Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-refundable Order Fee

JATinNH

Jun 15, 2019
Salem, NH
As I was exploring the new gray wheels Tesla introduced today for the M3P, I noticed that the site is no longer requiring a $2,500 deposit to place an order. Rather, there is now a $100 non-refundable order fee. Less clear was whether this was an on-top fee or whether it gets applied to your balance.
upload_2019-10-17_16-18-10.jpeg

OCR1

Jan 28, 2018
Southern California
Ask five different reps at Tesla and you will get five different answers. Eventually someone will figure this out but you would think Tesla could construct a simple sentence clarifying a pretty obvious question here. Does anyone proofread the stuff on Teslas’s website before they publish it?

JATinNH

Jun 15, 2019
Salem, NH
[...]you would think Tesla could construct a simple sentence clarifying a pretty obvious question here.

That’s what I was wondering. I’m suspecting that the fact that they are referring to it as a non-refundable “Fee” and not a non-refundable “Deposit” means it’s an on-top additional charge, the payment of which is NOT credited toward the car purchase. Which means that this is basically another $100 price increase. And most likely, this is only the start of what I’m sure will be a steady increase in this and other fees. Although never popular from the consumer perspective, I see the introduction of these fees as just another evolution of the business model to work toward profitability.

JATinNH

Jun 15, 2019
Salem, NH
I ordered my 3 today and all of my final pricing documents show the $100 coming off the balance due.

I agree with Ssmtsx, I ordered mine today as well and it shows -$100.00 on the pricing Amount Due

Thanks for the info. Not to beat a dead horse, but just confirming that they didn’t add the $100 order fee to the price of your car before crediting you for the payment. Correct?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC