Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sidemarkers on EU models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the Tesla dealer in Oslo here in Norway last weekend, and saw the Model S for the first time in real life. Was very impressed with the car, and I am seriously considering getting on the reservation list.

But I noticed that the front sidemarkers were missing from the car. And maybe the parking lights around the fog lights as well? And when I come to think about it, the rear sidemarkers were not lighting up either.

If you look at this picture, you see that something is missing over the fog light.

Are all the other European demo cars just like this as well?

IMG_0253.JPG

--
Yngve

Are all the other European demo cars just like this as well?

As far as I know, the European demo cars are just U.S. cars with a couple of modifications that allow them to be registered and driven. The actual European cars are rumored be quite different in terms of side lighting, charging, etc.

The car In Oslo has been modified with original EU spec lights.

The sidemarkers/blinkers is the same as In the US model.
The "always on orange marker lights" is removed.
The rear lights have a amber blinker integrated In the housing. Its inside the red circle.
I can pass by the store and grab a video some day this week - if anyone is up for it.

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

OK, I'm an idiot. What sidemarkers? I'm staring myself blind on that picture and can't see anything different between that car and any other production car.
Make that two (2) idiots.
I would only expect the rear turn signals to flash amber (which is what I've been asking Tesla for and they said NO; not even a retrofit.)
What are we looking for? As he rubs his retinas.

If it is just a different bulb then any of us in North America should be able to replace them.
Believe me, I've asked Tesla this question from every angle. I asked if I could have the part sent from my UK office and have it put on here. They told me it was not possible. But they would not say on what grounds ... technical, legal etc. I figured I would wait until my "beauty" arrived first, then start really looking into it.
Also wonder if ordering parts for a MS if you have to provide your / a (European) VIN?
LED's can change colour given different voltages I believe. Given that scenario, it might be more complex than just changing a bulb.
Different reflector?

If it is just a different bulb then any of us in North America should be able to replace them.

The rear lights are LED assemblies that are Tesla unique. There is no easy way to replace them. While I didn't pull apart the rear lights, I did look as some of the other assemblies and they were surface mount LEDs on a PC board, making it very difficult to remove and replace the individual LEDs to get a different color or brightness. From Attachment 15575 photo, it was difficult to tell if the amber lights were LED or incandescent. I expect they are LEDs like the US version, just a different color.

Now it would seem like if Tesla would sell the European assembly, it could be switched with the US version. Still it may require a fair amount of disassembly of the back end to get to it. Perhaps because it is a bit of work to switch assemblies, Tesla is saying no. It might also be a problem with US regulations, not so much the color, but perhaps how the car is certified, making it a problem for Tesla to change it here. Still seems like even with regulations (if true), individuals could swap it out without a problem.

I'd prefer the amber as well, but I expect it's a significant project in time and expense that's not worth it to me.

Side markers as far as I am aware are not required in Europe. At least cars don't have them, obviously larger vehicles do. I guess Tesla (and pretty much all automakers except Volvo ?) get rid of them on non-US models as, well, why have lights running when not needed.

As for the turn signals, the Euro ones in that picture show the amber part being "within" the brake light as it were, whereas the US turn signals blink the brake lights, so a retrofit although of course not impossible would not be as simple as changing the LEDs for amber ones. (as you'd end up with amber brake lights)

Side markers as far as I am aware are not required in Europe. At least cars don't have them, obviously larger vehicles do. I guess Tesla (and pretty much all automakers except Volvo ?) get rid of them on non-US models as, well, why have lights running when not needed.
I am not as convinced as you. If we're talking side markers as the turn signals just in front of the drivers / passenger door, (with Signature on it if applicable), then ...

I bought a Lexus RX400h 5 years ago and a lacking feature was just this. Side turn signals which I feel necessary so you can see the guy in the next lane to you as he intends to steal your lane.

On business in London a while later I saw the identical Lexus. No discernible difference except that it had a turn signal. I checked with dealer in London and my dealer in Illinois and was told it was a requirement in the UK.

I did find it odd that a car brand calling itself "the relentless pursuit of perfection" would skimp on such a trivial part.

But back to the rear turn signals, if there's a way. I'll find it! :tongue:

I don't mean side indicators.. those are definitely required, and interestingly I am not sure they are required in the states but yet the Model S has them... and I think on some (perhaps early models but maybe all, anyone?) they are incandescent which is very odd considering all the LEDs. Anyway, I digress.

I mean the permanently lit "marker" lights rather than indicators (turn signals). Here's an example, Fiat 500, USA first, European second.

2012-Fiat-500-U.S.-Spec-Side-View.jpg

Fiat-500-Color-Therapy-Yellow-Left-Side.jpg

In front of the front wheel arch and behind the rear one there are orange and red lights to mark out the car.. safety reasons I guess. On the european model there are no such lights.

Model S marker lights below. Front, just above the foglight:

blackcar_a.jpg

Rear, the 3 LEDs behind the charge port:

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-04%20at%2015.18.57.png

So yeah, I guess they have got rid of these for the EU model, perhaps in the tail light also to make room for a larger charging port cover? Who knows...

Believe me, I've asked Tesla this question from every angle. I asked if I could have the part sent from my UK office and have it put on here. They told me it was not possible. But they would not say on what grounds ... technical, legal etc. I figured I would wait until my "beauty" arrived first, then start really looking into it.
Also wonder if ordering parts for a MS if you have to provide your / a (European) VIN?
LED's can change colour given different voltages I believe. Given that scenario, it might be more complex than just changing a bulb.
Different reflector?

As someone who has aftermarket changed red rear turn signals to amber it may well not be 'possible'. I had to run an additional wire. I had to find a pin out. Then I had to reprogram the car to operate 'european' lighting. And find the correct pinout for the amber rear blinkers. Generally cars with red rear turn signals use the brake light wire to operate the blinker. If you wanted amber lights you would have to run another wire (and possibly another return wire) and if there isn't anywhere to plug that wire in up at the front (i.e. they only have a single pin out that can be use for turn signals) you can't plug it in anywhere.

Sure you could wire the rear lights with the fronts (but you might blow a fuse, or get bulb out alarms). Or you could run a signal (off of the fronts lights) to a small micro-controller that then decides for itself what to do with the rear lights. (Basically another brain just for the rear lights). So it could be done, but probably not easily. My guess is there isn't an extra pin out, and Tesla is using a common brake/blink signal cable.

They are just reflectors there, and there is a bolt-on fog light below the diffuser for EU compliance. I'd imagine that in the final EU version they might swap out one of the reflectors with partial fog light so it is subtly integrated...

US DOT requirements requre that there are front reflector/bulbs in amber and rear reflector/bulbs in Red when viewing the car from the side. To my knowledge, the EU does not have this requirement, thus the lights are different. When importing a car from Europe to the US, these lights have to be changed to meet US requirements.