Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla at a supercharger?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this at the Primm, NV supercharger. I understood that only a few SCs around the Northeast worked with non-Teslas. How is this working?

IMG_1224.jpeg

There were a ton of parking spots nearby that were actually closer to all of the amenities than the supercharger stalls. The vast majority of cars in the lot were teslas in supercharger stalls. 90% of all other parking spots were empty.

There were a ton of parking spots nearby that were actually closer to all of the amenities than the supercharger stalls. The vast majority of cars in the lot were teslas in supercharger stalls. 90% of all other parking spots were empty.
Interesting ....
Some kind of retrofit?
Some clever implementation of Tesla tech into otherwise suckish Mitsu's ?

Did you notice an adapter? Is there even one for CHAdeMO ( yet) ?
I did not notice an adaptor, but I was too far away to see. The picture is actually zoomed in a bit. I should have walked over to check it out in detail but it was 116 degrees outside. A group of people did gather at one point, but I didn’t think much of it.

The supercharger was totally full with a 5-10 minute wait and lots of other open spots nearby, so it doesn’t make much sense for him to pull an elaborate ruse for the spot. Could have been a joke, I guess, but I would assume most EV owners would respect the charging etiquette, especially on a crowded holiday weekend.

From looking online, it appears that at least at one point in time, the i-Miev has L1/L2 (AC) charge port on the passenger side (right rear as seen in OP's photo) and the L3 (DCFC) port is on the driver's side. So a Tesla to J1772 adapter could be in use (like a Lectron) but not actually charging.
And for those that are missing the difference.

The Tesla connector supports both AC and DC fast charging. The J-1772 only supports AC charging (which is why there is the CCS combo plug)
The Supercharger ONLY supports DC charging. Just like your home plug only supports AC charging.

It's a difference that few understand, hence this driver's attempt.

The moral of the story?

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR CAR IS ACTUALLY CHARGING AT THE CORRECT RATE BEFORE WALKING AWAY

This guy, if earnest about the charging, evidently didn't.