Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

no sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very meaningful for AP2 owners, who do not have dashcam, sentry mode etc. All this would work if they got upgraded to HW3.

The trigger for the HW3 upgrades has always been an FSD feature that needs it.

I’d love for it to be otherwise, but I very much suspect that until that happens you are not going to see AP2 getting upgrades just to run things that 2.5 can already cope with...

There are no Sentry Mode release notes for AP2 cars as AP2 does not support Dashcam and Sentry mode uses Dashcam, so no Sentry mode for AP2 right now...
Well, yes and no. The supposition is that the dash cam uses the extra Parker chip found on the AP2.5 ECU. The question was/still is that if the car is stationary and doesn’t require the AP2.0 hardware to drive, would sentry mode just run on it. There’s not really anything in the code preventing it from running on AP2.0 other than the fact Tesla did not include the binaries to run it for some reason. Possible reason being they don’t want some cars to only have grey scale images whereas the AP2.5 cars have color images. So basically no technical reason. @verygreen can confirm all of this. Originally Elon did say, after all, that sentry mode would be available on all cars with AP2 and up. So back to my original question of if anyone with AP2 could post the release notes, it would be interesting...

The supposition is that the dash cam uses the extra Parker chip found on the AP2.5 ECU
In the past I would say dash cam does not use the other parker. I used to say that nothing happens there, but on model3 they started to use it for dashcam in 19.8.1 because they also need to do the backup cam.

Now in 19.8.3 due to sentry mode they actually moved entire dashcam to the -b node.

But the thing is - it's clear the dashcam would actually work on on hw2.0 because it was all hosted on the -a node just fine in hw2.5 even if we subscribe to the idea that the sentry mode actually needs to be on the -b node for cpu constraints or some such.

In the past I would say dash cam does not use the other parker. I used to say that nothing happens there, but on model3 they started to use it for dashcam in 19.8.1 because they also need to do the backup cam.

Now in 19.8.3 due to sentry mode they actually moved entire dashcam to the -b node.

But the thing is - it's clear the dashcam would actually work on on hw2.0 because it was all hosted on the -a node just fine in hw2.5 even if we subscribe to the idea that the sentry mode actually needs to be on the -b node for cpu constraints or some such.

Do you know of any major hardware changes in V3.0 that might be an issue for future software updated with HW 2.5? The reason I asl is we are about to take delivery of a HW 2.5 car and we could delay to see what materializes with HW 3.0 if we wanted... We plan to keep this car forever so if there are any major features in HW 3.0, especially with regards to sensors, we'd rather wait for that.

Do you know of any major hardware changes in V3.0 that might be an issue for future software updated with HW 2.5
yeah. they changed the entire thing. the -b node on hw3 is full featured it looks like, not gimped on memory at least like the hw2.5 one and has their own copy of the trip coprocessors (two per node it looks like).

Then people claim hw3 is going to be much faster for NNs (but we don't know that) and they have more and faster CPU cores too than Nvidia TX2 stuff.

I am not aware of any sensor changes, that one remains to be seen I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: Leopold Stotch
yeah. they changed the entire thing. the -b node on hw3 is full featured it looks like, not gimped on memory at least like the hw2.5 one and has their own copy of the trip coprocessors (two per node it looks like).

Then people claim hw3 is going to be much faster for NNs (but we don't know that) and they have more and faster CPU cores too than Nvidia TX2 stuff.

I am not aware of any sensor changes, that one remains to be seen I guess.

Thanks for the info! The way I see it, HW 2.5 customers should be fine as long as they don't have sensor changes, as they will get the HW 3.0 CPU upgrade -- right?

Thanks for the info! The way I see it, HW 2.5 customers should be fine as long as they don't have sensor changes, as they will get the HW 3.0 CPU upgrade -- right?
may be. depends on what car you are getting. if it's a 3, the retrofit is a pain in the ass, takes hours and so who knows if they'd even do it. Retrofit is much easier on S/X though and would take a bit under an hour with a lot less disassembly required so seems to be more likely.

That said, it's not a given there would be retrofit so if you want hw3 for sure - don't get delivery of hw2.5.

may be. depends on what car you are getting. if it's a 3, the retrofit is a pain in the ass, takes hours and so who knows if they'd even do it. Retrofit is much easier on S/X though and would take a bit under an hour with a lot less disassembly required so seems to be more likely.

That said, it's not a given there would be retrofit so if you want hw3 for sure - don't get delivery of hw2.5.

Now you tell me! :p

• Funny
Reactions: Leopold Stotch