Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a joke. The cynic in me always reads official statements a bit differently. But don't be surprised if Nissan's "improve the accuracy of the battery gauge" is equivalent to Apple's "improve the accuracy of the reception bars on the iPhone 4" (i.e., "just show less bars") when it had an antenna defect and wanted to blame bad reception.

Didn't they do this to the 12 Arizona leads? They examined them and then reset the computer to say 6 bars really = 8 bars or something to that affect.

In either case, I'm sure that a road test by the dealers will validate any warranty claims. For them to go to this length would be dumb for nissan to argue over crap like this.

Nissan announced that they will restore/replace the battery in the Leaf if the charge drops below a certain level. See Nissan upgrades US Leaf warranties, will 'restore' batteries that lose too much charge . Has Tesla announced any similar policy. I know the 85KWh battery is warrantied for 8 years, but I don't think they state the condition qualifying for replacement. Do they?

I got this from head of service at my nearest Tesla service center, "The battery warranty does not cover capacity loss. If the car can power up and drive 20 feet before running out of power, then there's no warranty claim. That said, if you lose that much capacity in 8 years then there is almost certainly something wrong with your battery other than simple capacity loss."

Nissan announced that they will restore/replace the battery in the Leaf if the charge drops below a certain level. See Nissan upgrades US Leaf warranties, will 'restore' batteries that lose too much charge . Has Tesla announced any similar policy. I know the 85KWh battery is warrantied for 8 years, but I don't think they state the condition qualifying for replacement. Do they?
If you read the press release, they are claiming they are the first to warranty capacity. Tesla, like everyone else, does not warranty capacity loss.

That said, 9 out of 12 "bars" (~75%) in 5 years / 60k miles, isn't really that significant of a battery warranty. Pretty much any pack can accomplish it (it's pretty much a worse case assumption, I have previously mentioned that based on battery degradation data, Tesla can safely offer a 3-5 year 40k/60k/80k mile capacity warranty for 70% degradation). Nissan is only offering it because of the all the bad press they got from their lack of liquid cooling causing accelerated degradation in hot areas (there's really concern the battery won't even be able to match that short warranty in those areas).
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7747-Standard-Warranty-Revealed/page13

Plus like others mentioned, the bars can always be tweaked.

That said, 9 out of 12 "bars" (~75%) in 5 years / 60k miles, isn't really that significant of a battery warranty.
Note that the bars are not linear. This had us all puzzled, but according to the 2011 shop manual, the first bar is worth 15% and the subsequent ones are 6.25%. Tony summed it up thusly earlier today:

Tony Williams said:
Second, losing one capacity bar is 15% loss in capapcity. The official battery capacity value, per the Nissan service manual for LEAF is as follows. It's important to note that Nissan removed all reference to this data in the April 2011 update of the service manual.

12 of 12 bars - 100% to 85%
11 of 12 bars - 84.99% to 78.75%
10 of 12 bars - 78.74% to 72.50%
9 of 12 bars - 72.49% to 66.25%
8 of 12 bars - 60% to 66.24%

Third, the new warranty will only apply if you have lost 4 bars (leaving 8 illuminated). You have a long way to go.

In other words, everything is Nissan Normal(TM).

Note that the bars are not linear. This had us all puzzled, but according to the 2011 shop manual, the first bar is worth 15% and the subsequent ones are 6.25%. Tony summed it up thusly earlier today:

I was really shocked when I learned that. What a horrid SOC representation. I really hope Nissan departs from this and offers a better SOC display. I want to see a numeric representation on on EV's. Not bars, faux fuel gauges, batteries, etc. A simple numeric value of the state of charge percentage is so much better.

I got this from head of service at my nearest Tesla service center, "The battery warranty does not cover capacity loss. If the car can power up and drive 20 feet before running out of power, then there's no warranty claim. That said, if you lose that much capacity in 8 years then there is almost certainly something wrong with your battery other than simple capacity loss."
But it's more nuanced then that. If all the bricks/sheets have lost capacity then yes, there is no warranty claim. But if a brick has significantly less capacity than the others (which drops your range as you can only drive as far as your weakest brick) then Tesla has replaced packs under warranty as the irregular drop implies a manufacturing problem whereas if they all go down together then the system is working correctly and you have simply used up the pack.

I was really shocked when I learned that. What a horrid SOC representation. I really hope Nissan departs from this and offers a better SOC display. I want to see a numeric representation on on EV's. Not bars, faux fuel gauges, batteries, etc. A simple numeric value of the state of charge percentage is so much better.
Actually, we don't want the state of charge expressed as a percent, at least not the way the LEAF does it. In the LEAF, the SOC percent is relative to the battery's current capacity, which changes on a daily basis with temperature, on a monthly basis with the seasons, and on a longer timeframe as the pack capacity degrades. It's hard to tell for sure, but I think the Roadster's charge gauge (and corresponding numerical values on the CAN bus) are relative to the capacity of a nominal new pack. Even better is the Tesla's display of the state of charge in absolute energy units: "ideal miles" on the Roadster and "rated miles" on the Model S.

There are threads on this but the data based on Roadster ownership points to this not being an issue for Tesla. The LEAF's air-cooled battery just can't take care of itself in anything but the mildest climates.

This is a really good move by Nissan and one that Tesla should follow. Actually, if it's not a big deal (as per Roadster experience), then Tesla shouldn't have missed out on the opportunity to provide this specific peace-of-mind warranty on the S battery to begin with.

I'm as big a Tesla fan as anyone but the battery-capacity warranty (or lack thereof) has always irked me.

I was really shocked when I learned that.
Tom, thanks for your comment. There are two sets of bars on the battery gauge in the LEAF. Many owners are surprised when they learn about this. Please have a look at the photo below, which I took at the Phoenix range test. It shows a LEAF with a full charge, but with three capacity bars missing. If I'm not mistaken, this car came in with 80.1% of original capacity remaining during the test, although it should be between 66.25% to 72.49% battery health per the gauge. This is likely the type of error Andy Palmer was referring to earlier this year. The capacity gauge is supposedly non-linear to reflect a large drop early in life of the vehicle, which should then level off and be almost linear later.

RYqDBV.jpg
teslamnl.gif

I want to see a numeric representation on on EV's. Not bars, faux fuel gauges, batteries, etc. A simple numeric value of the state of charge percentage is so much better.
Agreed. I would love to see a kWh estimate somewhere as well, if possible, much like what GM does in the Volt. Nissan has already confirmed that the 2013 model year LEAF will contain an SOC gauge in percent. Kadota-san directly attributed this change to a meeting held at Google last December.

googlenissanmeeting.png

This is a really good move by Nissan and one that Tesla should follow. Actually, if it's not a big deal (as per Roadster experience), then Tesla shouldn't have missed out on the opportunity to provide this specific peace-of-mind warranty on the S battery to begin with.

I'm as big a Tesla fan as anyone but the battery-capacity warranty (or lack thereof) has always irked me.

Indeed. It would be a very positive and desirable outcome to see other EV manufacturers to offer some form of capacity warranty. This would give owners peace of mind, and provide an additional incentive to invest in robust battery management systems, more durable chemistries, and last but not least, driver education. This type of safety net could result in higher vehicle resale value as well.

Last edited:
Indeed. It would be a very positive and desirable outcome to see other EV manufacturers to offer some form of capacity warranty. This would give owners peace of mind, and provide an additional incentive to invest in robust battery management systems, more durable chemistries, and last but not least, driver education. This type of safety net could result in higher vehicle resale value as well.
The problem is if the capacity warranty is too low (if I'm understanding correctly, it's even worse than I mentioned in the previous comment, it only applies if you hit 66.24% or lower in 5 years/60k miles), it might make matters worse. People will assume that's how the battery will perform, even though the warranty only covers for the worse case (basically overlapping with the defect warranty which every company has).

Nissan was lucky this time that most anti-EV people don't bother to look at the details (so simply hiding behind "9 bars out of 12" was enough to not cause a FUD attack based on this warranty).

Stopcrazypp hinted at it. It's just too complicated to spell out all the terms in our litigious society. Battery capacity depends on how the battery is used. Yes, Tesla does way more than anyone else to protect their batteries but there are still things a user can do to prematurely wear the batteries and Tesla would have to spell all of these things out in the warranty. How many times can you range mode charge per month? How long can it sit at a full range mode charge? How many times can you run it to zero or below? Spelling all of these things out would make people WAY more scared of buying an EV than what we have today where the warranty says the battery is covered for manufacturer's defects but not loss of capacity. ICE's aren't warrantied to have the same 0-60 or mpg 8 years after purchase, this is the same thing.

The best way to handle it is the way Tesla is doing it. Let early adopters take the risk and once there's 10+ years of data then people can make up their own minds. If you're nervous about the capacity then you (anyone reading this post) should wait to buy an EV (or buy a LEAF).

The best way to handle it is the way Tesla is doing it. Let early adopters take the risk and once there's 10+ years of data then people can make up their own minds. If you're nervous about the capacity then you (anyone reading this post) should wait to buy an EV (or buy a LEAF).
Yes, much will depend on implementation and interpretation of the warranty. Nissan gives every owner an annual battery report, which is supposed to be educational, and is based on detailed usage logs stored in the battery ECU.

While the report can only get better, it aims to provide feedback via a star rating system. If you let the car sit close to fully charged too often, for example, then perhaps you will only get four or three stars in that category on the report. Since it's annual, it provides the owner with ample opportunity to correct any behaviors grossly detrimental to battery health and battery life. Nissan could tie the warranty to the results of this report. Furthermore, this capacity warranty creates an additional incentive to create more robust battery systems, and spell out which practices proper battery care should entail.

What you said above is perhaps appropriate for EV enthusiasts, but it won't get this technology deployed in significant numbers. Average consumers will get very concerned if any battery capacity loss is all on them. They will not become EV and battery experts overnight, and won't take a large financial risk based on their understanding of how this all works. It needs to be a shared responsibility, where the manufacturer will back the representations made in the marketing materials and at the point of sale.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is if the capacity warranty is too low (if I'm understanding correctly, it's even worse than I mentioned in the previous comment, it only applies if you hit 66.24% or lower in 5 years/60k miles), it might make matters worse.

Nissan was lucky this time that most anti-EV people don't bother to look at the details (so simply hiding behind "9 bars out of 12" was enough to not cause a FUD attack based on this warranty).
I think the intent is to warranty 70% of capacity, much like GM does with the Volt. Typically, industry EOL criteria for a battery is either 70% or 75%, and this number is not too low in that context. Owners are asking Nissan to see if the threshold could be higher, we will know soon enough. I'm not a fan of the bars, and would prefer to see a numeric value in the center console. That said, Andy Palmer hinted at an upcoming software update, which should make the bars work well enough for the purposes of this warranty. It's an abstraction and a convenience, but presumably, once a LEAF has lost a certain number of bars, Nissan will bring it back up to spec. This will likely translate to a new battery in most cases.

Last edited:
I think the intent is to warranty 70% of capacity, much like GM does with the Volt. Typically, industry EOL criteria for a battery is either 70% or 75%, and this number is not too low in that context.
You can't only look at threshold, you also have to look at years and miles. The Volt's warranty is 8 years / 100k miles (10 year /150k miles in California). Tesla estimates 70% in 7 years /100k miles. Of course those represent average case (Volt gives a vague capacity warranty that doesn't not set a hard threshold for replacement, it's up to the technician to determine; Tesla doesn't cover capacity at all).

The Leaf warranty is to cover worse case, so 65-70% in 5 years/60k miles makes sense (again, I mentioned Tesla can safely offer a similar "worse-case" 3-5 years 40/60/80k mile warranty depending on battery capacity and still have no warranty claims). The only thing I'm concerned about is if that kind of warranty will cause consumers to be more concerned or less. In practical terms, any capacity warranty is really not going to be any better than a defect warranty (the terms will be written to make it that way). The Leaf's is an exception because they have a non-defect condition (hot weather) that makes their battery degrade much worse and so this warranty actually helps in PR more than it will hurt.

Agreed. I would love to see a kWh estimate somewhere as well, if possible, much like what GM does in the Volt. Nissan has already confirmed that the 2013 model year LEAF will contain an SOC gauge in percent. Kadota-san directly attributed this change to a meeting held at Google last December.
Do you know if this will be a percent relative to the pack's current capacity (like the SOC bars) or relative to a nominal new pack's capacity (like the capacity bars)? If it's just a numerical representation of the the SOC bars, then it tells owners nothing about how their battery capacity is changing. Knowing your charge percent relative to a constantly changing estimate of current pack capacity is only marginally more useful than the SOC bars. I hope the Bay LEAFs meeting conveyed our need for state-of-charge in absolute energy units.

While the report can only get better, it aims to provide feedback via a star rating system. If you let the car sit close to fully charged too often, for example, then perhaps you will only get four or three stars in that category on the report. Since it's annual, it provides the owner with ample opportunity to correct any behaviors grossly detrimental to battery health and battery life. Nissan could tie the warranty to the results of this report. Furthermore, this capacity warranty creates an additional incentive to create more robust battery systems, and spell out which practices proper battery care should entail.

What you said above is perhaps appropriate for EV enthusiasts, but it won't get this technology deployed in significant numbers. Average consumers will get very concerned if any battery capacity loss is all on them. They will not become EV and battery experts overnight, and won't take a large financial risk based on their understanding of how this all works. It needs to be a shared responsibility, where the manufacturer will back the representations made in the marketing materials and at the point of sale.
But to be in a warranty they will need to spell out EXACTLY what it takes to be in compliance. If they're going to deny anyone for capacity they will have to be able to point to what the person did "wrong" to cause them not to replace the pack. You didn't address my point that ICE's aren't warrantied to maintain performance (speed or efficiency) over time so how is this different? The only difference is that there is 100+ years of "common knowledge" related to ICE's but not EV's. So just like in the early days of ICE's people had to haul their own gas and sometimes get towed into a gas stations by a horse it was those pioneers that eventually made the ICE ubiquitous. EV's must follow the same adoption curve. People don't like change and short of a shooting war breaking out in the Middle East and gas shooting to $7+/gallon it's just going to take time.

Sorry for chiming in. I hope I understand the gist of your argument. What about an ICE that loses compression in one cylinder? Is that analogous to a BEV that loses charge in a set of cells?
If you lose charge in only one set of cells (and it's not a simple balance issue that can be fixed by balancing the pack charging it full), then that's a cell defect issue and is covered under the warranty (Tesla has replaced cells/slices for the Roadster because of this). If you lose charge evenly in all cells, then that's natural capacity loss and not covered (unless you have a capacity warranty).

A property analogy to a capacity warranty is if the car manufacturer dynos the car/ICE for performance or efficiency and replaces the engine if it performs under some number.

Do you know if this will be a percent relative to the pack's current capacity (like the SOC bars) or relative to a nominal new pack's capacity (like the capacity bars)? If it's just a numerical representation of the the SOC bars, then it tells owners nothing about how their battery capacity is changing. Knowing your charge percent relative to a constantly changing estimate of current pack capacity is only marginally more useful than the SOC bars. I hope the Bay LEAFs meeting conveyed our need for state-of-charge in absolute energy units.
Hi Tom, happy New Year, my apologies for the belated reply. I'm reasonably certain that the new SOC gauge will display just a percentage of current capacity, and not provide a measure of total usable capacity. While I agree with your POV, and several of us asked for a kWh estimate instead of another set of goofy numbers, it was difficult enough to convince the visitors from Japan that we did not find GOM estimates useful. What you see on the photo I referenced upthread is an informal survey, which was conducted to see if an SOC indicator was better than the current guessometer. We provided Nissan with a very detailed list of suggestions, and many items were compiled into a slide deck, which was translated into Japanese as well. There is a new section on the MNL wiki for product improvements and driver feedback: Lists of driver feedback - MyNissanLeaf

- - - Updated - - -

You can't only look at threshold, you also have to look at years and miles. The Volt's warranty is 8 years / 100k miles (10 year /150k miles in California). Tesla estimates 70% in 7 years /100k miles. Of course those represent average case (Volt gives a vague capacity warranty that doesn't not set a hard threshold for replacement, it's up to the technician to determine; Tesla doesn't cover capacity at all).
Of course. The call for a capacity warranty was driven by two factors. The battery lease schemes, which are prevalent in Europe, set very clear limits for remaining usable capacity, which in turn guarantees certain range. The Volt sets another precedent, which I believe is driven by emission standards regulation, with minimum requirements for drivetrain warranty, and I'm familiar with the limits there too. I only mentioned this because you raised the problem of this new warranty threshold being too low. As already said, the implementation details are still being discussed, but Nissan has made it clear earlier, that five years warranty coverage is a target they were committed to in other markets, and the eight-year limited warranty is something they did specifically for the US, presumably to match GM on Volt coverage.

The total mileage assumes an annual average of 12.5K, which is a pretty common industry number here in North America. As far as I recall, Tesla copied portions of the original Nissan warranty nearly verbatim, and is using this wording for Model S. The estimate of 70% in 7 years is just that, an estimate, and likely a median value similar to the 80% in 5 years and 70% in 10 years Nissan quoted in its early LEAF marketing materials. This is not directly comparable to a capacity warranty, which will orient itself on the lowest guaranteed number, and not a median value. Besides, the estimates are best guesses based on models and testing. They are not binding in any way, and individual consumers might have to go to great lengths to find that out.

The Leaf warranty is to cover worse case, so 65-70% in 5 years/60k miles makes sense (again, I mentioned Tesla can safely offer a similar "worse-case" 3-5 years 40/60/80k mile warranty depending on battery capacity and still have no warranty claims). The only thing I'm concerned about is if that kind of warranty will cause consumers to be more concerned or less. In practical terms, any capacity warranty is really not going to be any better than a defect warranty (the terms will be written to make it that way). The Leaf's is an exception because they have a non-defect condition (hot weather) that makes their battery degrade much worse and so this warranty actually helps in PR more than it will hurt.
Right, you are correct in pointing out that any free warranty will be set up in a way, which will result in the lowest number of claims. Given the 70% threshold on the new capacity warranty Nissan just announced, there will likely be few consumers who would need it, even in Phoenix. That all makes sense so far. What I fail to see is the connection between more comprehensive warranty and more coverage as being somehow bad or detrimental. Most prospective buyers don't parse the numbers in such detail. All they hear today is "8 year warranty", and automatically assume that this covers capacity in the event that they lost significant amount of range, and cannot make their daily commute anymore.

Last edited:
But to be in a warranty they will need to spell out EXACTLY what it takes to be in compliance. If they're going to deny anyone for capacity they will have to be able to point to what the person did "wrong" to cause them not to replace the pack.
teslamnl.gif

Well, I thought I addressed this question already above. The battery ECU contains a wealth of data, more than enough to determine eligibility for warranty coverage. The only problem is how to provide timely feedback to the owner. Nissan does that via a mandatory annual battery check, which is required to keep the battery warranty coverage. This report provides individualized feedback to every owner. The idea is that if you score highly in all categories, you are already doing everything needed to keep the battery happy and healthy. Nissan won't point a finger at you, and complain, because you left the car fully charged when you left on a week-long business trip. What they do instead, is aggregate these numbers and bucketize the environmental conditions and stresses the battery is exposed to, and give you an annual rating with suggestions how to adjust your behavior. If your average SOC was too high over the course of the year, they might ding you for that on the report, and make suggestions how to change that behavior. The capacity warranty could be tied to a certain rating on the annual report, or compliance with average battery care expectations. They are not very high or complicated, as Nikki has outlined in her article.

You didn't address my point that ICE's aren't warrantied to maintain performance (speed or efficiency) over time so how is this different? The only difference is that there is 100+ years of "common knowledge" related to ICE's but not EV's.
Oh, I'm sorry, I must have overlooked that. We had this discussion in another context last year. The point raised was that automakers don't guarantee certain performance metrics, such as compression or the mpg rating, and the buying public should have the right expectations as to what might be warrantied because of that. The counter-argument was that the buying public also expects the vehicle to have the same range and the ability to go where it has gone before nearly in perpetuity. Yes, if you suffer a mechanical breakdown, and the car won't move or is not safe to drive, that would constitute a drive-train failure covered by warranty. This might happen in the event of a cell failure, and power output is already covered today. That's separate from the range issue however.

So just like in the early days of ICE's people had to haul their own gas and sometimes get towed into a gas stations by a horse it was those pioneers that eventually made the ICE ubiquitous. EV's must follow the same adoption curve. People don't like change and short of a shooting war breaking out in the Middle East and gas shooting to $7+/gallon it's just going to take time.
Anyone who knows anything about EVs, is familiar with the important role Tesla and the early EV adopters and advocates have played. That does not mean that you cannot try to deploy this technology on a larger scale now. From my experience in the LEAF community, I can attest that a number of folks would not be driving an EV today, if Nissan didn't make the LEAF. Yes, the LEAF is highly range-constrained, and one of the primary use cases is commutes to and from work. It's definitely not as capable as the Roadster or the Model S, but is it bad to have these cars out there? They will soon have sold 50,000 of them worldwide. Many LEAF owners have purchased a Volt or another LEAF as their second car, and replaced an older vehicle with combustion engine. Quite a few have ordered a Model S.

That said, a LEAF owner will not have to fear that the car won't be able to meet a conservatively set commute, 50 miles on one charge for example, after a two or three years of ownership in the future. And that is very a good thing. I believe the buying public is ready for EVs, let's hope that EVs are ready for them.

Last edited:
What I fail to see is the connection between more comprehensive warranty and more coverage as being somehow bad or detrimental. Most prospective buyers don't parse the numbers in such detail. All they hear today is "8 year warranty", and automatically assume that this covers capacity in the event that they lost significant amount of range, and cannot make their daily commute anymore.
Yes, they hear "8 year warranty" as in the 8 year battery defect warranty all EVs have and assume it covers capacity (when it clearly doesn't if you look into the details).

But now Nissan is offering a separate shorter 5 year/60k mile capacity warranty (to 66.24% capacity). My question is if people will assume that's the average case degradation of battery capacity (certainly the anti-EV people will try to make that point). If they came out with a capacity warranty that was the same length as the defect warranty (8 years/100k miles) I would have no question it won't be bad/detrimental in a PR sense, but of course they can't practically do that.

As I mentioned, Nissan's case is special in that they had lots of bad press from the hot weather degradation issue, so any sort of capacity guarantee is likely better than nothing. But for other companies who have not had any sort of battery degradation issue (Tesla is an example, the Roadster has been out longer than the Leaf and there haven't been any sort of degradation issue), I question if announcing a separate shorter capacity warranty will do any good. It may be better to let people assume that the typical 8 year/100k mile warranty already covers it.