Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No bulb replacement on burnt/worn out headlight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

my 2016 Model X driver side headlamp low beam is gone. So i search online to see what are my options.. and to my surprise there is no one talking about how to replace it! (Google only find modification to the color, or it is for model s)
I then remember I had the free subscription to Tesla service and found the instruction is to have to replace the whole assembly and front bumper needs to be out for the replacement. But just before I start planning my next move is there any input here please?

Thank you

If Tesla Service indicates full replacement, I guess there's no other way. I know it's true for model 3 and Y as well... Long gone are the days of replacing a single bulb, with the LED headlights...
Hi GtiMart,

after reading the service manual i found that that's the case too. i am very surprise there isn't a DIY video online at all. i am not that handy otherwise i would jump into making a video for it! reading the manual taking out the front bumper is more of a time consuming thing than actually being hard. I already submitted a service request to see how much it will be. My other alternative is to get a used lamp online and see if body shop can help me to take out the bumper.

Woody

Hi GtiMart,

after reading the service manual i found that that's the case too. i am very surprise there isn't a DIY video online at all. i am not that handy otherwise i would jump into making a video for it! reading the manual taking out the front bumper is more of a time consuming thing than actually being hard. I already submitted a service request to see how much it will be. My other alternative is to get a used lamp online and see if body shop can help me to take out the bumper.

Woody

Keep us posted on how much the light will cost. I remember when I had the 3, they have to replace the whole assembly also, and the tech was skillful enough to remove half of the bumper. Also keep in mind software update is required after changing the assembly, which you should be able to ask SC to push you the software if you go w/ a 2nd hand assembly.

Reactions: woodychau
Keep us posted on how much the light will cost. I remember when I had the 3, they have to replace the whole assembly also, and the tech was skillful enough to remove half of the bumper. Also keep in mind software update is required after changing the assembly, which you should be able to ask SC to push you the software if you go w/ a 2nd hand assembly.
Hi Spurs 10,

Just got an estimate and thats only for one side. I will go with the second hand one since it is MUCH cheaper. Is there a reason that need a software update after? Will tesla refuse to do so? My car would still work after the new (second hand) light i assume? Thank you!
Screenshot_20220621-145040_Tesla.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Shaz and spurs10
Hi Spurs 10,

Just got an estimate and thats only for one side. I will go with the second hand one since it is MUCH cheaper. Is there a reason that need a software update after? Will tesla refuse to do so? My car would still work after the new (second hand) light i assume? Thank you! View attachment 819350
That’s $$$
Not sure the logic behind reinstalling the software, I had my seat changed one time and I went with 2nd hand market, then the software update required showing on the screen. I didn’t ask Tesla to reinstall the software, I waited the next software update and the message is gone after the update

Btw how’s the reliability of your X?

That’s $$$
Not sure the logic behind reinstalling the software, I had my seat changed one time and I went with 2nd hand market, then the software update required showing on the screen. I didn’t ask Tesla to reinstall the software, I waited the next software update and the message is gone after the update

Btw how’s the reliability of your X?
Hi Spurs,

i purchased the car from Tesla CPO and had 1 year or 10K mile warranty. During the warranty period, i meet a very good service adviser (in Vancouver) and he is basically willing to help me with any issue i had (even if it is minor).

Being picky person i had the front shaft replaced twice (i am just being picky, otherwise it just had the acceleration Shudder at NORMAL height), first time was done and didn't fix the issue, so they fixed it again. I had the FWD sensor replaced once (due to occasional not closing inside my garage, it closes fine everywhere else). The adviser also helped me to replace the front 2 driver/ passenger side door motor from only a couple time stamps (my passenger doors had around 5 occasion (in a year, in RAINCOUVER) of not opening being press outside when it is raining). I had to pay for the 12V battery and HEPA filter since it was original, and was not cover under warranty.

Only issue that i haven't been able to solve is the glove box will stop opening when SOFTWARE update roll out. It will work again after i get the software update... seems like not many people are having the same issue.

My battery, retained around 97% of what is claimed and since it is AP1, it has SUMMON (go front or back) feature as well as HWY Auto pilot (i can put the turn signal and it will move to another lane) which i just found out that, the latest model S require a full FSD to have those feature added.

I am over all happy with the car, being a "high tech" car there are sometime hiccups, but nothing a search can't fix.

Now that i have the headlamp issue, i will try to change it myself, i did search online to found front bumper removal. It doesn't seems that difficult i will let you know once i got it done.

Tesla Service manuals are free and will show you most steps but sometimes they're overkill and you can do less work to get the job done.
Do be careful taking off bumper around headlights, those plastic brackets are flimsy...
Im also curious about why programming needed for just a headlight, so let us know how it goes for you.

Im also curious about why programming needed for just a headlight, so let us know how it goes for you.

Almost everything in a Tesla has an ECU/computer in it, and it has be to running the same firmware version as the rest of the car. So anytime you replace something electronic you have to re-push the current firmware. Instructions for doing that are in the service documents, though you will have to be physically at a Tesla service center, or authorized body shop, to do it. (If you pay for Toolbox access and have the necessary cable I think you could do it anywhere.)

Last edited:
Tesla Service manuals are free and will show you most steps but sometimes they're overkill and you can do less work to get the job done.
Do be careful taking off bumper around headlights, those plastic brackets are flimsy...
yes i will keep you posted, i guess this post will be beneficial in the future when headlamp starts to fail.

First step is to find a headlight. there are some on ebay but many has issue here and there.

Hi Spurs,

i purchased the car from Tesla CPO and had 1 year or 10K mile warranty. During the warranty period, i meet a very good service adviser (in Vancouver) and he is basically willing to help me with any issue i had (even if it is minor).

Being picky person i had the front shaft replaced twice (i am just being picky, otherwise it just had the acceleration Shudder at NORMAL height), first time was done and didn't fix the issue, so they fixed it again. I had the FWD sensor replaced once (due to occasional not closing inside my garage, it closes fine everywhere else). The adviser also helped me to replace the front 2 driver/ passenger side door motor from only a couple time stamps (my passenger doors had around 5 occasion (in a year, in RAINCOUVER) of not opening being press outside when it is raining). I had to pay for the 12V battery and HEPA filter since it was original, and was not cover under warranty.

Only issue that i haven't been able to solve is the glove box will stop opening when SOFTWARE update roll out. It will work again after i get the software update... seems like not many people are having the same issue.

My battery, retained around 97% of what is claimed and since it is AP1, it has SUMMON (go front or back) feature as well as HWY Auto pilot (i can put the turn signal and it will move to another lane) which i just found out that, the latest model S require a full FSD to have those feature added.

I am over all happy with the car, being a "high tech" car there are sometime hiccups, but nothing a search can't fix.

Now that i have the headlamp issue, i will try to change it myself, i did search online to found front bumper removal. It doesn't seems that difficult i will let you know once i got it done.

Which service center you visit? 4th or Powell? I am from Raincouver as well :) Did you upgrade the MCU?