Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise Reduction Kits - Yes or No

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

These noise reduction kits, that apparently help with wind noise for the Model 3 any good, or are they pants?
I've got the door kit. Didn't notice any noise reduction.

Does keep the door sills cleaner though and closing the doors sounds slightly more solid. To be fair, the only noise I can hear comes from above the drivers window next to the B pillar.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I fitted the band around the front roof panel. We had lived with the car for best part of a year before fitting as we were due a roof panel replacement or two so wanted to wait until after.

I've done a couple of extended fast road drives since fitting and think the cabin noise is quieter - the cabin noise is now more isolated, to areas around the doors. Previously, it was coming from more areas.

However, the exact reason is difficult to determine. As well as the band being fitted around the front roof glass panel, we have, over a period of a few minimal use months, had replaced the windscreen and both roof glass panels (all much better alignment), both front door seals replaced and the front drivers door window adjusted. The door seals and adjustment seem to have had minimal. if any effect - still got a wind whistle under certain conditions which ironically wasn't there until a trip to service centre to work on headlining problem,

So hard to say what, if any level of improvement by fitting the band made, other than to say that the band perfectly fills the gap around the front roof glass panel so that panel is now totally flush with its surroundings, and it is difficult to see how that cannot have reduced wind noise compared with the previous several mm gap all around. At a cost of around £15, and a relatively easy 5 minute 2 person fit (one to fit, one to stop it pinging back out), it wasn't a big deal if it didn't work. As for reports of it sliding under the glass and digging into the glass seal, ours has slid slightly under one corner of the glass (under minimal tension) so I asked a ranger on their visit if he thought it was a problem and he categorically said no as it was exactly what the roof bar mounts would do.

Last edited:
I seem to be the only one who doesn't notice wind noise.
It is road noise from the tyres/body of the car that is seriously intrusive and I doubt much can be done about that.

Different road surfaces make a huge difference to the noise in the car but as for wind noise I don't notice it. Maybe I'm just lucky along with well fitted panels and doors that are actually aligned.

I fitted the AO roof rubber kit, for about 5 minutes, until I realised that of its own accord it shifted underneath the glass and was digging in to the seal underneath on one of the corners. Didn’t do any damage but suspected it might if I left it like it. Took it straight off after that.

Did some more reading after that and came across this:
Possible roof damage from “wind reduction kit?” : TeslaModel3

So, it’s been in the box ever since.

I had it confirmed by ranger who inspected mine that this was not a problem. There is a lot of space under that area apparently, to the point of him saying that its just doing exactly what the roof bars have to do to fit in that gap. The only issue is that under certain weather conditions, the rubber seal may be reluctant to return, but its only temporary and will return to normal shape after a while. The seal is actually part of the glass panel and often gets misshaped as part of transport. So no different to that. If it was unevenly fitted, it may tug a bit more, but if fitted properly, tension along each edge should be minimal. But I think even then, you would be hard pushed to start damaging the sealant.

The other biggest issue of it not being fitted properly (ie unevenly and not pushed flush, maybe due to a tight fit if glass misaligned) and it pinging out when travelling at speed.

Last edited:
Compared to my old car a Skoda Octavia the M3 is whisper quiet, the only car I have been in that is quieter is an BMW 318i but I also haven’t been in every car ever made. I would be tempted to do the double pain glass if its a straight swap and not mad expensive but have a feeling they will be a bit like the funk hooks and hard to get off tesla as everyone wants them. Plus can pop a bit more sound deadening in the door whilst I’m at it.

I seem to be the only one who doesn't notice wind noise.

I also don't have any noticeable wind noise at legal speeds. I would comment however that during ... shall we say, "performance testing" ... things changed and there was indeed loud wind noise at "license losing" speeds. Clearly this was done on a private road :rolleyes:. Since I don't expect to be routinely blasting down the motorway at 100mph+ it's not an issue for me.