Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recent VIN assignments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, are VINS assigned pre-production, during production, post-production or all of the above? Has anyone cracked that code yet? Someone just posted parking lot full of white M3s. I am curious if those VINS have already been assigned? I am in the same boat as the other 2/22 White Aero people. We are all concerned that if we miss this window, we could be in for a very long wait for the next white batch.

Post production. When a car clears all the QC checks, it's VIN can be assigned. Sometimes, it's not assigned until already in transit.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
So, are VINS assigned pre-production, during production, post-production or all of the above? Has anyone cracked that code yet?

I’m not sure anyone has a definitive answer on this. At this point my best guess is that VINs are either assigned to orders during production or post production. I get the sense that I was not assigned my VIN until my car was already fully assembled.

So, are VINS assigned pre-production, during production, post-production or all of the above? Has anyone cracked that code yet? Someone just posted parking lot full of white M3s. I am curious if those VINS have already been assigned? I am in the same boat as the other 2/22 White Aero people. We are all concerned that if we miss this window, we could be in for a very long wait for the next white batch.

I think I have only been on this forum for a week (one year in Tesla wait time) but I realized a few days ago the key is the production batch of your color. Kudos to all those that figured it out and show that white SHOULD be followed by black. My fear is that I won't get my VIN in the next few days when all of the black come out and I'll need to wait another 2 weeks for the next black production run.

I got a call from an unknown Las Vegas area code number this morning. I remember there being some chatter on this thread about Tesla personnel calls from that area code so I answered.

"Hi, I'm calling from Tesla, good morning"
Me: Good morning to you too! (breathe, breathe, breathe)
"I'm calling about your interest in our solar roof product from a few months ago".
Me: Silence.

It almost felt like they were screwing with me on purpose.

Sigh. No VIN. Back to waiting.
2/22 Config. White/Aero

Post production. When a car clears all the QC checks, it's VIN can be assigned. Sometimes, it's not assigned until already in transit.
Really? Aren't there multiple Vins on a vehicle to prevent Vin swapping and theft? My 69 camaro has the vin stamped on the sheetmetal in the cowl below the windshield and below the heater motor. Do Teslas have a Vin on the motor/transmission?

I got a call from an unknown Las Vegas area code number this morning. I remember there being some chatter on this thread about Tesla personnel calls from that area code so I answered.

"Hi, I'm calling from Tesla, good morning"
Me: Good morning to you too! (breathe, breathe, breathe)
"I'm calling about your interest in our solar roof product from a few months ago".
Me: Silence.

It almost felt like they were screwing with me on purpose.

Sigh. No VIN. Back to waiting.
2/22 Config. White/Aero

Oh that is just cruel! Send Tesla the bill for your next therapy session.

• Funny
Reactions: pikachu and Dave B
6 people have ordered before me and still don't have VIN for Black. When you sort by config date and look at vin assignments its real easy to see that black is next. every gap in vins is a person waiting for that colors. Tomorrow!

And that puts at least 7 people ahead of my black/aero 2/22 order. Tomorrow indeed, and hopefully a large enough batch to cover us non-owners. I'm growing more worried by the moment, though, that I'll be on the outside looking in with a long wait still ahead.

I just got my Vin today (3/14), config 2/14, vin 74XX. Not sure why the vin is so low. Maybe I got someone else's after they declined?

White/ Aero, San Jose Area.
No that is just how they assign numbers with different specs. It does represent sequential production. I have the same VIN range 74xx and mine is just coming off the production line.

Perhaps it's because they are trying to obfuscate what is really happening in the factory. Throw off the trackers!
The north lot used to be the only lot they used, they added the south lot for Model 3. It looks like getting trucks in fast enough to get product out the door is their next logistics problem. Really surprised they didn't update the rail siding to load directly to trains, seems like it would be an order of magnitude more efficient. They may be doing final QC check in north lot and then moving to south lot for shipping. If so, that sounds like it should be a top priority for process improvement.