TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Noise on Slight Release of Brake with Creep On

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by iffatall, Feb 26, 2014.

1. iffatall

iffatall Member

I drive with creep mode ON.

After coming to a complete stop as a result of applying brakes, when I start to release the brakes slightly, I hear a friction noise that feels like the wheels are just starting to slip through the brake friction. I can even feel the faint vibration from the friction. Is this normal?

2. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Yep, though it's the same thing I've felt/heard with every automatic transmission I've driven as well.

3. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

I've heard that sound. My best guess is that it really is the brake discs starting to slip through the pads. If the surface of the discs isn't perfectly smooth, which it often isn't due to little rust spots or what-have-you that are normal, then you get a bit of noise.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Exactly. The engine is just pulling through the light resistance, same as in an ICE automatic transmission. The Model S is ultra-quiet at such low speeds so perhaps it's more noticeable depending on what cars a person has driven before.

5. iffatall

iffatall Member

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. That gives me some relief. I had no idea as this is my first car, and I have not had a lot of driving experience before.

6. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Model S is your first car? Awesome, congrats!

7. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Talk about being spoiled for life :)

Congratulations iffatall!

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yes, congratulations! Spoiled!

I'm still a firm believer that a first car should be something like a '74 Dodge Colt or an '85 'vette -- no, not that type... CHE-vette. Bumblebee yellow Chevette with black stripe.

For my kids, their crappy first car will be a used Prius, I think.

You have to learn to drive a complete pile of crap so that you can appreciate the cars you have later. :)

9. iffatall

iffatall Member

Thanks :rolleyes:... I got the car four months into my first job. It was not an impulse buy though... had been planning for over a year for it, while in grad school. Had to spend all my past (and future) savings :tongue:.

I know, I have been thinking the same. I'd always been afraid I would never truly appreciate the car.

10. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Rent a Toyota Yaris for a week, that'll be penance enough :tongue:

11. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

+1. Nissan Versa also works as a wake-up call.