Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No heated steering wheel? (Leaf and Bolt have it)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that you understand. You can't work the touchscreen with gloves on (unless they have special pads on them). Nothing to do with how cold the screen feels. Putting gloves on and off while driving and trying to use the touchscreen controls is something of a safety issue (but I did it before I got the touchscreen gloves).

Gloves that work with touchscreens are pretty readily available now, compared to say 5-10 years ago.

I post that heated steering wheels are more important for ICE cars because their heaters are slower than EVs. ICE engines heat very slowly at idle. It's not like this a personal opinion, it's a fact. And steering heaters far pre-date EVs.

You "post" disagree to that.

Disagree has a single meaning. Opposite of agree. You're wrong. The fact is that ICE engines heat up the cabin under load far quicker than idle, and sometimes struggle to heat a cabin at idle, especially diesels which burn very little fuel at idle.

I can't put words in your mouth.

They won't fit.

Your foot is blocking them. ;)

You posted "Heated steering wheels are most important to ICE cars" and I disagreed with that. The rest is just you talking to yourself in public.

I don't agree with your overall assessment not because of the speed of heating but because of range and the source of power for the heat.

So when you rabble on about gas/diesel and how long it takes to heat you are missing the point and somehow want to blame me for your cluelessness.

And yes the way your write what you think I think is putting words in my mouth as you are off on some tangent I'm not even writing about. So choose either:

* You are arguing with yourself about what you think I think

or

*You are putting words in my mount that you think I said

either way I didn't think it, write it, or say it, just because I put a disagree doesn't mean you know what I think is correct, it just means I disagreed with your post.

You might want to look at Mu (negative) - Wikipedia

It is used fancifully in discussions of symbolic logic, particularly Gödel's incompleteness theorems, to indicate a question whose "answer" is to
  • un-ask the question,
  • indicate the question is fundamentally flawed, or
  • reject the premise that a dualistic answer can or will be given

Last edited:
Reactions: TimM.
Isn't it more efficient to use heated seats vs. running the vents? I would think the same logic would apply to a heated steering wheel. If you are wearing a jacket and just need a little bit of extra heat then it's more efficient to just run the heated steering wheel and nothing else.

Who knows, maybe it's all irrelevant since we won't need to touch the steering wheel when the car drives itself :).

You posted "Heated steering wheels are most important to ICE cars" and I disagreed with that. The rest is just you talking to yourself in public.

I don't agree with your overall assessment not because of the speed of heating but because of range and the source of power for the heat.

So when you rabble on about gas/diesel and how long it takes to heat you are missing the point and somehow want to blame me for your cluelessness.

And yes the way your write what you think I think is putting words in my mouth as you are off on some tangent I'm not even writing about. So choose either:

* You are arguing with yourself about what you think I think

or

*You are putting words in my mount that you think I said

either way I didn't think it, write it, or say it, just because I put a disagree doesn't mean you know what I think is correct, it just means I disagreed with your post.

You might want to look at Mu (negative) - Wikipedia

It is used fancifully in discussions of symbolic logic, particularly Gödel's incompleteness theorems, to indicate a question whose "answer" is to
  • un-ask the question,
  • indicate the question is fundamentally flawed, or
  • reject the premise that a dualistic answer can or will be given

Well you can disagree with car tires being round I guess. Still makes you wrong. Your opinion on how a gasoline or diesel or electric drivetrain operates does not alter how they operate.

• Disagree
Well you can disagree with car tires being round I guess. Still makes you wrong. Your opinion on how a gasoline or diesel or electric drivetrain operates does not alter how they operate.
and I'm saying how they operate has nothing to do with an EV.

I"m not agreeing or disagreeing about anything about tires, gas engines, or diesel engines and I'm saying they don't apply to this discussion about EVs.

That doesn't make me wrong except in your own imagination.

So stop saying I'm disagreeing about the function of non EVs, I'm not discussing the function of non EVs. Anything you say I'm saying about them is you making stuff up.

It's the logical equivalent of you asking me when I'm going to stop beating my wife. See Loaded question - Wikipedia

and I'm saying how they operate has nothing to do with an EV.

I"m not agreeing or disagreeing about anything about tires, gas engines, or diesel engines and I'm saying they don't apply to this discussion about EVs.

I push a button on my phone, and in <5 minutes my EV is warm. I push the same button on midpriced gasoline car, and takes far longer to heat up.

Oddly enough, the steering wheel also climbs in temperature since I keep it inside the car usually.

Who cares how much electricity the heater uses when you have 220 miles worth? Or are we pretending this discussion is only about 80 mile EVs?

Who cares how much electricity the heater uses when you have 220 miles worth? Or are we pretending this discussion is only about 80 mile EVs?

Oh are we pretending this discussion is only about Norco, California? Silly me for living in another state where the supercharger infrastructure is sparse and there isn't even a reliable Chademo network.

Oh are we pretending this discussion is only about Norco, California? Silly me for living in another state where the supercharger infrastructure is sparse and there isn't even a reliable Chademo network.

Minimizing battery use is critical when you need every mile in an EV. But as the next gen of EVs arrive, it's not going to be the same situation. A heated steering wheel is far more useful in a Gen 100 EV than a Gen 200 or 300 EV.

The cellphone trick will be something you'll probably do in a Model 3 or Bolt. Turn on the heat while you're getting ready, and the car is warm inside, even if it's in a cold closed garage (no exhaust).

People who are worried about an ice cold steering wheel when they get in their car will find the EV wins even without a heated wheel.

Hm, can't see that taking a glove off at 65 mph in order to adjust the temperature is really safe.

And how warm will the car be by the time you have reached 65 mph? Unless you magically get in a cold car on a clean stretch of road.

It
Won't
Matter

Also, driving gloves, cost like $20 and you can flick em off. Or IDK, use your autopilot as Elon intended you to.

• Disagree
I don't think that you understand. You can't work the touchscreen with gloves on (unless they have special pads on them). Nothing to do with how cold the screen feels. Putting gloves on and off while driving and trying to use the touchscreen controls is something of a safety issue (but I did it before I got the touchscreen gloves).

And there lies the initial issue, if you are preheating the damn car, you won't have to worry about it. Also, I've literally had 0 issue taking off one of my driving gloves while keeping at least one hand on the damn wheel the entire time. $20, Amazon, win. You act like taking off a glove it the hardest thing to do, especially in a car that will have autopilot.

...You act like taking off a glove it the hardest thing to do, especially in a car that will have autopilot.
I'm not saying any such thing, I've certainly done it a lot. However removing gloves to use a touchscreen is a nuisance and a distraction. I just mentioned it above as something that prospective Model 3 owners might not have considered before they dismiss a heated steering wheel as frivolous and unnecessary, even in cold climates. You clearly disagree, but you don't have to be so obnoxious about it.

As it happens, I don't have autopilot, it wouldn't work where I live in the mountains anyway, and autopilot likely isn't safe to use in snow when road lines are obscured.

OMG! Just noticed @McRat is from Norco CA... so sorry. Kudo's to you for bringing modern technology to horse country. Before the Tesla, he needed gloves to keep from burning his hands on the steering wheel.

I'm not saying any such thing, I've certainly done it a lot. However removing gloves to use a touchscreen is a nuisance and a distraction. I just mentioned it above as something that prospective Model 3 owners might not have considered before they dismiss a heated steering wheel as frivolous and unnecessary, even in cold climates. You clearly disagree, but you don't have to be so obnoxious about it.

As it happens, I don't have autopilot, it wouldn't work where I live in the mountains anyway, and autopilot likely isn't safe to use in snow when road lines are obscured.

I actually didn't think about the 15" touch screen. That was a really great point.

I'm surprise some members here are adamant that everyone else should accept a non-heated steering wheel. It's almost as if they were part of the Model 3 design team and are covering up the deficiency.

Weighing in here as another Colorado person who thinks the 3 really should have a heated steering wheel. Even with cabin pre-heat, it still doesn't get all the surfaces warm in really cold weather. You will get into a car with warm air, but cold wheel, etc. That's why on most cars with heated wheels/seats, the wheel and seats turn on in conjunction with the pre-heat. This is how my Ford works, this is how my Leaf works, this is how the Honda I had until last year worked.

I think it's perfectly fair to point out that the lack of a heated steering wheel is a disappointment at this price point and expectation level. I honestly can't state whether or not it's going to cause me personally to delay my purchase when my config invite gets sent. That's going to be a game-time decision since I will have to also factor in my desire for AWD and white seats. Depending on how the options are available and what the tax incentive situation looks like at the time, I'll decide then to buy or defer.

So, I feel the same way about a radio/audio system as many of you seem to feel about the heated wheel. I almost never listen to any radio/audio in the car. It wouldn't bother me a bit if the car didn't come with a radio or any audio system. Would you still buy the car if it didn't come with a radio? Do you think that might be a decision factor for other car buyers?

I think it's perfectly fair to point out that the lack of a heated steering wheel is a disappointment at this price point and expectation level. ...

You're right. You can get more bells and whistles in an ICE car today because they spend far less on the driveline.

This might not be a big surprise but at $36k, there is no EV that will match it.

People sometimes do not understand that cars cost money to produce.

I'd suggest you buy a Volt. It has a heated steering wheel and no range anxiety. It does lack a massive 200+ pure EV range and 250+ HP electric drive, but it's up to you to decide which features are mission critical to you.

I prefer the money be spent towards the driveline.

But have you ever learned to preheat your EV with your phone? (ICE cars do not count, since there is no rapid heater installed in most). Until you experience that system, you cannot really have an opinion on whether from a comfort standpoint that a non-heated wheel in a Model 3 is actually cold or not.

I absolutely do use my phone to remotely pre-heat. I fully agree that my EV produces warmer air than my ICE vehicle almost immediately. However, it still doesn't take the chill off of the surfaces in the vehicle. Cold seats will still be cold. Cold door handles will still be cold. So, I am fully qualified to have an opinion on the steering wheel being cold based on my extensive experience with both EV and ICE vehicles in a cold environment. It will be cold.

If I wanted a Chevy POS, I'd have bought one. I don't. I know very well what's available on each and every EV offering right now (even cars that pretend to be EVs). Gas is not an option. And to preclude the next argument, if I wanted an S, I would have bought one of those. I want the Model 3. It's the right car for me.

I'm not normally one to participate in an "Internet argument" because we all know how impactful they are in the real world. However, I think that it's important that the discussion of a potential future feature be represented by as many perspectives as possible. Especially given the fact that Tesla does seem to take some interest in what goes on here. I would personally appreciate them applying some of their resources towards adding on a heated steering wheel at the point in the future allowed by their feature roadmap.

As it has been stated by others, I'm not sure I understand the need to "shout down" the desire for a feature that is found in other, comparable vehicles. If you don't want/need it, say so and get on with your life. You're not going to convince any of us it's unnecessary any more than we're going to convince you that it is.

However, as is the nature of "internet arguments" this entire post is really a waste of time.

I absolutely do use my phone to remotely pre-heat. I fully agree that my EV produces warmer air than my ICE vehicle almost immediately. However, it still doesn't take the chill off of the surfaces in the vehicle. Cold seats will still be cold. Cold door handles will still be cold. So, I am fully qualified to have an opinion on the steering wheel being cold based on my extensive experience with both EV and ICE vehicles in a cold environment. It will be cold.

If I wanted a Chevy POS, I'd have bought one. I don't. I know very well what's available on each and every EV offering right now (even cars that pretend to be EVs). Gas is not an option. And to preclude the next argument, if I wanted an S, I would have bought one of those. I want the Model 3. It's the right car for me.

I'm not normally one to participate in an "Internet argument" because we all know how impactful they are in the real world. However, I think that it's important that the discussion of a potential future feature be represented by as many perspectives as possible. Especially given the fact that Tesla does seem to take some interest in what goes on here. I would personally appreciate them applying some of their resources towards adding on a heated steering wheel at the point in the future allowed by their feature roadmap.

As it has been stated by others, I'm not sure I understand the need to "shout down" the desire for a feature that is found in other, comparable vehicles. If you don't want/need it, say so and get on with your life. You're not going to convince any of us it's unnecessary any more than we're going to convince you that it is.

However, as is the nature of "internet arguments" this entire post is really a waste of time.

I'm quite sure they will add a heated steering wheel at some point. Who knows when. I just remember when the S came out people pointing out features common in cars of that price range that were missing in the S, like parking sensors, folding mirrors, adaptive cruise control. All came eventually, but my Model S doesn't have any of those things (or a heated steering wheel).

Reactions: dgpcolorado