bits of conflicting information.

In the interest of saving 1000 words:

Attachments

• Bicycle Carriers.png
    Bicycle Carriers.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Agred FesterFeet, the manual is incongruent with what we heard/saw at the reveal and other Tesla communication. The 1.25" was SPECIFICALLY for bike/ski/surf racks. BUT, now the 1.25" accessory hitch is already outdated - on the design page it changed to a 2" accessory hitch. What I am trying to find out is, does the 2" tow package hitch allow more weight to be carried via rack than the 2" accessory hitch. This will be my mountain biking car now, and I may be taking 3 buddies with me, so the beefier the setup, the better. I doubt I will ever tow anything though.

Vangogh, you mentioned a 200 lb weight limit. Was that for the accessory hitch or the towing hitch (or both)

Thanks!

With 22" wheels the tow package allows 350 lbs tongue weight. With 20" wheels it allows 500 lbs tongue weight. Both are significantly higher than the 120 lbs seen in the manual above and also higher than the 200 lbs number that vangogh quoted.

Both of those specs could be old, though, since a number of sources claimed that it would be a 1.25" receiver. Now that they've proceeded with building the cars with a different part measuring 2", the allowed weights might be revised as well. It's not uncommon to get 3rd party bolt-on hitches for bike racks that can carry 300-500 lbs on the tongue, especially in 2" sizes.

Tongue weight is the static downward weight exerted on the hitch. As all the weight of the carrier and the bikes are well behind the hitch and will not be static, the force exerted on the hitch will be considerably more than the 120/200lbs or whatever the actual limit is as specified as a maximum carrier weight set out by Tesla.

Agred FesterFeet, the manual is incongruent with what we heard/saw at the reveal and other Tesla communication. The 1.25" was SPECIFICALLY for bike/ski/surf racks. BUT, now the 1.25" accessory hitch is already outdated - on the design page it changed to a 2" accessory hitch. What I am trying to find out is, does the 2" tow package hitch allow more weight to be carried via rack than the 2" accessory hitch. This will be my mountain biking car now, and I may be taking 3 buddies with me, so the beefier the setup, the better. I doubt I will ever tow anything though.

Vangogh, you mentioned a 200 lb weight limit. Was that for the accessory hitch or the towing hitch (or both)

Thanks!

I took the 200lb weight limit for something hanging off the 2" hitch with tow package...not towing..The weight limit there with 20" wheels is 5000lbs for towing

I don't think the manual posted online is up to date.

That being said, I'll opt for the tow package as that 1up rack is beefy and I plan on putting 4 bikes on it regularly as well, and MAY get a wild hair and tow with it someday.

I'm sure the accessory hitch will handle the 1up and 4 bikes fine. I bet they realized they were limiting folks with the 1.25" receiver and switched because there are plenty of 1.25" to 2" adapters available.

I just did the accessory hitch on mine - I must admit I will be a bit ticked if they already made that obsolete and I don't have my car yet... Perhaps they can retrofit the 2". I didn't need or want the towing.
Well the current design studio for the production car says it's a 2" hitch but also says that this can be added at Tesla Service Centers starting the middle of this year (new language). So if yours is already being built with a 1.25" accessory hitch, it seems like you can probably get them to swap it out for a 2" hitch at the service center at some point in the future. I doubt they would charge for that since they're changing the spec so early after the first orders.

Well the current design studio for the production car says it's a 2" hitch but also says that this can be added at Tesla Service Centers starting the middle of this year (new language). So if yours is already being built with a 1.25" accessory hitch, it seems like you can probably get them to swap it out for a 2" hitch at the service center at some point in the future. I doubt they would charge for that since they're changing the spec so early after the first orders.

I just talked to my DS and they told me that I will have a 2" hitch.

IMG_20160317_092130.jpg
This Allen is a simple foldable bike rack. I adjusted the length of the extension to just miss the hatch while opening. I will do the same with the Model X. During the summer I leave my bike rack on almost all the time, it only comes off twice a week when I am at my sailing club and gets replaced with the trailer ball to launch and retrieve my sailboat.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever get a clear answer from Tesla on this incongruence?

I asked my DS since I have an accessory hitch 90D arriving in 9 days. I'm hoping it's just usual Tesla sloppiness -- but it is slightly disconcerting that the date of the Manual is mid-February and they should have had this all figured out by then.

(Honestly, I'm with the group that the optional towing package can't be required to use a bicycle/ski carrier -- otherwise I'm not sure why they used the pictures they did in the configuration screen).

According to the owner's manual someone just posted on Facebook, "Model X is designed to support a bicycle carrier of up to 120 lbs (55 kg)". That same paragraph has a note that the hitch is 1.25", so YMMV...

OK, it gets even weirder. The paragraph before the one that mentions 120 lbs says "To support the installation of a carrier (such as a bicycle rack) on the rear of Model X, the optional towing package is required". A note on the following paragraph specifically mentions "The accessory hitch is designed to attach a 1.25" hitch accessory only." so it seems they are providing a few bits of conflicting information.

In the interest of saving 1000 words: