Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal heat wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - technically storm watch does too.

But I can’t imagine any scenario where the IRS is going to audit that on any significant scale.

You haven’t heard about the IRS Shadow Army? They’re going to hack your Powerwalls and wrinkle your W-2’s.

Edit, I don’t actually believe the “IRS Shadow Army” and I expect jjrandorin to delete this post haha.

Another Flex alert day. Hopefully the last for a while. Also Spare the Air day. Cooler temps will be welcome and nice to be working more off the solar/batteries than the grid we’ve had to draw from. We have lots of credits so not a matter of cost here, just would like to go back to helping the grid with exports for others than needing it for our AC.

I dont use cabin overheat protection. My powerwalls are full, and I can turn the AC on and off via app on my phone so that part is covered. Thanks for the reminder though, I appreciate it. Today happens to be my wife and I wedding anniversary (37 years), but we are just sorta hunkered down and about to watch football rather than go out to dinner, etc.
happy belated anniversary 🙌🏼
did you end up being evacuated ? I am assuming no hopefully

Reactions: SMAlset
happy belated anniversary 🙌🏼
did you end up being evacuated ? I am assuming no hopefully

No, we are not evacuated yet, although the area close to me went from "evacuation warning" to "evacuation order". Im about 5 miles from the line of that "evacuation order" currently, and its pretty windy which sucks, but its also starting to rain here, which is awesome. Hoping that the rain comes hard.

No, we are not evacuated yet, although the area close to me went from "evacuation warning" to "evacuation order". Im about 5 miles from the line of that "evacuation order" currently, and its pretty windy which sucks, but its also starting to rain here, which is awesome. Hoping that the rain comes hard.
Well happy belated anniversary as well!

At that distance, I would have my go bags in the car. I certainly hope that the hurricane remnants have more rain than wind, as I have been reading about high wind advisories in the Southland.

Good luck! The Mosquito fire up north went up 6,000 acres in two hours today due to high winds, granted very different terrain.

All the best,

BG

Well happy belated anniversary as well!

At that distance, I would have my go bags in the car. I certainly hope that the hurricane remnants have more rain than wind, as I have been reading about high wind advisories in the Southland.

Good luck! The Mosquito fire up north went up 6,000 acres in two hours today due to high winds, granted very different terrain.

All the best,

BG
I am like 10 or so miles from fire. The air quality is terrible! Outside events are being canceled

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I'm in a Mosquito fire evacuation warning zone bordering a mandatory evacuation zone. Some of the pictures of this fire are pretty incredible.

1662766873870.png

1662766984899.png

1662767071904.png

1662767192682.png

It is threatening the northernmost grove of the Giant Sequoias.

More pictures can be seen on the twitter thread:

This is an unfortunate reality for the past several years here, at this point. Wishing everyone the best with all of this. On my own end, the rains seem to have helped a bit and they have reduced the size of the "Evacuation order" zone and the part closest to me has gone from "order" to "warning" which means that things are trending in the right direction.

@h2ofun @RKCRLR (and anyone else potentially impacted), here is to hoping the best for all.

Reactions: SMAlset and RKCRLR
The CalFire website is pretty good to visualize the areas with current wildfires and the progress made containing. I noticed they added a new Layers visualization to the map, “Structures”, which when turned on shows the proximity of the fire to people’s nearby homes and buildings. You can zoom in to see streets and dwellings in the neighborhood. Sites been a bit slow when tapping on a fire to bring up the fire name and info but sure the site is being heavily accessed.

Wishing everyone best of luck getting through this season and staying safe. Hopefully the State will be moving out of this extreme heat now and giving some relief to our dedicated precious fire teams. People with insurance on their homes might want to video their house and contents and upload to a cloud account in case of the worst happening.

Last edited:
Unfortunately your comments aren't really sarcasm... when I look at the narrative many people are spouting on FB and Nextdoor, a lot of folks (probably stoked by certain conservative media outlets) are blaming rich EV owners and rich solar customers for the power grid issues in California.

They're basically painting the picture that rich people who have Teslas are taking power from the grid at peak time. And if there were zero EVs, then the grid would have been fine. And the solar and folks are taxing the grid, and creating the problems. They're posting pictures of Teslas plugged in at 6pm and saying "look these a-holes ruined the food in my fridge!"

Their conclusion they are drawing is that the Democrats are forcing people to buy EVs by 2035, but are the ones ruining our lives. And of course, some then believe these "rich people Dems" aren't paying their fair share for the damage they're causing to those that do not have EVs or solar.
yeah - There were people on Nextdoor that I told that EV owners can schedule the charge to start at midnight which most would do to take advantage of low rates. They had no clue. My car was plugged in during the day and I was thinking I should unplug it so people didn't think I was using power during the flex alerts.

Reactions: aesculus
The CalFire website is pretty good to visualize the areas with current wildfires and the progress made containing. I noticed they added a new Layers visualization to the map, “Structures”, which when turned on shows the proximity of the fire to people’s nearby homes and buildings. You can zoom in to see streets and dwellings in the neighborhood. Sites been a bit slow when tapping on a fire to bring up the fire name and info but sure the site is being heavily accessed.

Wishing everyone best of luck getting through this season and staying safe. Hopefully the State will be moving out of this extreme heat now and giving some relief to our dedicated precious fire teams. People with insurance on their homes might want to video their house and contents and upload to a cloud account in case of the worst happening.
I use this site. Lots of options for display (simple/advanced, timeframe, etc) so you have to tinker it a bit

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
yeah - There were people on Nextdoor that I told that EV owners can schedule the charge to start at midnight which most would do to take advantage of low rates. They had no clue. My car was plugged in during the day and I was thinking I should unplug it so people didn't think I was using power during the flex alerts.

I think it’s a tossup… I’m on some other EV forums and there are a lot of people using a simple 110v cord. So they charge the moment they get home to have enough juice for their next day commute. This is how many people who do not have EV’s expect to use EV’s if they ever got one, because they don’t want to invest in a EVSE or 14-50.

I use this site. Lots of options for display (simple/advanced, timeframe, etc) so you have to tinker it a bit

The site the-lookout.org has podcasts with very good explanations of what is happening. The site owner has a fire mapping service and is good at explaining how things work.

I watched that site religiously last year and forgot to bookmark it. Was searching for it this year and could not remember the name.
Many Thanks!
Watch yesterday evening's podcast to get a perspective on whether or not the fire may get to Georgetown. This is of specific interest to me since I'm in Garden Valley and need to make decisions on what to do.

Last edited:
It is a pretty intense fire, in a very pretty area.

For those who know it, the Tevis trail (Western States 100 for the runners out there) runs right through it. The Chickenhawk settlement has nearly burned before, but looks to be gone by satellite imagery, as does Michigan Bluff.
More here;
NASA NIRS
You can look at different satellite layers.

Pretty amazing footage here;

Stay safe, always better to get out sooner rather than later.

All the best,

BG

The site the-lookout.org has podcasts with very good explanations of what is happening. The site owner has a fire mapping service and is good at explaining how things work.

If I start trying to dig into this kind of stuff, I am a person who will "worry myself sick". "Know thyself" as it were. I setup alerts and such from calfire, I get the "alerts" style alerts from local authorities (I got evacuation warning notices pushed to my phone etc) but If I start trying to ingest a bunch of information on something like this I will drive myself batty.

Everyone is different, so I just stick to refreshing the cal fire page, getting a bag packed, and making a new video of the inside of my home as my last one was a few years old.

just watched it. Hoping you stay safe!
Watching that podcast helped reduce my fears that the fire would actually reach me and helped guide my evacuation plan for this fire. If I get a mandatory evacuation order it would likely be because the fire crews want to be able to do their job without interference from residents on the roads. Thus moving a lot of stuff out of my home preparing for an evacuation becomes less of a priority. I've moved our camper outside of the warning area so my wife and I can quickly leave in a couple of vehicles with our dog.

Last edited: