Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No dash screen -- only 15" touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on this I think Elon has confirmed the dash and steering wheel are going to change.
Another Elon Tweet

"The lack of a dashboard/HUD is something that I don't think I could get used to. That's the only thing I don't like about the car."
Elon reply "It will make sense after part 2 of the Model 3 unveil"

"1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!"
Elon reply "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

"why did you choose that hideous steering wheel design?:|"
Elon reply "that's not the real steering system"

My 2 cents.

1. if there was indeed no driver's cluster, I'm certain there would at LEAST be a hud overlay.
>extra credit: imagine the autopilot display as an overlay...with augmented boxes around cars etc like an AC30 gunship (plus the augmented part). That would be pretty...what's the word....badass.

2. The positioning of the 15" screen, especially it's upper left corner seems to be almost directly in your line of vision. Doesn't seem as out of the way as the Mini gauges...

3. As far as the busy UI design, they said that will be changed some before production.

4. the floating screen design allows for less volume of the dash, giving more legroom etc.

Regarding center-mounted touchscreens... I followed the Volt from concept to my driveway, and Chevrolet tweaked the design of the touchscreen because the concept looked like it was removable (but wasn't), and to strengthen it. Here's a picture of the concept:
2013-Chevrolet-Volt-Coupe-Hatchback-Base-4dr-Hatchback-Interior.png

and here's a picture of what they actually shipped:
chevyvolt_12.jpg

Also note the shifter width changed (the concept "pinched" when going from D to P).

The screen in the Model 3 looks even more fragile than the Volt concept, so it will be interesting to see what they actually ship.

FWIW, I love what I'm seeing in the Model 3 and I hope they do very well with it.

I hope they will use an OLED panel. When looking at videos of the test drives during the unveil, the strong backlight glow from the LCD screen was extremely distracting.

Agreed. OLED is the only reasonable choice. OLED panels are getting cheap; Samsung is pumping out 14" OLED panels this year, going into 4 laptops. And the price premium is only $200 (from what Lenovo is setting; no idea what HP or Alienware will charge).