Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more FSD for any "CPO" Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After stripping every used car of Free Supercharging, Tesla now seems to have stripped all used cars for sale on its website of FSD. It's not a freak coincidence right now that none of them have FSD - there are cars on there that I know used to have it that don't now.

Just like with FUSC, the lack of FSD doesn't seem to have affected prices whatsoever - a P100D with FSD that was for sale for $76,700 is now for sale, without the FSD, for $80,400.

I always thought it was a smart move by Tesla to buy back (or returned lease) a car without Auto pilot or ludicrous mode and then enable it and resell the car for a higher price then it would have gone without those options but now it sounds like they are reverting that strategy or maybe even doing the opposite.

Reactions: ahkahn
I haven't perused the listings deeply, but I wonder if that means that all cars are "gaining" the basic Autopilot functions that are now standard (lane keeping, autosteer/brake) even if their original configurations were full AP, EAP, or FSD.

In the 3 years I've owned my S, I barely used my full ap even on long road trips. Probably less than 5 times. I just use the regular autosteer/brake since you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

In the 3 years I've owned my S, I barely used my full ap even on long road trips. Probably less than 5 times. I just use the regular autosteer/brake since you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

This is why I was wondering. I have no interest in FSD or NoA. NONE. ZERO. ZIP.

However, I would not be opposed to basic AP on my next car as I could see myself using that in tedious bumper-to-bumper traffic. Fortunately I rarely am in traffic so I rarely find myself pondering life after my pre-AP car. But still... I'm glad that basic AP is standard on all new cars as that's all I ever wanted in the first place.

I wouldn't be surprised if right now someone is running an experiment to see how removing features of cars affects the prices; Tesla Inc is dynamically managing the prices and can observe the impact of these features on ultimate sale price. Towards the end of the quarter perhaps they will suddenly add FSD and supercharging for next owner back to these inventory cars.

Hey -- how much should the premium of FSD be? "I'm not sure, let's run a test and see what the premium is on the used cars!"

Also, I suspect the next evolution of the FSD feature set is that some subset of the used fleet will be resold from Tesla to an aggregator / taxi company (uber / lyft / tesloop / arizona taxicorp) to run "limited to particular geo-fenced places under particular weather conditions, potentially with paid operators" FSD pilot where Tesla manages some of the aspects of the autotaxi process and the aggregator manages the rest.

The notion that *I* would send *my* car into a taxi fleet and every once in a while have to deal with the aftermath of someone pooping in my car, bleeding out in my car, eating fish in my car, having a baby in my car, spilling coffee in my car, etc, is just absurd. Nobody (0.1% maybe) who owns a car wants to put up with that nonsense. What isn't absurd is that after FSD- is deployed, some company will offer me more money than the open market offers, to get my car and deploy it to a fleet service where they have a shop that specializes in cleaning the melted chocolate, boogers, spilled warm beer, poop, etc that get left in taxis.

Agree with above. Big pricing experiment.

I’d have to guess that for an AP2.0 car they wouldn’t get enough premium to cover whatever unknown costs are required for FSD.

Edit-

Wish they would put the features purchased in the center screen. Possibly with a QR code that links online to verify, so a buyer can see it wasn’t hacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: DurandalAI
EAP appears to be gone as well.

Yup, I'm seeing that (on a Model S I looked at yesterday).

Removing FSD removes the financial liability of upgrading AP2.X HW unless the new owner wants (and pays) for FSD.

Personally, I'd be happy w/EAP vs FSD. Removing EAP forces the new owner to upgrade to FSD if they want EAP functionality.

Mo' money, mo' money, mo'money for Tesla.

Yup, I'm seeing that (on a Model S I looked at yesterday).

Removing FSD removes the financial liability of upgrading AP2.X HW unless the new owner wants (and pays) for FSD.

Personally, I'd be happy w/EAP vs FSD. Removing EAP forces the new owner to upgrade to FSD if they want EAP functionality.

Mo' money, mo' money, mo'money for Tesla.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was wondering now if all cars (even used ones as long as they're sold by Tesla) with AP hardware had basic autosteer/brake AP. However, that doesn't seem to be the case:

2016 Model S | Tesla

This car has "AP Hardware" but I am guessing no actual AP functionality. It's also AP2 so I don't know what the owner would have to buy to get AP... what a mess!

What a great way to increase margins without reducing (much) value to customers, especially for the used market. It encourages people who want the latest to buy new, while providing a more affordable option for people buying used. Something for everyone.

It looks like all the used inventory just has Autopilot (and not Enhanced Autopilot or FSD) just like is standard on new cars.

It may be removal of the Enhanced Autopilot and Free Supercharging is to encourage people to buy new, rather than used. Maybe Tesla realised some people were specifically buying used over new for these features.