Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No rear heated seats? [Incorrect: heated seats confirmed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

So there seems to be confusion over whether or not the Model 3 truly has rear heated seats.

The modding/ tuning company "T-Sportline", posted that the model 3 does NOT actually have the hardware for the rear seats. They would have found this out because they reupholstered the seats.

My question to this community is, does anyone have actual proof that the model 3 does in fact have/ not have the hardware for the heated rear seats?

Please no anecdotal stuff... unless i have missed to 100% determination... do we actually have any proof of yes or no?

Thanks!

No 100% proof - which would be Tesla putting out the update that allows you to turn them on. But Elon and many Tesla employees have “confirmed” that the hardware is there. There’s a lot of anecdotal evidence that they are there.

I wouldn't bet against it coming soon. This was shared to the subreddit briefly.

oB0yAaK.jpg

Another element to this question is if the hardware to support heated rear seats actually exists in Model 3s that have already been delivered then why have they still yet to update the software to allow control of it? How hard could it possibly be? They have the code written to control the heated front seats. They just need to change a few lines to control the rear seats instead and find a place for it in the UI. The fact that the Model 3 has been in production for several months now and the software still doesn't support the supposed rear heated seats does not bode well.

Very interesting! I'm guessing this reddit post has been deleted already? I did a quick look and couldn't find it. Anything other of interest that you saw in that thread on reddit?
Yes, it was already deleted when I found it. I found a link to it from my Twitter timeline from someone I follow liking a tweet. It seemed like a fairly quick deletion so there hadn't been much discussion about it, so I have no context.

Another element to this question is if the hardware to support heated rear seats actually exists in Model 3s that have already been delivered then why have they still yet to update the software to allow control of it? How hard could it possibly be? They have the code written to control the heated front seats.

They have the hardware for WiFi and it connects to Tesla Service, but there is still no UI for it. Some things just aren't a high priority right now.

@Ingineer has reported that the rear seat heater hardware is there, and I trust him more than anything else I have seen. (And Tesla executives have specifically stated that the rear seat are heated.)

Another element to this question is if the hardware to support heated rear seats actually exists in Model 3s that have already been delivered then why have they still yet to update the software to allow control of it? How hard could it possibly be? They have the code written to control the heated front seats. They just need to change a few lines to control the rear seats instead and find a place for it in the UI. The fact that the Model 3 has been in production for several months now and the software still doesn't support the supposed rear heated seats does not bode well.
My guess (complete speculation) is that they are working on a somewhat dramatic redesign of the UI that will include a lot of missing features and address many of the concerns that early drivers have brought up (heated rear seats, increase in scroll wheel control, WiFi, better navigation placement, better autopilot controls, etc). Putting rear seat heater controls in the current design is probably low priority if this were the case.

Reactions: T-Will and kbecks13
They have the hardware for WiFi and it connects to Tesla Service, but there is still no UI for it. Some things just aren't a high priority right now.

Ah, touché.

@Ingineer has reported that the rear seat heater hardware is there, and I trust him more than anything else I have seen. (And Tesla executives have specifically stated that the rear seat are heated.)

Good to know. My delivery likely won't be scheduled until after Spring has started, so as long as it's enabled before October/November this year that works for me!

Dang...no squiggly lines over the steering wheel....arghhh.

Strange that there is absolutely no mention of a heated steering wheel. In a $50,000USD vehicle... I feel like that should have been standard (like in every EV i've ever test driven).

I hope this gets added very soon. Canadian winters are f'n cold!

Here's my theory: AWD comes out in the spring and with it comes a new heated steering wheel, new windshield with the heater elements where the wipers rest, and the back heated seats. It's called the "cold weather package" just like the S/X and you pay about $750US for it. If the rear heated seats were activated now, Tesla couldn't make all that money off CWP which a lot of people will buy, especially in Canada, and Tesla needs cash bad. I think eventually the early Model 3s with the hardware will have it turned on for free but not until after it becomes a paid option for all new buyers.

Just my guess and I know the OP only wanted facts -- sorry.

This thread over on the Model 3 Owners page states that on teardown it was found that the Model 3 does indeed have rear heated seats, just not currently available n the UI.

Amazing - Inginineerix Model 3 teardown

Dan

I really don't get it. Why does something like the heated rear seats have to be such a mystery. Tesla officially started production halve a year ago, how can they not have implemented heated seats by now? It's winter, give the people heated rear seats!

Maybe they went full "rain sensing wipers" on it and instead of just adding a menu to the screen, the rear seats now have cameras that need to detect cold butts. In that case I hope they come up with rear heated seats beta until I get mine a year from now.

Here's my theory: AWD comes out in the spring and with it comes a new heated steering wheel, new windshield with the heater elements where the wipers rest, and the back heated seats. It's called the "cold weather package" just like the S/X and you pay about $750US for it. If the rear heated seats were activated now, Tesla couldn't make all that money off CWP which a lot of people will buy, especially in Canada, and Tesla needs cash bad. I think eventually the early Model 3s with the hardware will have it turned on for free but not until after it becomes a paid option for all new buyers.

Just my guess and I know the OP only wanted facts -- sorry.
The CWP doesn't exist (as a separate package) in the S and X anymore. I am pretty sure it comes with the PUP (along with a few other things).

Last edited:
No heated seat backs? I love that in my S. The icon in the leaked photo shows heat only on seat base.

I doubt we can infer that from the photo. They don’t want to make the UI too busy. Showing heat for just the bottom of the seat on the screen is good enough. I wouldn’t expect the ability to independently control the seat cushion and back rest heaters anyway, just the seat as a whole. Anyone with a Model 3 want to chime in? Do the front seats have heaters in the seat cushion as well as the back rest? If so then I would expect the same for the rear seats.