Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-P AWD with White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, this seems like the most obvious explanation. What don't get though is why wheels would require batching. Im not in production manufacturing so my assumptions are worth about as much as a horse's ass but I would have thunk you just put whatever wheels are needed on at the end.
Right? Even if they car gets to the service center, they can just swap out the wheels for whatever is needed. At least that's what i would assume

To me, this seems like the most obvious explanation. What don't get though is why wheels would require batching. Im not in production manufacturing so my assumptions are worth about as much as a horse's ass but I would have thunk you just put whatever wheels are needed on at the end.

Probably because wheels take up significant storage space, and it's easier to stage a bunch of 18" wheels in the production area and work through them before staging a bunch of 19" wheels. Just speculating.

Reactions: rluciano
Anything is possible I guess, but personally I find that fairly implausible. If assumptions are even slightly different, e.g. color batches are switched more than once per day, or one of the things you mentioned isn't part of the batch, then the rotation time would be significantly different.

Also put it this way, 19" wheels are presumably more profitable so if there was no shortage of them one would assume Telsa is smart enough to batch 19" first, not last.

Delay of AWD, white, 19' wheel is most likely to be related Tesla's batch scheduling since we all know that Tesla just produce all Model 3 in batches now, and then match the cars to orders on hands. Not exactly sure how their batch production works, but if we assume they produce 1 config per day, it will take 70 days to rotato all available configurations (RWD: 7 colors x 2 wheels, AWD: 7 colors x 2 wheels x 2 interiror, P3D 7 colors x 2 options (with or without Performance Upgrade) x2 interiors. )

On the bright side, it seems that time from VIN assigned to delivery is very short for Model 3 because of batch productions. I had to wait for 2 months to get my MX after receiving the VIN, since they assigned the VIN before starting the production.

Last edited:
Anything is possible I guess, but personally I find that fairly implausible. If assumptions are even slightly different, e.g. color batches are switched more than once per day, or one of the things you mentioned isn't part of the batch, then the rotation time would be significantly different.

Also put it this way, 19" wheels are presumably more profitable so if there was no shortage of them one would assume Telsa is smart enough to batch 19" first, not last.
I wish this were true. It would mean that my white interior and 19's would be prioritized but alas, here I wait. 2 months in.

Reposting from the other threads...

I got an email about my Model 3 being through production. Asking to confirm Cash/Tradein and more insurance info.

I don't have my VIN yet (asked for it), but will update the spreadsheets when I get it.

Details
AWD
Blue Ext.
White Int.
18" Aero
Reservation: 5/20/18
Config: 6/30/18
Change to white interior: 7/30/18 - Edit URL backdoor
Tried Edit URL backdoor: 8/28/18 - Didn't work
Got Email from Tesla: 8/28/18

Inquired with the guy about Adding EAP prior to delivery, and asked for VIN. No response yet.

Reactions: Data

I got an email about my Model 3 being through production. Asking to confirm Cash/Tradein and more insurance info.

I don't have my VIN yet (asked for it), but will update the spreadsheets when I get it.

Details
AWD
Blue Ext.
White Int.
18" Aero

Inquired with the guy about Adding EAP prior to delivery, and asked for VIN. No response yet.

@halobob That is the third one with that configuration in Omaha that I know of. I was hoping to have mine on Saturday but it's not looking promising :(

Details
AWD
Blue Ext.
White Int.
18" Aero

Just got more info. Arriving in KC 9/14, delivery 7-10 days after.

VIN: 997XX

• Love
Reactions: FalconHeavy

Details
AWD
Blue Ext.
White Int.
18" Aero

Jeeze, hope I see something soon. Same config but I’m forking over for FSD and I’m a day 1 reservation. Edit button gone 2 weeks ago but otherwise radio silence.

Edit: oh yeah and congrats, hope you love it!!

Took delivery today! There was another Model 3 AWD with white interior (Midnight Silver) being delivered at the same time.

model3_noaero.JPG