Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more Alcantara upper dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 75D with PUP came with it and I think initially neither of us really cared much if it was included. Didn't expect to like it but now that we have it, we do. It does cut down on the reflection in the windshield and it feels cooler to the touch when in the sun. Not crazy about the patchwork like others have said but it also matches our black alcantara headliner so liking that. I was surprised I guess to hear that it is gone as a choice as it does give the dash a more luxury feel. Definitely would have ordered it again.

BTW we also were hesitant to order a black interior but did this time. Never had a dark interior before. We are very happy with it and like the "darkness" especially in our bright summer sunlight. Easier on the eyes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dknisely
As I just posted in a new thread, I think the disappearance of alcantara on the dash, along with the air suspension (except on 100D) and vented seats are hints we are about to get a new S interior. The S needs to go upmarket not down - Tesla knows this. My guess is redesigned interior is around the corner.

Reactions: henderrj
As I just posted in a new thread, I think the disappearance of alcantara on the dash, along with the air suspension (except on 100D) and vented seats are hints we are about to get a new S interior. The S needs to go upmarket not down - Tesla knows this. My guess is redesigned interior is around the corner.
Care to define "around the corner"? Eventually of course there will be a refresh, but if you're going to make predictions, next quarter, this year, this decade, etc?

Reactions: Rockwell
Care to define "around the corner"? Eventually of course there will be a refresh, but if you're going to make predictions, next quarter, this year, this decade, etc?

So, that would mean I have a rare car? lol

I have an AP2 P100D with alcantara, air suspension, and ventilated seats! ;)

Reactions: P100DHG.
Our 75D with PUP came with it and I think initially neither of us really cared much if it was included. Didn't expect to like it but now that we have it, we do. It does cut down on the reflection in the windshield and it feels cooler to the touch when in the sun. Not crazy about the patchwork like others have said but it also matches our black alcantara headliner so liking that. I was surprised I guess to hear that it is gone as a choice as it does give the dash a more luxury feel. Definitely would have ordered it again.

BTW we also were hesitant to order a black interior but did this time. Never had a dark interior before. We are very happy with it and like the "darkness" especially in our bright summer sunlight. Easier on the eyes.

Yeah, agree. Surprised how much I like the details, even though it was entirely unanticipated.

Yup. This smells of "we don't want to pay for another inventory run of the premium dash" when a new version is in the offing. This happened when AP1 was going to AP2. Near the end of the run, there were a bunch of AP1 single cameras built into AP2 dual camera mounting enclosures.

I have the Alcantara dash and really like it. It's not as reflective and "plasticky" as the standard dash.

Reactions: gowthamn
Not to burst you bubble, but there are more unicorns out there than "common" cars. With Tesla making changes so often, most configurations end up unique.

Yup. There are lots of these oddball cars. I have one of a small handful of P85Ds that came with rear next gen Recaro seats (produced for about a month) and stiffer P85+ suspension that they produced for a few months.

I've got a recent snowflake! Near stock 100D (only EAP and Paint options) without air suspension and with standard glass roof, 72A charger, and power liftgate. I think there was about a 1 week window to get this configuration.

Honestly, I'm seeing value being continually stripped away from the PUP, yet the price remaining the same. It's funny too, when I took delivery of my car they gave me the quick connection phone dock anyway, even though I didn't order the PUP. Regardless it's a $30 item. If you aren't getting the leather seats, the PUP basically only gives you the air filter and fog and cornering lights, and LED lights under the doors and door handles. That's it. I had the headliner on my first car and liked it, but it wasn't worth much to me.

I can't see them leaving the package as is. Some changes are around the corner for sure, but regardless I'm happy with my snowflake :)

I wouldn't discount the value of the PUP air filtration filters or fog/cornering lights either. We haven't detected any odors coming into the car since we got it and we have experienced everything from industrial/agricultural smells, even Eucalyptus scents in our other car. Not to mention the dead skunk on the road. Just read a post from someone commenting on how he saw the skunk in the road, decided to roll down his window to test the air in his car, and quickly rolled it up and put on the bio filter and said it removed the smell from the cabin very quickly. Driving through Morgan Hill and Gilroy to the supercharger we also experience mushroom and garlic odors neither of which are pleasant to us. If you have alergies/asthma the filters are really helpful. And honestly really important when traveling through areas with forest fires drifting in your path. Haven't been in a heavy fog in a while but we do get fog here, but the lights can be helpful getting you seen.

That said I would have expected the pricing of the PUP to have come down as things got removed. We lucked out ordering at end of year and consider we got a full value for ours.

Do people realize that Alcantara is polyester, not leather.

Doubt it is a cost cutting issue for Tesla. More likely a supplier issue.

The Alcantara dash is poorly integrated into the overall design. Looks good, but a little out of place.

Alcantara is a fancy name, intended to portray something much more expensive than it is.

• Informative
Reactions: David29