Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CarPlay is a deal breaker. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well - after learning that the left click-wheel button controls media when the phone is connected via BT I now feel better about "becoming one" with my phone in the Tesla environment:
  • I launch Spotify from my phone when initiating the drive and I can pause, skip as needed.
  • Even better, I get my better-liked Google Assistant hands free texting solution. All of the voice responses from Google Assistant come through on the car's speakers. My phone microphone pics up my voice just fine when it's on the wireless charging pad. (Who knows - maybe there's a car microphone that is part of the BT connection.)
Tesla has now lost a Premium Connectivity customer. I was willing to pay for it to get the Spotify control. But launching whatever I want to listen to when initiating the drive is sufficient for me.

Yes - media control via the click-wheel is documented in the manual as an earlier responder pointed out. I very much believe that a UI that requires a manual is a poorly designed UI. In my previous (domestic) ICE I 1/ connected my phone to the car; 2/ manipulated my phone and its apps via Android Auto on the integrated screen; and 3/ did hands free texting; all without opening any manual. I never dreamed a car that literally cost twice as much and was known for having such an advanced driver experience overall would be "so far behind" what I got 2 years ago in the cockpit/phone integration department.

My wife and I read Ashlee Vance's book on Elon. We loved loved LOVED it. It's what caused us to buy a Tesla. In the book one of Elon's employees is quoted (don't recall if it was SpaceX or Tesla) and said something that hit home with me. He said "I absolutely hate working for Elon. And I wouldn't work anywhere else." I think there's no doubt that Elon's vision is so strong in his head he doesn't let that get compromised by "feedback" from employees. This thread has made it clear Elon likely feels the same way about customers: His most important thing is making progress on his long term vision. If customers want to come along and participate - fine. But if customers ask for things that don't align with that vision - forget it.

I feel like I'm like that quoted employee - but on the customer side: Parts of the Tesla experience are totally maddening. But I wouldn't drive anything else. 😁

Last edited:
You can just set your phone to Waze and connect it via BT to your car...that way when there is a notification like obstacle or police you HEAR it rather than see it. Much better and safer.
I already do that. I’d still prefer to see the Waze map rather than the Tesla map.

First off, the Waze map is just more clear about what lane to be in for a turn.

Second, by a quick glance at the map you can see upcoming issues (police, accidents, etc) long before they get announced.

Reactions: roc-noc
I already do that. I’d still prefer to see the Waze map rather than the Tesla map.

First off, the Waze map is just more clear about what lane to be in for a turn.

Second, by a quick glance at the map you can see upcoming issues (police, accidents, etc) long before they get announced.
I agree with you, would much rather see Waze too, as your second point is what I miss about not seeing Waze at quick glance. If you drive a lot, Waze is invaluable and hard to live without.

Reactions: roc-noc