Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla recommendations for 2nd cheaper EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had any problems with dealing through Carwow?

Bottom line is this. We obtained an offer for a new Zoe through Carwow from a dealer. Went to see the dealer and their demonstrator, and liked the car. Went to order it and the dealer is refusing to honour the offer, and wants another ~£1,500. Just double checked on Carwow, put in the exact same spec and got the same offer price from the same dealer as we had last week, i.e. ~£1,500 less then he's now trying to sell the car to us for.

This smacks as a click bait scam to me, lure in potential customers with false offers, then up the price when they show an interest. Given that the offer through Carwow is an invitation to treat, it's not legally binding, but this still stinks to me, all the same.

Sounds more like an issue with the dealer in question than Carwow. Report them to Carwow and choose the next best on the list.

Good idea. I've contacted the next dealer on the list, whose offer price is exactly the same. They are only about 4 miles further away, so just as easy to deal with.

Just seems a bit of a scam, given that I contacted them via Carwow to arrange to see a similar car they had as a demonstrator (exactly the same spec, except for the colour), drove 30 miles each way to look at it, only to have them up the price by around £1,500 as soon as we agreed to buy the car. The weird thing is that I've just tried another search on Carwow (different PC, using a VPN, different email address) and the same dealer has come back with an offer that is the same as the offer we had last week, around £1,500 less than he's just quoted us.

Sounds like your evidence is solid. If the dealer says to Carow "oh, the price has shifted", you can point to the quote you got via the VPN. They are obviously trying to have their cake and eat it by gaming the free publicity Carwow is giving them at the top of a price comparison list, but welching on the agreed price.

The next dealer on the list of Carwow offers is honouring the offer price with no quibbling at all. Just doing the usual haggle over the trade-in value of my wife's Yaris Hybrid, but not too fussed at they seem to sell like hot cakes for a fair bit more than the WeBuyAnyCar or Motorway price (and both those offers are more than the trade-in offer we've had).

I think the original Carwow offer dealer we contacted was pulling a "bait and switch" on us, TBH. They claimed that there were no cars of the specification we wanted in the UK at the moment, so their "special offer" price on Carwow couldn't be honoured. The dealer we're currently negotiating with has emailed me saying there are several cars in Renault stock in the UK at the moment with the exact spec we want.

I wonder how many people get caught by tricks like this? It's probably legal, but it seems an unethical way to behave. Mind you, ethical behaviour and car dealers are probably often mutually exclusive.

LOL, there must be a bajillion Zoes available in any config you'd ever want. Still, a timely reminder that those car services are great. If one dealer's taking the michael, there's another ready to step in. I hope you tell him you've gone 4 miles down the road.

Nice car too. I really like the Zoe. Think your wife's made a good choice. Now you HAVE to install 3-phase at home :D

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
Services like Carwow definitely do make it difficult for dealers to behave like this, as long as buyers are prepared to just go to the next on the list. I have raised an issue with Carwow, not that I expect they will do much about it.

The new dealer has agreed to increase the trade in offer to match WeBuyAnyCar, which is fine, and we've now paid the deposit, with delivery in a couple of weeks. She's opted for the GT Line spec, with rapid charge, plus a few extras.

I could get 3 phase put in, but I doubt we'll need it. I'm part way through installing a new charge point for her, on a post at the side of the drive where she normally parks, and have just run a length of 6mm² single phase cable out there. Should be more than enough, as she's rarely likely to need more than about 40 kWh charge, and won't need to charge at the same time as I do.

Mind you I'm getting an I-Pace shortly, and that also has three phase charging, so it might make sense to get three phase in at some future date.

I think the original Carwow offer dealer we contacted was pulling a "bait and switch" on us, TBH. They claimed that there were no cars of the specification we wanted in the UK at the moment, so their "special offer" price on Carwow couldn't be honoured. The dealer we're currently negotiating with has emailed me saying there are several cars in Renault stock in the UK at the moment with the exact spec we want.

No problem with AutoEbid for a Smart car; the dealer has honoured the price (subject to manufacturer price change or VAT change) and our Smart is on order for build in Aproil and collection in May.

Some would say with an iPace you'll be doing a lot of charging :D

Nice choice - I suspect somewhere between a Tesla and an iPace lies the perfect car.

I did think long and hard about the poorer efficiency of the I-Pace, but looked back at every trip we've done in the Tesla to try and see what might have been different given the lower real-world range of the I-Pace. It turns out that nothing would have changed at all, other than a bit longer charging overnight.

The I-Pace is completely different to the Model 3, though, so making comparisons between the two isn't really fair. The I-Pace is a bigger car, weighs around 20% more and costs about 60% more (comparing the Model 3 LR AWD with sports wheels to the I-Pace HSE with panoramic roof, and similar features). The main additional option I've gone for is air suspension, really in the hope that it makes a difference when driving some of our pretty rough local lanes.

I did think long and hard about the poorer efficiency of the I-Pace, but looked back at every trip we've done in the Tesla to try and see what might have been different given the lower real-world range of the I-Pace. It turns out that nothing would have changed at all, other than a bit longer charging overnight.

The I-Pace is completely different to the Model 3, though, so making comparisons between the two isn't really fair. The I-Pace is a bigger car, weighs around 20% more and costs about 60% more (comparing the Model 3 LR AWD with sports wheels to the I-Pace HSE with panoramic roof, and similar features). The main additional option I've gone for is air suspension, really in the hope that it makes a difference when driving some of our pretty rough local lanes.

Regardless, I hope you continue to frequent this forum.

Reactions: darkNstormy

Was it not the iPace that has trouble charging away from home? Or was that a software glitch that has been addressed? Gorgeous looking car have to admit, although as you say a different ball park from the 3!

I also hope you stick around to watch the various glitches come and go, and the long wait for FSD....

Thoughts on the new Fiat 500? Seems we would need to wait to get one, but looks like a fairly good choice for a first car.
Looks good, nice range, charge speed not particularly compromised, definitely on our short list. Only thing for us is what its size is really like - have a swift just now and it's just right with 2 boys, could imagine a 500 being a limiting factor in a few years. Looking forward to seeing one in person tho.
Used Model 3 ?

Here in the states they can be had for as little as US$20K
They haven't been around in the UK as long, don't think you can get near that unfortunately.

Looks good, nice range, charge speed not particularly compromised, definitely on our short list. Only thing for us is what its size is really like - have a swift just now and it's just right with 2 boys, could imagine a 500 being a limiting factor in a few years. Looking forward to seeing one in person tho.

They haven't been around in the UK as long, don't think you can get near that unfortunately.
That’s true. All Tesla’s new or used seems more expensive in the uk compared to other countries.