Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more X on Dashcam for less than $40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this better than a high quality 128gb usb flash drive?

I would assume so. I have not seen anybody have good luck with any flash drive. For $30, you can not beat the reliability.

Carrying a "SSD" name does not mean it's better. It's buffer-less so the write endurance should be on par with average USB flash drives. Yet to been seen.

Carrying an SSD means it is better than a regular HDD. I have seen people trying HDD but doesn’t make sense to have the higher odds of mechanical failure in a moving vehicle. This SSD in particular is extremely thin which makes it better for this use.

I would assume so. I have not seen anybody have good luck with any flash drive. For $30, you can not beat the reliability.
Have you checked for corrupted video files and FSCKxxx.REC files yet after using this drive in the car? I bet you still get filesystem corruption, even if you don't get the "X" on the icon. This is a software issue that can only really be solved via a bug fix from Tesla.

Have you checked for corrupted video files and FSCKxxx.REC files yet after using this drive in the car? I bet you still get filesystem corruption, even if you don't get the "X" on the icon. This is a software issue that can only really be solved via a bug fix from Tesla.

Checked a few days ago and it was fine. I will wait another week to confirm it is still running smoothly and update with my results.

I've been using these two items together:

SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader [amazon.com] ~$13 USD
SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring Card with Adapter 32GB [amazon.com] ~$16 USD

Pretty small package that works well. I have two FAT32 partitions, one for TeslaCam and one for Music without issue. I use the same SanDisk High Endurance card in my Roav Anker Dash Cam C1 Pro without issues since the start of this year. Even though the microSD card is only Class 10, it benchmarks much higher.

9c4Meoz.png

My setup is probably overkill, but wanted something that should be more reliable, especially during a high-impact incident if one was to occur as long as the MCU keeps writing to the microSD.

Just in case, I keep a spare 32GB USB stick in the center console that worked well before I switched to this with a "TeslaCam" folder if an "X" appears and I'm not near a computer to reformat.

Reactions: torch0395
Checked a few days ago and it was fine. I will wait another week to confirm it is still running smoothly and update with my results.
Please check if you have FSCKxxx.rec files in your root directory. This appears to be the most reliable indicator that filesystem corruption is still occuring. Another is smaller than usual (or even zero length) video files in the TeslaCam directory that aren't playable.

Please check if you have FSCKxxx.rec files in your root directory. This appears to be the most reliable indicator that filesystem corruption is still occuring. Another is smaller than usual (or even zero length) video files in the TeslaCam directory that aren't playable.

Some corrupted files still there. But when I go into TeslaCam all recent and saved clips are still in good condition.

I'm wondering if switching user profiles increases the likelihood of corruption...since I only just realized the seat warmer settings are tied to user profile, which I find quite annoying...why don't the seat warmers turn off on their own after a certain amount of parking time?