Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recent VIN assignments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've reviewed the data in the spreadsheet again and there's definitely a trend in the VINs and color. It seems that they produce roughly 100 cars for each color and then switch to the next. For example, almost every 12xx VIN is Midnight Silver, 13xx are Red, 14xx are Blue, 15xx are white. Granted, this is a super small sample set and there are other colors mixed in, but if you sort the list by ascending VINs you'll see the trends.

The other interesting thing is the the colors go in the same order. Midnight Silver -> Red -> Blue -> White -> Midnight Silver. There are random Black and regular Silver mixed between, but those two colors don't appear in clumps. I think it's clear what the popular colors, which is not surprising to me at all.

It appears that the first 2000 were also batched by wheel size, which is actually quite surprising to me. Color makes sense since that requires a paint shop refresh. Wheels seem like those would be easy to mix/match, but I guess not...probably a feature of the automated nature at this point in the game and requiring a refresh on the robots to change the wheels.

So the overall trend I'm seeing is that wheels > color. In other words, 11xx - 15xx are all 18" with the colors sequential in approximately 100 cars per color. 16xx - 20xx are all 19" with the colors sequential.

After the first 2000 however it now is less consistent with the wheel size, but the colors still seem to follow the pattern. The problem is the data for 2000+ VINs is sparse so it's harder to see the trends, but they're there still.

All of that tells me that I should see a VIN either tomorrow or Monday. They don't appear to assign VINs on the weekends (which suggests that at least the update to the website with VIN requires a human touch). Today we saw VINs issued for car in the high 5000s (57xx-60xx) but only a few. The last car matching my config (Blue + 18") was a 42xx that was assigned 9 days ago as well as a 30xx assigned that same day. My guess is I'll be ending up with a 54xx-55xx.

As for when they're assigning the VINs, that's anyones guess. I'm assuming they're adding them to the Tesla Account page after the car is already in transit. This will allow for easier logistics as the 4-10 days in transit allows for the Inside Sales Advisor to handle all the paperwork, drawing up the sales agreement, confirming details without making the car wait like it would if these details had to be handled prior to production as on the S and X.

TLDR: There's a pattern emerging but data is too sparse still to know for sure. I'll have a car in 10-14 days though is my guess.

For order details: 3/31 reservation, 1/4 Invite/Config, Blue + 18" + EAP, Delivered to Richmond, VA

Repeating a question asked earlier. Where does one find their VIN first? In Tesla account page? From rep? Somewhere else?

It appears that many find it from their Tesla Account page. However I know that the Internal Owner Advisors will also reach out with it as I had my OA mix me up with someone else and call me the other day stating my car was on its way. Once he said it was going to another state I knew there was a mistake. He realized he called the wrong person and much sadness was had.

Thx for sharing your observations. I'm in the unpopular Silver group and noticed we are getting no love based on the delivery strategy. Of the 11 "owner" rows on the tracker who indicated Silver Metallic color, only 2 have received VINs so far (both in store 31-Mar-16 orders), on 12-Jan, the other on 25-Jan. I reserved online (31-Mar-16, as soon as the website allowed it), and confirmed 4-Jan-18, so I expect the other 2 in-store, 31-Mar orders will eventually get their VINs ahead of me (as they should). Hopefully, though, not with 13 days gap between each Silver VIN assignment, or I will be waiting another 6+ weeks just to see a VIN!

I almost chose Blue, but the wife wanted Silver (and this will be her car), so we wait with the other poor Silver 6th class citizens for our day to come!

Happy to see the others getting their cars and reporting they are enjoying them. First deliveries in Atlanta (Decatur, GA) happened this past week.

So I've reviewed the data in the spreadsheet again and there's definitely a trend in the VINs and color. It seems that they produce roughly 100 cars for each color and then switch to the next. For example, almost every 12xx VIN is Midnight Silver, 13xx are Red, 14xx are Blue, 15xx are white. Granted, this is a super small sample set and there are other colors mixed in, but if you sort the list by ascending VINs you'll see the trends.

The other interesting thing is the the colors go in the same order. Midnight Silver -> Red -> Blue -> White -> Midnight Silver. There are random Black and regular Silver mixed between, but those two colors don't appear in clumps. I think it's clear what the popular colors, which is not surprising to me at all.

It appears that the first 2000 were also batched by wheel size, which is actually quite surprising to me. Color makes sense since that requires a paint shop refresh. Wheels seem like those would be easy to mix/match, but I guess not...probably a feature of the automated nature at this point in the game and requiring a refresh on the robots to change the wheels.

So the overall trend I'm seeing is that wheels > color. In other words, 11xx - 15xx are all 18" with the colors sequential in approximately 100 cars per color. 16xx - 20xx are all 19" with the colors sequential.

After the first 2000 however it now is less consistent with the wheel size, but the colors still seem to follow the pattern. The problem is the data for 2000+ VINs is sparse so it's harder to see the trends, but they're there still.

All of that tells me that I should see a VIN either tomorrow or Monday. They don't appear to assign VINs on the weekends (which suggests that at least the update to the website with VIN requires a human touch). Today we saw VINs issued for car in the high 5000s (57xx-60xx) but only a few. The last car matching my config (Blue + 18") was a 42xx that was assigned 9 days ago as well as a 30xx assigned that same day. My guess is I'll be ending up with a 54xx-55xx.

As for when they're assigning the VINs, that's anyones guess. I'm assuming they're adding them to the Tesla Account page after the car is already in transit. This will allow for easier logistics as the 4-10 days in transit allows for the Inside Sales Advisor to handle all the paperwork, drawing up the sales agreement, confirming details without making the car wait like it would if these details had to be handled prior to production as on the S and X.

TLDR: There's a pattern emerging but data is too sparse still to know for sure. I'll have a car in 10-14 days though is my guess.

For order details: 3/31 reservation, 1/4 Invite/Config, Blue + 18" + EAP, Delivered to Richmond, VA

Reactions: DR61 and navguy12
I got mine updated yesterday (Sat, 27-Jan), too. 51xx.

Details:
  • Current owner
  • Reserved online first day (31-Mar-16)
  • Invited to configure 4-Jan-18
  • Chose Silver Metallic, 18" wheels, enhanced autopilot
  • Completed configuration/order the 4-Jan-18, around 8:30 pm ET.
  • Live in Marietta, GA (Decatur location for delivery)

That's good to hear! i'm in the silver batch as well. Hopefully I'll get a VIN tomorrow