Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No wifi while driving in v8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if I connect to wifi while in P then it stays connected all the time. after I leave the car , later the wifi is disconnected , meaning no updates etc. therefore I think it is a bug , not a feature:) furthermore this issue didn't appear right after v8.0 but few days later! I noticed that after opening the door the dash reboots ! sure - i did reboots zilion times :(

Let me update you.

I received mail from ServiceHelpEU, telling to do this reset:

Hold the brake while doing this. Hold the 2 scrolling wheels as before, when the touch screen goes blank, you shortly let go of the scrolling wheels and then reapply again. Hold them pressed until you see the tesla logo. You can now let go of scrolling wheels and brake.

which I did, and now , everything is ok, i.e. I connect to my mobile router or iPhone's personal hotspot, and the wifi is ok while driving, sleeping etc. I can again do summon, preheat, teslalog, music, navigation, all fine, all ok like before

what I did not tested is to select different wifi while driving... will let you know

• Love
Reactions: Duke-U and ATC@LWSK
I verified this with European service - the wifi is disconnected as soon as the car goes into "D", and it looks like the same behaviour in reverse. All of this really sucks, as I can not use summon to pull my car out of it's parking space, which is in an underground garage with absolutely no cellular connectivity (I did install an AP).
So, which I try to summon my MS rolls forward a few cm, then stops as the wifi connection is dropped. Definitely a feature subtract....

Unfortunately this did not work for me :-(

I did as described. Then I connected to my wifi (set it up as new connection) - worked as usual. Then put car in Drive and it instantly disconnects from wifi.

Then I tried again, after having added the wifi connection. But same result, unfortunately.

How long time should you release the two scroll wheels, after the screen goes black? I did it for like 1-2 seconds.

Let me update you.

I received mail from ServiceHelpEU, telling to do this reset:

Hold the brake while doing this. Hold the 2 scrolling wheels as before, when the touch screen goes blank, you shortly let go of the scrolling wheels and then reapply again. Hold them pressed until you see the tesla logo. You can now let go of scrolling wheels and brake.

which I did, and now , everything is ok, i.e. I connect to my mobile router or iPhone's personal hotspot, and the wifi is ok while driving, sleeping etc. I can again do summon, preheat, teslalog, music, navigation, all fine, all ok like before

what I did not tested is to select different wifi while driving... will let you know

I've had 8.0 for a over a month. I wish WiFi would disconnect like it used to back in 6.x days when I shift to "D", but it doesn't. The end result is that my car loses connectivity after I leave the house until some time later when it finally realizes that WiFi is no longer available. What makes it worse is my WiFi AP is stronger than the WiFi on the car, so there is an area as I drive down the street where the signal strength shows ok but no packets make it from the car to the AP. Now, with 8.0 the top bar, including wifi/lte status, disappears so I don't even know when I should finally press refresh on the browser for waze to connect via LTE. I have to keep to tapping the screen to see if WiFi has finally disconnected.

Unfortunately this did not work for me :-(

I did as described. Then I connected to my wifi (set it up as new connection) - worked as usual. Then put car in Drive and it instantly disconnects from wifi.

Then I tried again, after having added the wifi connection. But same result, unfortunately.

How long time should you release the two scroll wheels, after the screen goes black? I did it for like 1-2 seconds.
Release-Press, seems like 1 second

I am confused, does that mean the car cannot access the net while driving? or that the car does not OFFER internet (Wifi) while driving? if the the second, then that is ok, for one, I just use my phone (if I am not DRIVING) and frankly passenger for the time can use 4g. plus no hackers while I am moving.

I am confused, does that mean the car cannot access the net while driving? or that the car does not OFFER internet (Wifi) while driving? if the the second, then that is ok, for one, I just use my phone (if I am not DRIVING) and frankly passenger for the time can use 4g. plus no hackers while I am moving.
The car has never provided WiFi service; it only connects to WiFi networks. This thread is about the car reportedly dropping its WiFi connection to the internet (and switching to 3G or LTE) when shifting into Drive. I'm not on 8.0 so I can't comment about that.

OH, so it would sporadically jump between wifi? I mean sounds annoying at the least for me. because i do not know where you all drive but here in Ohio the free way rarely has any wifi signal lol if any at all they are usually secured networks lol

OH, so it would sporadically jump between wifi? I mean sounds annoying at the least for me. because i do not know where you all drive but here in Ohio the free way rarely has any wifi signal lol if any at all they are usually secured networks lol
It's mainly a problem with people who rely on a mobile hotspot to keep data connectivity (rather than Tesla's built in 3G/4G).

I use an lte hotspot in my car and it still works while I'm driving (2.40.21).

That means you likely had upgrade to one of the 7.1 versions that had the new feature to disconnect from WiFi when shifting out of park and that you had reconnected which set the "IsTether" flag on that WiFi connection profile to on. And the 8.0 upgrade didn't clear that flag.

So while it works for you, it won't work for anyone that upgraded directly from an older version of 7.x version. (Until Tesla fixes the bug in 8.0.)

Maybe people should demand that Tesla downgrade them to the most current 7.1 so that they can get their WiFi profile option set correctly and then they could upgrade again. (Maybe that would light a fire under them to get the bug fixed.)

This could possibly be the single greatest security fix tesla could implement, wifi is horribly insecure.

Not true... WiFi can be secure if it is designed to be. turning on the right level of authentication and using the right encryption can make it as secure as you want.

Im sure the recent vulnerability discovered by keen illustrated to tesla just how vulnerable wifi can be.

Hopefully it illustrates how important proper security design and implementation is... WiFi just happened to be the path that they used to get in, and one that Tesla left open... but this isn't the fault of WiFi, it is the fault of Tesla's security people in allowing access to critical components via that path.

even if every security vulnerability was patched leaving wifi enabled is the same as leaving the door open for when new vulnerabilities are found, turning it off closes that door.

Nope, not necessarily... though it does help by closing the door, leaving it on and securing things better would do as well.

wifi leaks personal information, capable of being used for tracking purposes and it's a gateway for malicious access and control.

Again, not necessarily. Sure, it can, if not handled correctly. but if done correctly, with encryption, authentication, and some intelligence, it can be a very secure transport medium.

In the end, WiFi is simply a means of communications. Yes, cutting off a means of accessing the car when driving is better security than leaving it there... the same way that turning off your cell phone is better security than leaving it on. Tesla (and EVERYONE out there who makes a thing that connects to the internet) needs to understand that they now need to consider security. And from my reading of their actions after the Keen attack they are paying more attention to that.

I am not saying that WiFi should immediately be turned back on, possibly they found another vulnerability and this is a short term protective measure, possibly they found that their architecture could not be isolated correctly from the WiFi system... but I think they do need to figure it out and re-enable it. Turning off WiFi is like unplugging your computer and putting it in a box after it was hacked. Yup, it wont get hacked again, but it's not very useful either. and we cant blame WiFi for that... it's your fault for not securing your systems correctly.

Not true... WiFi can be secure if it is designed to be. turning on the right level of authentication and using the right encryption can make it as secure as you want.

Hopefully it illustrates how important proper security design and implementation is... WiFi just happened to be the path that they used to get in, and one that Tesla left open... but this isn't the fault of WiFi, it is the fault of Tesla's security people in allowing access to critical components via that path.

Nope, not necessarily... though it does help by closing the door, leaving it on and securing things better would do as well.

Again, not necessarily. Sure, it can, if not handled correctly. but if done correctly, with encryption, authentication, and some intelligence, it can be a very secure transport medium.

In the end, WiFi is simply a means of communications. Yes, cutting off a means of accessing the car when driving is better security than leaving it there... the same way that turning off your cell phone is better security than leaving it on. Tesla (and EVERYONE out there who makes a thing that connects to the internet) needs to understand that they now need to consider security. And from my reading of their actions after the Keen attack they are paying more attention to that.

I am not saying that WiFi should immediately be turned back on, possibly they found another vulnerability and this is a short term protective measure, possibly they found that their architecture could not be isolated correctly from the WiFi system... but I think they do need to figure it out and re-enable it. Turning off WiFi is like unplugging your computer and putting it in a box after it was hacked. Yup, it wont get hacked again, but it's not very useful either. and we cant blame WiFi for that... it's your fault for not securing your systems correctly.

Wi-Fi is fundamentally flawed , most script kiddies can mitm virtually any wifi on the market today.

I highly doubt tesla has implemented something other than standard protocols (none of which are secure). The safest action is to turn it off rather than trying to invent a new standard.

Their VPN does a lot to protect sensitive operations but it's not perfect.

I'd even go so far as to argue leaving cellular enabled will eventually become an issue with the increase in consumer grade stingray devices becoming more readily available.

Keen has already proven a tesla (atleast hardware 1) can be controlled remotely if access is achieved. I can't speak to hardware 2.0 perhaps they've separated systems better this time but the possibility exists is access is achieved

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: green1 and MP3Mike
I have a Verizon Mifi (work provided unlimited data) and have confirmed that my Wifi cuts out when shifting into Drive. I tried reconnecting to the Mifi while the car was in motion and it prompted me for the WPA2 key again, which I keyed in properly and it looked like it was trying to connect, but just ended up failing. I really hope this gets fixed along with some other things in the next release of the software. Thanks to everyone who submitted info on this, it really helped my frustrations!