TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No recent VIN assignments?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by evforme, Jan 24, 2018.

1. evforme

evforme Member

So I configured my car on the 15th and have not received a VIN, despite the sales associate saying it should be "imminent". I was starting to get worried but looking at the Model 3 Invites spreadsheet, it looks like very few VINs have been assigned for people who have configured in the last few weeks. Filtering by configuraiton date, I see 68 configured cars since January 6th, but only 9 vin assignments (~13%). Do we know what's going on to cause the delays?

2. GTKAZ

GTKAZ Supporting Member

I placed my order on 6 Jan and still no VIN...

3. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I configured and paid, completed paper work on Jan 4th...still no VIN. I don’t see how it will be delivered Within 4 weeks

4. AAARSINIC

AAARSINIC Member

Crazy. I got my invite to configure this afternoon, and just got a call from Tesla not more than a few hours later for Delivery on January 30th in San Diego. Vin 59xx.

• Love x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. evforme

evforme Member

What color did you get?

I'm kind of wondering if they're batching VINs by destination and/or color, but since it's been ~3 weeks for some, seems unlikely

6. hacer

hacer Member

I ordered on the 4th and got my VIN 44xx today.

• Like x 2
  7. John Beans

John Beans Member

On M3OC one owner said he configured a VIN "close to 6000," which one would assume is 5XXX. He can weigh in here at some point. Not sure why he's not at least giving out the first two digits...

8. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

Configured on the 14th for a red with aero and still no VIN.

9. AAARSINIC

AAARSINIC Member

Midnight silver with sport wheels.

10. spudnik187

spudnik187 Member

Configured on the 12th. Black with aeros. No VIN yet. Austin, TX.

• Informative x 1
  11. toothfixeralex

It’s probably some odd algorithm at work. I ordered on the 4th and still no VIN. Based on the spreadsheet I see VINs and deliveries scheduled North South East and West of me for people who orders after me. I’m assuming it has a lot to do with the local Tesla store. If I had selected the store just 2 hours north of me I’d be driving my 3 already.

I don’t think it’s as simple as color + region since all the people who have listed Richmond, VA still don’t have a VIN and there are different color combos in that group.

The other outlier is that Inside Sales out in Las Vegas is handling the process to include scheduling at the local store. This means that the local DS isn’t running their own schedule. I’m wondering then if part of the issue could be that the local store must have to update their schedule to allow for the Inside Sales team to handle the scheduling. I have this fear that certain stores are simply not realizing their schedules are “blocked” so then Inside Sales can’t see the open delivery time and then don’t assign the VIN.

Wacky thoughts in my 3 weeks past order depression

12. HG Wells

HG Wells Member

Things that might affect VIN assignments.

1. Has the store you selected delivered any model threes. IE they may not have been trained yet.

2. Color combination and wheel options.

3. Transportation. Car carrier available going to selected site.

4. Moon and stars aligned properly!

13. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Vin today .. > 5500

• Like x 1
  14. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

This adds nothing. How bout other stats. Color, Location, configure date?

15. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

#15 Rockster, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    How do you learn that the vin has been assigned? Is it solely by logging on to your Tesla page or do you get an email notification? (Probably a silly question since we we're not even getting email invitations to configure!)

• Like x 1
  16. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

17. Francop

Francop Member

Tesla also registered more VINs with the NHTSA, highest VIN is 10060: Recalls

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  18. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

#18 bhzmark, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Oh rough crowd in the VIN threads.

Reserved 3/31 in DC store as owner with local address. Invite jan 4; configured white 18" Jan 6. Annoyed other Jan 4 invites were getting vins and even cars but not me until finally today getting Vin 56xx

Update: Tesla email states delivery after Feb 3

19. FinrodNV

FinrodNV Member

Well they took about two weeks for me to get a VIN (438X). I had ordered on 1/4 and got VIN on 1/20. I've gotten a couple calls from Tesla so far, next one should be for scheduling delivery... My guess is sometime next week.

20. azred

azred Active Member

Don't know about Model 3 but batching by destination has been the norm for S.