Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Sonic with my update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
surprised this hasn't been addressed by Tesla yet - everyday new owners ask the same thing re: games and the usb ports on new vehicles. Some text on screen saying some games not available due to the usb-c data only ports, etc etc. This would save some customer aggravation and provide some cost savings (support).

I tried this and it didn't. The same controllers worked in my 2019 m3p perfectly in the front USB ports. I can't download sonic either.
Scrap that, I have got this to work, so I now have functionality through the glovebox port. So I have one port and no Sonic and no wireless charging. One step forward but Tesla needs to address these issues sharpish.

Wait, I don't play any games, or planning on playing any games, but I just noticed my MYLR(44.30) has sonic, but my MYP(44.30) doesn't.
Not too tech savvy, so what is my MYP missing? Wireless charger works, USB port in glove box, USB C port in the center console, and back of the arm rest for rear passengers.
Does my MYLR have something that MYP is missing?
MYP usb c ports are for charging only, but MYLR ports are for charging and gaming controls? Did I get this right?
Not a big deal as I mentioned above, I won't be playing any games, but just curious on what the differences are.

Wait, I don't play any games, or planning on playing any games, but I just noticed my MYLR(44.30) has sonic, but my MYP(44.30) doesn't.
Not too tech savvy, so what is my MYP missing? Wireless charger works, USB port in glove box, USB C port in the center console, and back of the arm rest for rear passengers.
Does my MYLR have something that MYP is missing?
MYP usb c ports are for charging only, but MYLR ports are for charging and gaming controls? Did I get this right?
Not a big deal as I mentioned above, I won't be playing any games, but just curious on what the differences are.
Theoretically, if the usb c console ports are power only then there should be no Sonic or Cuphead. If they are data enabled then the games should be present. Even though the usb a port in the glovebox seems to always have data it doesn’t impart Sonic or Cuphead functionality unless the usb c console ports are data capable.
Doesn't make sense but that seems to be the way it is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond and SMR514
Theoretically, if the usb c console ports are power only then there should be no Sonic or Cuphead. If they are data enabled then the games should be present. Even though the usb a port in the glovebox seems to always have data it doesn’t impart Sonic or Cuphead functionality unless the usb c console ports are data capable.
That's just how a trillion dolla rolls these days 😂

Reactions: rbcopod
Okay, thanks for making it simple for me to understand haha

This is correct per my communications with Tesla, and is their official line. My suspicion is that they are doing this to avoid having a bunch of service calls claiming that games aren't working, from people who don't know there's such a thing as a USB port that doesn't support data.

It seems that they just went about this backwards...they need to make bluetooth controllers directly compatible with the car, or release/include a Tesla-branded game controller, and THEN they can remove data functionality from the center console. A good solution to this would be to send new confused buyers a Tesla game controller that works with the car, and then for future buyers add it to the Tesla shop so that those who want the games can choose to buy a controller.

This is correct per my communications with Tesla, and is their official line. My suspicion is that they are doing this to avoid having a bunch of service calls claiming that games aren't working, from people who don't know there's such a thing as a USB port that doesn't support data.

It seems that they just went about this backwards...they need to make bluetooth controllers directly compatible with the car, or release/include a Tesla-branded game controller, and THEN they can remove data functionality from the center console. A good solution to this would be to send new confused buyers a Tesla game controller that works with the car, and then for future buyers add it to the Tesla shop so that those who want the games can choose to buy a controller.
Once the Tesla branded controller hit the shop it would sell out in less than 10 min and remain out of stock for months - lol. Tell me I'm wrong.

But you don't need to use the USB-C for this, you can use the working USB in the glovebox to connect a controller and it'll work.
Tried my glove box does not recognize the controller I called Tesla no help they said its because they removed the games due to govenment not allowing people to play I think the sale guy had no idea what he was talking about

Tried my glove box does not recognize the controller I called Tesla no help they said its because they removed the games due to government not allowing people to play I think the sale guy had no idea what he was talking about. I tried plugging into the glove box still does not recognize the controller any idea how to get this to work the Tesla service guy told me to reset the Tesla by the two front buttons on the steering wheel that does not fix anything either. Model Y took delivery Dec 11th, 2021. Tesla told me to buy a MAYFLASH Magic NS Wireless Bluetooth Controller USB Adapter at $20.00 I should not have to buy anything my neighbor has a Tesla 2020 and he plays video games with no problems. If anyone figures this out please let me know I am dying with frustration lol !!! Tries with PS4 and Xbox no luck and no cup head, no sonic and no tik tok

They'd need to address the majority of it to keep me as a future customer, though, because of the principal of the thing. (I would make an exception for radar, if vision only becomes great. Same for lumbar, can just get a pillow. Rest of the stuff needs to be tackled, though.)

The thing is that there's 100 other people that will take your place in line if you don't want to be a customer... until that changes, I don't think the "randomness" will go away.

• Disagree
Reactions: AutoRocket
ve got even worse news.

I have a ‘22 MYLR born after 11/1/21 with crippled console USB c ports.

As a work around I put a 4 port usb a hub in the glovebox. I mounted the Tesla usb thumb drive for sentry, a microsd card to port 2 for usb music, and I have a wired controller for use in third port. 4th port empty. I leave the game controller not plugged in. I’m planning to get a wireless dongle to eventually occupy one slot for gaming rather than using a wired controller.

Was three hours from home, just supercharged, and the touch screen went unresponsive. Music started skipping. Then the screen went dark. I was driving at the time. It was night. Headlights stayed on, but directionals no longer functioned externally or internally. Obviously had no idea what speed I was going.

I held down both steering wheel buttons for 20 seconds. Nothing. Pulled over.

Tried both buttons again. Nothing. Tried brake pedal plus both buttons. Nothing. Called support.

While waiting for support, the screen woke up and gave an initializing message. It was dark for over 5 minutes before it recovered.

Support remoted in and said my cpu was going crazy processing and it was likely because i had a usb hub. He said the usb hub in the glovebox can only handle sentry and that’s it. I can take it out for a usb music drive, or for a game controller. He said they don’t support using a hub in the glovebox because the cpu can’t handle the data load.

So I have a new car that can’t be safely driven if I try to use music in it while driving. I have no ability to leave a usb hub in. I have no other place to plug in data for boombox, gaming, or usb music. I’m told by support that the car can’t handle it. I am denied Sonic and Cuphead.

This is despite the manuals clearly stating that all of this functionality exists and is designed for regular use. That is except for those tens of thousands of us who had the data from the consoles quietly removed months after we ordered the car. This is a deceitful and underhanded alteration.

Now there isn’t even a safe workaround.

Let the lawsuits begin.

ve got even worse news.

I have a ‘22 MYLR born after 11/1/21 with crippled console USB c ports.

As a work around I put a 4 port usb a hub in the glovebox. I mounted the Tesla usb thumb drive for sentry, a microsd card to port 2 for usb music, and I have a wired controller for use in third port. 4th port empty. I leave the game controller not plugged in. I’m planning to get a wireless dongle to eventually occupy one slot for gaming rather than using a wired controller.

Was three hours from home, just supercharged, and the touch screen went unresponsive. Music started skipping. Then the screen went dark. I was driving at the time. It was night. Headlights stayed on, but directionals no longer functioned externally or internally. Obviously had no idea what speed I was going.

I held down both steering wheel buttons for 20 seconds. Nothing. Pulled over.

Tried both buttons again. Nothing. Tried brake pedal plus both buttons. Nothing. Called support.

While waiting for support, the screen woke up and gave an initializing message. It was dark for over 5 minutes before it recovered.

Support remoted in and said my cpu was going crazy processing and it was likely because i had a usb hub. He said the usb hub in the glovebox can only handle sentry and that’s it. I can take it out for a usb music drive, or for a game controller. He said they don’t support using a hub in the glovebox because the cpu can’t handle the data load.

So I have a new car that can’t be safely driven if I try to use music in it while driving. I have no ability to leave a usb hub in. I have no other place to plug in data for boombox, gaming, or usb music. I’m told by support that the car can’t handle it. I am denied Sonic and Cuphead.

This is despite the manuals clearly stating that all of this functionality exists and is designed for regular use. That is except for those tens of thousands of us who had the data from the consoles quietly removed months after we ordered the car. This is a deceitful and underhanded alteration.

Now there isn’t even a safe workaround.

Let the lawsuits begin.
That is horrible so basically we all were duped. I appreciate you letting me me know I was about to put a USB hub in my glove box glad I have not I would freak out if my screen went black while driving. I have called Tesla in a few different states regarding this issue hoping that someone would know something. No one knows anything just get the run around that the government made them remove the data ports as it was unsafe to play games while driving even though I told them what about when we are in park the sales guy and service says does not matter in fact they even told me I should follow the news more carefully lol !! So at this point anyone with a model Y that received their car Dec 2021 will not be able to have any data port to play games with a controller or any place to plug in data for boombox, gaming, or USB music plus no cup head or sonic. For a $74,000.00 car just wow.... I sure hope someone can get to the bottom of this I am too small to have my words heard. No one at Tesla seems to care. The guy told me if I don't like the way the car is there are plenty of people that would gladly buy the car from me I just don't like being lied to step up Tesla and take care of your customers. I think if we can get enough people involved maybe just maybe they will do the right thing !!!

That is horrible so basically we all were duped. I appreciate you letting me me know I was about to put a USB hub in my glove box glad I have not I would freak out if my screen went black while driving. I have called Tesla in a few different states regarding this issue hoping that someone would know something. No one knows anything just get the run around that the government made them remove the data ports as it was unsafe to play games while driving even though I told them what about when we are in park the sales guy and service says does not matter in fact they even told me I should follow the news more carefully lol !! So at this point anyone with a model Y that received their car Dec 2021 will not be able to have any data port to play games with a controller or any place to plug in data for boombox, gaming, or USB music plus no cup head or sonic. For a $74,000.00 car just wow.... I sure hope someone can get to the bottom of this I am too small to have my words heard. No one at Tesla seems to care. The guy told me if I don't like the way the car is there are plenty of people that would gladly buy the car from me I just don't like being lied to step up Tesla and take care of your customers. I think if we can get enough people involved maybe just maybe they will do the right thing !!!
But the government thought is was ok to leave this in the older cars and the current S and X? Come on and at least have your lies be plausible.

Run around. This type of costumer service is what will allow other automakers to eventually vault past Tesla. They were first to market. They may have a superior product in many ways. Remember Betamax?

But the government thought is was ok to leave this in the older cars and the current S and X? Come on and at least have your lies be plausible.

Run around. This type of costumer service is what will allow other automakers to eventually vault past Tesla. They were first to market. They may have a superior product in many ways. Remember Betamax?
Yep we must be about the same age lol !! Betamax I think I was around 10 years old. I have a service appointment on the 18th what I have been reading I think we may be out of luck also my neighbor has the Tesla Plaid and he gets Sonic and Cup head and all the games and he can plug in his controller too. He told me I should of bought the plaid I guess when you spend $175K on a car you get better service also he told me that he took his car into service and they gave him a model 3 loner but the guy in front of him was having service on his model Y and they gave him Uber credits so what does that say !!! The only reason I bought this car is because my 16 year old son told me that I be part of the future. The car is awesome but I want what everyone else has with there car and I want to play that racing game with a controller not my steering wheel or fingers so lame just maybe they will come out with a way to connect the controllers by Bluetooth would that be so hard to do but this whole things needs to be fixed.