Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal heat wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
House is 3800sqft. Two story with 24 panels on south and west sides (8.16kW). AC unit is old 2014 Carrier unit, 5 tons, split between upstairs and downstairs, but still working. We paid for extra insullation in our attic and above garage when house built. Low-E Milguard double pane windows.

Wow, that's a huge house!

Those Carriers have aluminum fins attached to copper tubes on the condenser. Sometimes the dissimilar metals have issues over time with separation.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
So is it a large house, old less efficient air conditioners, older code insulation and windows, or a combination of all the above?

Just seems like 3 powerwalls is a lot of capacity to burn through in one night.

Hope the weather breaks for you soon.
3 Powerwalls is 40ish kWh. We burn 6-7 kWh/hr keeping our 3,100 sq ft house with a 9-year old A/C system down to 80-81 when it is 110 outside. So, 3 Powerwalls would last use 7 hours or so, and we have 2. Cooling eats a lot of power.

We went the opposite and increased the reserve on our Powerwalls up to 60% to ensure we could at least run fans throughout the house if the grid went down.

Last edited:
Reactions: h2ofun
I see that all the time on Nextdoor too. I always tell them that no one charges an EV during Peak rates. I'm not sure they get it. On that subject, we have been EV-less for 2 years but got a new one yesterday. Just finished configuring the charging times
That’s not true, was driving home from Tahoe yesterday and I noticed plenty of Tesla’s charging at superchargers.
The supercharger at the Raleys in Loomis ca was full

I also noticed the weigh station in truckee installed a few ev chargers in their parking lot, and I saw some cars plugged in. I’m assuming they are employee vehicles, so if they are plugged in charging at work, there’s gotta be more people who are plugged in charging at work during the daytime/evening hours.

That’s not true, was driving home from Tahoe yesterday and I noticed plenty of Tesla’s charging at superchargers.

I also noticed the weigh station in truckee installed a few ev chargers in their parking lot, and I saw some cars plugged in. I’m assuming they are employee vehicles, so if they are plugged in charging at work, there’s gotta be more people who are plugged in charging at work during the daytime/evening hours.
I thought those Tesla superchargers had their own fusion reactor.

Ok, so there are some EVs charging on their trip. What % of the million EVs do you think were charging during Peak? What % of those were sending power back to the grid from their Solar at home? At the moment EVs are not the problem

I could see someone going home from Tahoe wanting to charge. And while charging in the afternoon does draw down the grid, the big time we want to discourage charging is evenings when people get home from work and use the A/C, electric stoves and ovens and usage spikes. But there is a limit to what can be done to discourage people from charging at any time. You can raise the rates, but that is about the only demand lever available.

There are 3,515 little piggies that are continuing to give back to the grid. That's 14% of the 25,000 eligible Powerwall sites. There are a few more houses in the "fleet" tonight (3,514 vs 3,464) compared to yesterday, but the discharge rate is lower here at the start at 23,801kW vs 24,711kW. With all of the talk here, I'm surprised that the drop off isn't higher.

I have my reserve set to 30% for now which is up from 5% last night. Somewhat worried about rolling blackouts, but my block isn't in the current list.
im on sce but never offered to opt in to vpp etc ... but 4-9 daily our system uses only batt power and sends all avail solar to grid so feel we are doing all we can until invited to join VPP ... if ever

Last edited:
Aren't they already doing a pilot? At least that is what I got from this thread.
Discussed in the 8/16/22 Electrek article as well so just taking some time to roll out to everyone like @Electrph. I haven’t been paying attention to how long the PG&E/Tesla program was taking to be offered widely. Assume PG&E needed to see the concept actually benefit them in significantly reducing demand and then how to proceed with the reimbursement plan.

Last edited:
I read that VPP is coming to southern Calif very soon.

Im not sure what triggers invitations, but tesla has "invited" me like 4 times already, and I am in SCE territory in southern california. I have said this in a few threads before, but im not interested in the slightest, and frankly am somewhat annoyed they keep sending out invitations via email, text message etc.

My PV doesnt cover my own home usage right now, and running my AC during the day and keeping the house set at 81 is still enough of a drain to not allow my powerwalls to ever reach 100% charge, with house load being > than PV production when the AC is on.

I was listening to KTVU2 this morning and they were discussing last night’s power outages. Love how PG&E says they didn’t have to do any and it was thanks to residents reducing usage when the alert call went out. Well they shut down some 2-3K home owners/businesses in my area without us volunteering (although we turned up our AC once again past 78 with the alert). Their message plays nice to uninformed public I suppose but it was an intentional shutdown on their part all the same as a huge block of the town lost power all at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
I was listening to KTVU2 this morning and they were discussing last night’s power outages. Love how PG&E says they didn’t have to do any and it was thanks to residents reducing usage when the alert call went out. Well they shut down some 2-3K home owners/businesses in my area without us volunteering (although we turned up our AC once again past 78 with the alert). Their message plays nice to uninformed public I suppose but it was an intentional shutdown on their part all the same as a huge block of the town lost power all at the same time.
My understanding was that there were no PSPS events last night, but there were numerous equipment failures. Watching the news apparently transformers fail under high demand in high heat. On Sunday the news showed PG&E crews loading trucks with replacement transformers.

• Informative
Reactions: iPlug and Dayreg

I actually saw some 5000+ alone in some areas (that red triangle). Maybe it was not as bad, what I find it strange that I don't see on the PG&E map, any labeled as a PSPS event (purple marker).

In anticipation of what was eventually announced to become a weeklong period of 100+ heat in our area we knew that our PWs with AC running was not going to be able to even come close to fully recharging with the sun the next day without going out to grid. Expected an outage or two and wanted to maintain reserve for at least basic lights and refrig. We took the precaution to 80% charge our cars at a SC the night before and after the flex alert at a had expired not knowing when we could charge during the week. Cabin overheat takes its toll on mileage and will need to make an 80 mile trip during the week that will also eat into available range. So no charging at home this week.

I couldn’t see being a part of VPP during this particular time. If your area wasn’t as hot and you could contribute back, then that’s different. Unless of course you had a small farm of PWs at your disposal…

Last edited:
Reactions: h2ofun
Im not sure what triggers invitations, but tesla has "invited" me like 4 times already, and I am in SCE territory in southern california. I have said this in a few threads before, but im not interested in the slightest, and frankly am somewhat annoyed they keep sending out invitations via email, text message etc.

My PV doesnt cover my own home usage right now, and running my AC during the day and keeping the house set at 81 is still enough of a drain to not allow my powerwalls to ever reach 100% charge, with house load being > than PV production when the AC is on.
My system is in Self-Powered mode and I am enrolled.

In preparation for the event, the system will start a "Preparing for the event" mode. This will shift from powering the home from the Powerwalls to letting all of the solar production charge the Powerwalls. So, you are running the AC off the grid. As a result, my Powerwalls were at 100% prior to the event. Once you get into the event, my 2 Powerwalls discharged at 9.8 kW until they hit my set reserve amount.

---
Edit. Here is a photo of my system currently in "Preparing for the event" mode. Notice the solar power going straight to Powerwalls.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.PNG
    IMG_0078.PNG
    398.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: