Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No test drives until 1/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No test drives because they’ve sold all their demos as well. Why would they sell all of their demo/test drive cars? Really makes me think a significant design change is coming.

Attachments

• 83BF2A35-8CF2-46AD-8E51-30A4E7A992D0.png
    83BF2A35-8CF2-46AD-8E51-30A4E7A992D0.png
    572.5 KB · Views: 220
I picked up my new M3P without having ever been within 10 feet of a Tesla, and truly couldn’t be happier with the purchase.
My LRMY was the first Tesla I saw in person. Maybe it's a New Mexico thing. I've only seen three other Teslas in Silver City and two of them had out of state plates.

Mine was a demo I bought at the end of the 2nd quarter of 2021. It arrived on Elon's 50th birthday. It makes sense for them to sell all the demos at the end of the quarter so they get a fresh fleet every 3 months. With the EV tax credit coming soon and the various distractions, I wouldn't be surprised if this was their biggest end-of-quarter push ever.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Yep, Merry Christmas! That's the normal end-of-quarter push to get as many cars delivered as possible. It's been happening as long as I've owned a Tesla and that's over 4yrs now.

In fact, when I ordered mine in mid-August 2018, the delivery wait was estimated 2 to 4 months. Then on Sept 25th, I got a text from Tesla saying my car was matched, if I was ready to take delivery within 5 days, ie before the end-of-quarter. I immediately drove off to my bank to get the loan going. No loan since I didn't have a VIN, but I still needed the money for the car, so I sold some stock, and was ready to transfer the cash to my bank account by Friday, so I could write a check for the car.

Came home, checked here on the TMC forums, and found out that several thousand people had gotten the SAME text blast. We were all trying to figure out what was going on, then reports came that hundreds of people were picking up cars at the Fremont factory. Ultimately, we figured out that Tesla sent out a text blast to those with orders to see if they could shift as many cars in the final days of the quarter, they didn't actually have my car waiting in Boston.

So, now what to do with the $50k in cash I had in my investment account? I bought 200 shares of Tesla at $265 in the last 15secs of the trading day on Friday. That was also the week Elon got sued by the SEC over that tweet about selling at $415 to the Saudis. The stock had been falling on Thurs and Friday. I figure Elon would settle over the weekend, and it would bounce back.

Yep, Elon settled on Saturday, and I sold at the open on Monday, $315. Yay, owned the stock for less than a trading minute and made $10k on my car money! Woohoo! Elon's crazy, but sometimes it works to our advantage. And, Tesla has been pushing cars out every quarter-end.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla sells everything not bolted to the floor at the end of every quarter and has done so for at least 6 years now.

New design, or not.... When a lot of people can't afford Teslas... and those that want one and can afford one, already bought one... Combined with the fact Tesla is learning to make more cars efficiently... and more of them.... while at the same time, the need for Tesla sell everything at the end of each quarter including the kitchen sink... hummmm...

"Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object"?

There will be no new design with Project Highland, just a new hardware/sensor suite (HW4, HD radar, 5 megapixel cameras, etc), wider use of structural HVB, perhaps some rear/front motor changes along the lines of S Plaid and perhaps another headlight revision and infotainment and manufacturing changes (along with a generous helping of cost cutting measures).

Just as with the S/X, Tesla will more than likely continue to produce 3/Y for another 5 years, looking almost exactly as their prototypes, changing only inside the shell.

Will we ever see a new/proper 2nd gen S, X, E/3, Y, or new models? Will Tesla still be relevant on 5-10 years time? Will people still buy their products at volume? Time will tell.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC