Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No wifi while driving in v8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrote to [email protected] and explained this is very annoying. It seems that whenever the car is in "P", wi-fi is allowed. Switching to "D" disables wi-fi, even though the User Interface still allows you to scan for wi-fi networks and attempt to connect to them. ServiceHelpEU said this was a "security feature" in version 8.0, but would log a report with engineering to have it reverted / fixed.

They encouraged me to tell you to e-mail them and let them know you experience the same thing.

Yeah, I immediately wrote back to ask where in the "security" aspect is. To their defense, they did log a report for the purpose of reverting/fixing (unless that's a default reply, I guess many companies tell users "hopefully it can be changed in the future" knowing that it might never be).

Yeah, I immediately wrote back to ask where in the "security" aspect is. To their defense, they did log a report for the purpose of reverting/fixing (unless that's a default reply, I guess many companies tell users "hopefully it can be changed in the future" knowing that it might never be).
I have never seen any indication that any of these form of "requests" have ever been taken seriously by the people actually capable of changing anything.

I suspect the real "security" is the "security" of their revenue stream once they start charging for data. It also sucks that if you pay for data on your own SIM card in the car, you STILL can't tether your phone to it, the obvious solution is a wifi hotspot for both you and the car, except Tesla is now blocking that to stop you from having that ability.

You can always have the SIM card swapped with another one you own, so I don't think that's it.

But it sucks when it comes to speed and coverage. I used my hotspot to get 4G speeds and better coverage in various places. No longer possible. But Tesla is happy to upgrade the cars 3G to 4G for USD 700.

I really think this is an issue where Tesla thought they were helping. Some people have complained about Google map updates and streaming music having problems as they pull away from home when WiFi goes out of range. Tesla solved that problem by disconnecting from WiFi when you put it in drive. They just didn't really think about the people that need/want to use WiFi all the time.

Though Ingineer has said there is a flag in the WiFi profiles that can be set to allow it to be used while in drive, but it appears that it isn't currently exposed so you can turn it on. Hopefully they just expose that in a future update so that people can decide if they want their car to try to stay connected to each profile when it is put in drive.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I thought the recent exploit was achieved through a MITM attack? The security researchers used a compromised hotspot to gain access to the car?

If that's correct, then disabling wifi in drive is a security feature, and one that I'm happy has been introduced.

Reactions: Spidy
Is this confirmed everywhere, in all countries ? Or just in Europe like some were reported ?

I was driving around today, and my car was tethered on wifi to my hotspot. My car is on 2.36.108. I was streaming music with no problems driving around tethered to my hotspot.

If this is the reason, they should have the option to join specific hot spots when in drive.
How do you ensure the "specific" hotspot isn't a spoofed one? I think this is probably just temporary measure until they fix the core issue (a completely outdated browser). Elon recently tweeted that the browser will be updated soon and the OS upgraded to Linux 4.4, so probably after then would this return to normal.

This is wonderful news.

This could possibly be the single greatest security fix tesla could implement, wifi is horribly insecure.

Im sure the recent vulnerability discovered by keen illustrated to tesla just how vulnerable wifi can be.

even if every security vulnerability was patched leaving wifi enabled is the same as leaving the door open for when new vulnerabilities are found, turning it off closes that door.

wifi leaks personal information, capable of being used for tracking purposes and it's a gateway for malicious access and control.

The wifi hack thing was fixed before 8.0. Don't you remember when lots of people suddenly received an update and everybody thought it was 8.0 and it wasn't?

"
The automaker quickly responded by patching the two vulnerabilities in the Linux operating system and the web browser with an over-the-air- update, but they also went a step further.

Tesla added code signing, which consists of digitally signing the code with a cryptographic key only Tesla possesses, in order to only allow its own software to be installed on the system. Tesla CTO JB Straubel told Greenberg:
"

From here:
Tesla releases more details on the Chinese hack and the subsequent fix

How do you ensure the "specific" hotspot isn't a spoofed one? I think this is probably just temporary measure until they fix the core issue (a completely outdated browser). Elon recently tweeted that the browser will be updated soon and the OS upgraded to Linux 4.4, so probably after then would this return to normal.

I was thinking that ones own hotspot wouldn't have a publicly known password. So spoofing wouldn't be simple. The problem is the service center ones (and probably any that don't have passwords, like attwifi)

The wifi hack thing was fixed before 8.0. Don't you remember when lots of people suddenly received an update and everybody thought it was 8.0 and it wasn't?

"
The automaker quickly responded by patching the two vulnerabilities in the Linux operating system and the web browser with an over-the-air- update, but they also went a step further.

Tesla added code signing, which consists of digitally signing the code with a cryptographic key only Tesla possesses, in order to only allow its own software to be installed on the system. Tesla CTO JB Straubel told Greenberg:
"

From here:
Tesla releases more details on the Chinese hack and the subsequent fix
That specific vulnerability was fixed, but there's probably many still undiscovered vulnerabilities in the browser given how outdated it is. This measure completely prevents the attack vector (can no longer control car remotely via wifi when it is moving, which was the most important distinction in what the Chinese hack accomplished vs other hacks).

I don't think this has anything to do with security. This looks like a ploy by Tesla to force owners to use its LTE service rather than tether their phones and use their own. Just wait, the next step will be Tesla charging for network connectivity, since they already prevented everyone from using their own network provider. I wouldn't put it past Tesla to be thinking along these terms as it aligns itself with profitability. Just wait, the nickel-and-diming has only just begun!

I guess time will tell, AmpedRealtor.
Whatever Tesla's intent, turning off WiFi when driving *is* a security improvement. I'm glad they've done it, although I understand it means people can't tether their cars to another LTE service. brkaus' suggestion of allowing users to select specific secured wifi connections to access in drive seems like a good one to me. Who knows, maybe Tesla will do that.

• Disagree
Reactions: green1