Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No, *I’m* being too picky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was contemplating the app yesterday and noticed an inconsistency.

7EEEEF0F-3533-4A5C-8BE5-B5B4C4B7FB86.jpeg

The climate button and the lock button show current state. The frunk latch does not. My OCD objects.

The frunk latch does not. My OCD objects.

Drives me crazy too.

‘Modern’ software UI sucks in general. I think the Tesla app and car UI is very well done compared to most apps, but I agree - buttons should show you what they are going to do or just use words. At least it prompts you when you click it with an informative message.

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
Drives me crazy too.

nice to know it’s not just me

Let us know when you develop an icon that both accurately represents the intent of the button and the mechanism’s current state. ;)

you can! The button can change. Indeed, these do. You could do it either way, to show “current state” or “result of action”. Just seems to me you would pick one & stick with.

you can! The button can change. Indeed, these do. You could do it either way, to show “current state” or “result of action”. Just seems to me you would pick one & stick with.

Mine was a comment highlighting the fact that a button showing a closed trunk/frunk does not convey its function [to open the trunk], and that’s not even considering the vehicle image just above the button accurately represents the state of the trunk/frunk anyway.

The fan and lock buttons can both represent state, as and function as their on/off icons are pretty universally understood.

I understand your observation, but the as-delivered solution is purposely engineered to maximize the statistical human experience, not satisfy the singular human OCD. :p

Mine was a comment highlighting the fact that a button showing a closed trunk/frunk does not convey its function [to open the trunk], and that’s not even considering the vehicle image just above the button accurately represents the state of the trunk/frunk anyway.

The fan and lock buttons can both represent state, as and function as their on/off icons are pretty universally understood.

I understand your observation, but the as-delivered solution is purposely engineered to maximize the statistical human experience, not satisfy the singular human OCD. :p

Just put a line through it just like the fan icon to show that 'it's not open' vs 'opened'

Reactions: house9
Just put a line through it just like the fan icon to show that 'it's not open' vs 'opened'

Lol, I don’t make the rules. As any UX designer will tell you, the slash works well for yes/no and on/off, but isn’t as concise for open/closed.

I get that it might seem obvious, but proper UX design has to account for the Gaussian curve of users, not the 90% of users that think they’re above the 50th percentile.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock