TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Non-fob car wash procedure?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by RubberToe, Aug 6, 2017.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

So no fob means no fob left in car to keep it unlocked. If you have the "walk away lock" setting turned on, and your phone is the key, the car will lock when you walk away. Assume you don't leave your phone in the car. The only other way to get in is the key card swipe. So you leave the key card with the guy who takes your car, or you leave the car unlocked and it runs fine without your phone or key card being in the vehicle?

RT

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I assume you need to leave phone in car so they can drive it out of wash, etc.? Eww.

Not sure this was a thought-of case!

• Helpful x 1
  3. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

#3 RubberToe, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    If the credit card key can open the door, it must be able to allow the car to drive too. So maybe you just leave the credit card key in the vehicle.

RT

P.S. Of course I will be hand washing the Model 3 when I get it, at least until it becomes the not most important thing in my life. Oops, hope @MrsRubbertoe isn't watching this thread :oops:

• Funny x 2
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

We have seen the card left in the cupholder, so perhaps that's the use case for tow-through car washes. Hope the guy on the far end knows how to 'start' a Tesla! (I forgot about the cupholder case for a second!)

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yes, the key card in the cupholder allows the car to run...

6. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

You'd have to leave the card with the attendant. Tapping it between the cup holders lets you start and drive it. I assume you can probably program it so the key card only operates in some sort of valet mode so they can't open the glove box, trunk, frunk, and do other things.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Can you just leave the car on and in neutral? Don’t need to worry about harmful emissions in an enclosed space like with an ICE. I‘m pretty sure in the Model S/X once the car is on you can take the fob out and still drive it.

8. electracity

electracity Active Member

"Walk away lock" would not lock with the keycard on the center console.

That said, the car is different enough that I would not bring it to a machine car wash that is attendant operated for a year or two.

9. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

Yes, I'm interested how well the paint is going to hold up considering M3 owners might be more likely to run through car washes than to use Cquartz and the two-bucket method.

Hopeful we don't end up seeing a bunch of swirly sctatchy M3s out there.

10. az erik

az erik Member

I'll use the 22ple I have from my Porsche I never got around to using.
    Was thinking of a wrap but matte wrap and glossy roof... na.