Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"No Man's Land" in the center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Has anyone else "lost" anything in their center console? I have the Tesla "premium center console" offered until the Model S began to have the redesign version as standard equipment.
After thinking I had lost something in the car and then finding it in the console, at least I now know where to look. There is a space that is forward of the storage compartment covered by the rotating cover, and aft of the compartment where the cup holders are. Because of the arrangement of the sloping cellphone holder and the way the cover moves, it can be difficult to see and remove objects that fall into this space. It also seems that things can end up in this no-man's land if you aren't careful as you close or open the cover.
Most likely i am not describing it well, so I may try to take a photo to show the space.

Meanwhile I am curious if this devilish trap has been avoided in the designed console in the facelifted cars. I'll have to go look at one, I suppose....

Has anyone else "lost" anything in their center console? I have the Tesla "premium center console" offered until the Model S began to have the redesign version as standard equipment.
After thinking I had lost something in the car and then finding it in the console, at least I now know where to look. There is a space that is under the storage compartment covered by the rotating cover, and aft of the compartment where the cup holders are. Because of the arrangement of the sloping cellphone holder and the way the cover moves, it can be difficult to see and remove objects that fall into this space. It also seems that things can end up in this no-man's land if you aren't careful as you close or open the cover.
Most likely i am not describing it well, so I may try to take a photo to show the space. [I tried later but was unable to ghet a useful photo.]

Meanwhile I am curious if this devilish trap has been avoided in the designed console in the facelifted cars. I'll have to go look at one, I suppose....

My initial post was not very accurate, I am afraid. And I cannot figure out how to edit to initial post. So I have edited the quotation above.
The space in question is mostly under the covered storage compartment. So when something gets in there, you cannot see it. It can get there in at least two ways. It can slide back there from the space where the cupholders are. And it apparently can be flipped into that space from the covered storage compartment.

So if you are missing some small object that you think was in the console, look under there -- and good luck seeing it and retrieving it!

(And just for the record, I still am glad to have the console.)

Sorry for your challenges... This has been discussed in older threads. Net is the only thing you can really do to prevent the problems you describe is place your small items in trays of some sort in the larger section, or... Before taking delivery and reading some of the stories here, what I did when I brought my MS home was get some pipe insulation (you know, the $2 3' long, grey kind at your home improvement center with a slot on one side), cut a curved piece out and placed one on the floor deck under where the the door flips inside the console -- preventing anything from getting under the back area; and another piece on top of the console tucked just out of view under the cubby so things that may be set on top of the console don't slip back there either. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: David29
Man, i love having the center console, but must say it is the crappiest thing in the car in fit, finish, quality, design, etc.
Agreed. After having mine recently replaced to try and resolve a problem with the flip lid (which failed again a couple days later), I recently took it out and replaced with the Evannex CCI. I know it was a waste of money to sooth some of my frustration, but the CCI is a great compliment to my interior (matches my grey nextgen and carbon fiber), build quality is top notch, and it's a cinch to remove with no screws or sticky tape involved if I ever wanted to for some reason -- revealing my original carbon fiber yacht floor. I additionally now have a matching carbon fiber cover over my cubby to ease my organizational ways. The only drawback I have with the CCI compared to my old optional Tesla Premium Center Console, is the CCI has less than half of the interior storage space. Beyond that, it's what I should have started with, without question.