TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No wifi while driving in v8.0

Discussion in 'Model S' started by emir-t, Oct 12, 2016.

1. emir-t

emir-t Member

Hello;

We're from Turkey and because we're not an official market yet we have to rely on hotspots for connectivity in our cars. If it wasn't enough to have connectivity with 3G usb dongles or phone hotspots only when the car is on, a friend reports not being able to use during Drive or Reverse. He says the cars instantaneously shows LTE sign but then drops off.

Can anyone else confirm this is a v 8.0 thing? There were reports of Model S hacking over wifi a few weeks ago, are they cancelling wifi when in gear as an additional layer of safety you reckon?

Thanks

2. trond.strom

trond.strom Member

I think it is confirmed no WIFI while driving so using 3G/4G hotspots to feed your car data is no longer an option. I hope they reverse this change before Norway turns off 3G in 2020

3. emir-t

emir-t Member

Weird. I didn't write anything at the tesla forums, ever.

4. silverp85+

silverp85+ Member

this is not you?

upload_2016-10-12_9-6-17.png

5. emir-t

emir-t Member

Haha no but I presume that's the friend who asked me. (we have the same name)

6. silverp85+

silverp85+ Member

ok I think I understand what you're saying now. your car is no longer connecting to your phone while driving? The car instantly switches to LTE and then drops off without reconnecting to your phone? am I correct? if so, I would contact service, I doubt this is normal

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  7. edisli

edisli Member

This is the reply I got from Service:

You have the option of bringing your vehicle to a Tesla Service Center and having a 3rd party, non Tesla, SIM card supplied by fitted to the car if you wish. If interested, we can forward your request to the Service Center of your choice. See attachment.

I will also forward your feature request for the WiFi to not switch off while driving but we are unable to guarantee that it will be implemented any time soon.

Please read the waiver carefully as your vehicle is in an unsupported country and most issues arising from using such a 3rd party SIM card will probably not be supported.

We hope for your understanding.

Remaining at your disposal.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. emir-t

emir-t Member

Service confirmed that is v 8.0 thing just then. I think it is an additional layer of safety agains wifi hacks.

9. silverp85+

silverp85+ Member

I see, so it protects from hackers accessing your car through your phone's wifi.

The closes service center is in Austria... sorry dude. I guess you can still play music through Bluetooth or USB

10. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

But only while you are driving. Not sure how useful that would be if they get you to stop and put the car in park (say at like a SuperCharger) then your car will still merrily connect to the rogue AP.

11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I don't think it is safety related, it is more so streaming music and such works as you pull away from your home instead of trying to maintain the WiFi connection as you drive away. But it should be optional.

I think @Ingineer has said that there is some support in the software to flag certain WiFi profiles so they would connect while driving, but it isn't exposed yet.

• Like x 1
  12. silverp85+

silverp85+ Member

Obviously the Tesla software is looking at the location profile and refusing connection.
    Can you fool the software by using PIA software on your phone?

13. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

This is a step backwards I feel. It has nothing to do with security. This has everything to do with tesla being able to charge more money for fitting in a SIM card once your tesla provided internet expires, which conveniently is right after your warranty ends.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. edisli

edisli Member

Another reply from Tesla:

We are looking into the wifi setting when putting to car in to D, whether it can be changed or not.

Like my colleague mentioned you are located in a non-core market so to bring the vehicle to a Service Center in your situation it would mean you have to bring the car to Service Center Linz Austria.

15. green1

green1 Active Member

#15 green1, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Isn't it great how Tesla does "different" and won't let a third party shop do something as simple as swap a sim card?
    In no other car on the planet would something as simple as this require taking your car to another country.

New business model, break things in firmware updates, and then charge owners money for the work around they didn't need before.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  16. emir-t

emir-t Member

It would be a-ma-zing if they could come up with a way to swap sim cards like you would in an iPhone.

I wish someone could develop a DIY guide for this.

17. edisli

edisli Member

Someone posted some videos on Youtube but it seems that the simcard is embedded to the motherboard and it is pretty risky to try to reach those places on your own

18. pers1

pers1 Member

My new facelift 75D's 4G(LTE) stoped working on the last version of 7.1, but thanks to being able to use wifi hotspot from my iphone I could use navigation and streaming. But when 8.0 arrived wifi only workes when parked.

By disabling wifi on the move Tesla basically took I way a important safty feature when 3G/4G LTE suffers from bad reception or poor network coverage from their telecome partner. We drive in different parts of Norway my wife has full reception and the Tesla and I have basically non. And nav and streaming at worst stopes working. So beeing able to hotspot from my wife's iphone is essential.

I've even bougt a 4G+ wirles router from the same telecom company my wifi uses to always be certain that my Tesla had the best connection.

After 8.0 this is the NAV screen I get once I set my Model S in Drive

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  19. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

I've always wondered if my car would last longer enough to see the decommission of 3G in the US, at which point I would start doing WiFi tether all the time.. or so I thought.

20. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

This is an unfortunate change. I've used my Verizon hotspot on a few occasions when the ATT coverage in the car was poor or non exisistant.