Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No More Passenger Lumbar on M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there is the news of Tesla removing the passenger lumbar adjustment. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions on this matter. But I am just curious if any in Canada has seen this and what VIN batch might start seeing this change? (I know for the states is 199 XXX, but I don't see that kind of number anywhere for my assigned VIN)

If any recent or upcoming M3 owners could shed light on this would be much appreciated!

So there is the news of Tesla removing the passenger lumbar adjustment. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions on this matter. But I am just curious if any in Canada has seen this and what VIN batch might start seeing this change? (I know for the states is 199 XXX, but I don't see that kind of number anywhere for my assigned VIN)

If any recent or upcoming M3 owners could shed light on this would be much appreciated!
Yeah any new built Model 3 or Y will no longer have passenger side lumbar for the time being at least. If you haven't taken delivery yet then it's a safe bet your car won't have it.

I don’t get this, why not just leave it in? Elon tweeted that it wasn’t being used, my friend ordered his car in January and has it, I won’t have it, same car, same year
So there is a parts shortage and Tesla is not the only one dropping the passenger lumbar support. There are reports that BMW is doing the same but they are giving some money back for it. My take on the matter is that Tesla is dropping the function due to the parts shortage but using the “nobody ever uses it anyway” excuse to save face and just cut their costs. Whether the function will return later, remains to be seen but they went about this the wrong way.

They quietly altered the design studio after this starting becoming publicly known and haven’t really told anyone that has an order in that they will be losing a feature they expected and more importantly paid for.

Not to defend Tesla, but every time someone presses a button in one of their cars, they can track it through the software. If Elon says no one is using it, then I would bet a lot of money that Tesla has detailed usage stats. I know mine has probably never been used - 95% of the time, I’m the only one in the car. I’m not sure my wife even knows it’s there when she does sit in the car.
Therefore, it’s simple economics. Why put a feature in every car if the vast majority of people just don’t use it?

Reactions: Vawlkus and cdswm3
Not to defend Tesla, but every time someone presses a button in one of their cars, they can track it through the software. If Elon says no one is using it, then I would bet a lot of money that Tesla has detailed usage stats. I know mine has probably never been used - 95% of the time, I’m the only one in the car. I’m not sure my wife even knows it’s there when she does sit in the car.
Therefore, it’s simple economics. Why put a feature in every car if the vast majority of people just don’t use it?
Interesting explanation that no one ever uses it. My wife used it once and she’s left it in the position she likes it the most. So we’ve used it once in the last year. Doesn’t mean we’re not using it. It’s just that that button doesn’t need constant re-adjustment.