Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-freeway AP speed restriction returns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After being unrestricted on secondary roads for roughly a year, I encountered the 5 mph over-limit AP speed restriction this morning where US50 in Virginia narrows from a divided four-lane section to a two-lane road. I have an AP1 car updated most recently to 2018.12 on 3/28. I don't use AP on that road every day, but I'm pretty sure it was unrestricted a few days ago, so the change is not specifically due to 2018.12. Perhaps it is related to the new maps, or perhaps it is a reaction to the crash in California. I almost never use navigation, so I'm not sure whether I've received the maps download. Regardless, you need limit +8 to avoid backing up a line of cars behind you on that road, so limit +5 renders AP useless there. Very disappointing.

That's a broad statement saying the speed restriction returns -- it's always been there (or at least has been since 7.1). If I read your post correctly, you are suggesting that the specific road segment you drive on previously was unrestricted but now is.

This is likely that something in the map data has reclassified the road as more restrictive. Interestingly, this morning I noticed the same thing. There is a section of divided, but non-limited access, highway that I take to work. I received 2018.12 over the weekend. Before the update, this segment was unrestricted; now it is restricted. I imagine whatever database is providing these road segment classifications has recently been updated.

That's a broad statement saying the speed restriction returns -- it's always been there (or at least has been since 7.1). If I read your post correctly, you are suggesting that the specific road segment you drive on previously was unrestricted but now is.

This is likely that something in the map data has reclassified the road as more restrictive. Interestingly, this morning I noticed the same thing. There is a section of divided, but non-limited access, highway that I take to work. I received 2018.12 over the weekend. Before the update, this segment was unrestricted; now it is restricted. I imagine whatever database is providing these road segment classifications has recently been updated.
What I'm reporting to the group is neither more nor less than that the one segment of two-lane road where I often use AP (the others being too hilly or too narrow) has reinstated the speed restriction after a long period without it. And when the restriction went away roughly a year ago I did test AP on some of the less suitable roads around here and found the speed restriction had gone away on those too. Having encountered the restriction this morning I have not yet done a more comprehensive test to see whether these other less-suitable secondary roads are now restricted. But whether they are or not, I think it is a significant datapoint that after roughly a year, the restriction is returning on at least one significant two-lane road. So I posted to see whether others have recently had the same experience, and I see from the two quick replies (including yours) that people have, which is interesting. My inference is that if the change is due to either the new maps being rolled out, or to a policy change post crash, then AP users are likely to see a significant re-restriction of two-lane roads, which is a significant change that renders AP fairly useless on these roads: a disappointment. So I would love to hear whether even more people are now having the same experience as that of the three of us who have posted.

Last edited:
After being unrestricted on secondary roads for roughly a year, I encountered the 5 mph over-limit AP speed restriction this morning where US50 in Virginia narrows from a divided four-lane section to a two-lane road. I have an AP1 car updated most recently to 2018.12 on 3/28. I don't use AP on that road every day, but I'm pretty sure it was unrestricted a few days ago, so the change is not specifically due to 2018.12. Perhaps it is related to the new maps, or perhaps it is a reaction to the crash in California. I almost never use navigation, so I'm not sure whether I've received the maps download. Regardless, you need limit +8 to avoid backing up a line of cars behind you on that road, so limit +5 renders AP useless there. Very disappointing.
Same for me in MD. Road that never used to be AP speed restricted (e.g. Darnestown Rd.) now very much are.

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
I have a brand new Tesla MS 100D delivered Jan 2018. Prior to that a 2017 MS 100D delivered early 2017. I've always consistently experienced this AP speed restriction with both cars on a select couple of surface roads in South Florida. So nothing has changed for me. So I suspect you are correct in assuming it's due to refreshed data in the new maps.

P.S. I am on 2018.12 but do not have the new maps yet. If anything changes when I get the new maps, I'll let you know.

I think this just changed today. On divided roads that I used to be able set a speed of 10 over I am now restricted to 5 over.
The system used to not display speed limit signs on the road I live on. Today it flashed up a 35 MPH, but the Road is 45 MPH. I have been on 2018.10.4 for a few weeks now and this is new behavior today. Perhaps the Tile maps updated?

Here too. New maps notice showed up just after a drive on a road that has been reclassified a few times already and today was restricted temporarily but only in short stretches—seemed more confused or slow to adust than anything. Hope it settles down or random sudden slowdowns will cause problems.

The spline data is being updated and integrated into AP. This contains the +5 limitation and sometimes the length of the spline is long, sometimes it very short. That's why on some roads you'll see it go from restricted to unrestricted and back based seemingly on irrelevant areas. Its all in Tesla's backend map.

Tesla Autopilot maps

I also noticed this change for the first time today. A stretch of road that the gps previously showed a speed limit of 55 today displayed 45. The speed limit on that stretch was reduced about 3 years ago. Another stretch of road today displayed the speed limit for the first time. The strange thing is that I have not received an update since 10.4 three weeks ago.

So I noticed same thing today after upgrading to 2018.14.2. I am trying to figure out how suddenly the car is correctly identifying speed limits on roads it either didn’t know a limit or had the wrong speed limit as of yesterday. I am also limited to +5 on AS. Is this new map data or is it finally reading street signs (my 2013 BMW used to read steeet signs pretty well)? I still have the old maps in IC.

FWIW I decided today maybe the +5 is a good thing because I’ll probably never get a ticket at +5 but it is annoying on some stretches where normal flow of traffic is +10.i guess for those areas I’ll just use TACC

So I noticed same thing today after upgrading to 2018.14.2. I am trying to figure out how suddenly the car is correctly identifying speed limits on roads it either didn’t know a limit or had the wrong speed limit as of yesterday. I am also limited to +5 on AS. Is this new map data or is it finally reading street signs (my 2013 BMW used to read steeet signs pretty well)? I still have the old maps in IC.

FWIW I decided today maybe the +5 is a good thing because I’ll probably never get a ticket at +5 but it is annoying on some stretches where normal flow of traffic is +10.i guess for those areas I’ll just use TACC

Can't wait to see what happens when level 4/5 is offered (by any manufacturer). Will the manufacturer be responsible for any/all tickets? Will Level 4-5 cars all follow the speed limit? The only question I know the answer to: Will people complain? :)

Reactions: DoctorG
2018.12 5eadc71 (2017 S75D) I noted that on 95 HOV lanes in Virginia now it limits to 5 over except a few places where it drops to 45 MPH (due to not knowing the limit) and some stretches are 35MPH limits which obviously makes the AP unusable for that stretch from Quantico to DC. you get sudden rapid deceleration.