Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more FSD for any "CPO" Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is getting less money than they should for these cars because they aren't allowing people to inspect them before purchase. :p Rookie business mistake.

It's reasonable to start the listings at high prices and keep dropping them until they sell (it's called a Dutch Auction), but they're not doing the other things they need to do to get decent revenue out of them, like letting people inspect the cars. At this point, given Tesla's history of selling used cars with serious defects, I'd wait to buy from Tesla until I could get $10K discount versus a private party (with inspection) purchase. Others will eventually do the same.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Tesla is getting less money than they should for these cars because they aren't allowing people to inspect them before purchase. :p Rookie business mistake.

It's reasonable to start the listings at high prices and keep dropping them until they sell (it's called a Dutch Auction), but they're not doing the other things they need to do to get decent revenue out of them, like letting people inspect the cars. At this point, given Tesla's history of selling used cars with serious defects, I'd wait to buy from Tesla until I could get $10K discount versus a private party (with inspection) purchase. Others will eventually do the same.

Maybe / Hopefully there is a spreadsheet that measures "potential added sales price / added revenue from used cars if we let people test drive them" vs "cost of running a full service used car lot including dancing windsock guy"

My used car purchase experience was only moderately unpleasant but I suspect all in Tesla invested an hour or two of Tesla employee time total to the transaction.