Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NorCal: Who uses the I-680 and I-580 Express Lanes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few threads about where Fastrak works, but I don't see a definitive answer.

I'm constantly getting charged for using I-580 express lane even though I have Fastrak Flex set properly at "3". It's mad annoying. What's the proper placement where the Fastrak will be read all the time? I have a Sept 2016 MS.

i just used a few of the Fastrak express lanes on 680 and 580 for the first time the other day with my Fastrak Flex set at "3" and I don't see any charges. I had the Fastrak to the left of my rear view mirror.

Every time i passed under a sensor, the Fastrak beeped 3 times. Pretty annoying as there were a lot of sensors in a short span in one section

In my 2015 MS I found that the only place the fastrak would reliably read is mounted upside down directly right of the rear view mirror. Apparently the antenna is at the bottom of the device and this orientation aligns the antenna with the area on the windshield that allows the radio waves to pass through. Also, I have noticed that the 680 lanes do not make the fastrak beep, but the 580 lanes do.

2017-12-22 07.29.01.jpg

I also had luck with mounting the fastrak in the rear window, but I prefer the front since my carpool stickers will be expiring soon and that will require changing the fastrak flex switch to match the number of passengers and that's not convenient to do when it is mounted at the back of the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: KSG-P85DL+
I use the 680 express lane from time to time. Mine is set at 3 but I am the only person in the car. I get charged for using it.

If im reading the signs right you sill need to have more than 1 person in the car with the fastrak flex to not get charged.

2016045707f1452937f.jpg
You don't need more than one person in an EV with carpool stickers and the flex set to 2 or 3, so I'd check with Fastrak and see what's going on with your account.

But also, when you say 680, are you referring to the new toll lanes through Alamo or the older toll lane on the Sunol grade? The Sunol grade lane does not recognize the Fastrak Flex transponder, so you need to take your Fastrak down to avoid getting billed for that lane. If you are driving South on 680, you'll need to use the Flex in Alamo and remove it before you climb the Sunol grade. Great system.....

I use the 680 express lane from time to time. Mine is set at 3 but I am the only person in the car. I get charged for using it.

If im reading the signs right you sill need to have more than 1 person in the car with the fastrak flex to not get charged.

What year and Model Tesla do you have? Some windshields block the transponder. I am from near a Sacramento, but used 580 & 680 last week with no charge, just me. I have HOV tags and Flex set at 3. Make sure you plate and info is correct in your FasTrak account.

More tag and 680 info FasTrak

Last edited:
You don't need more than one person in an EV with carpool stickers and the flex set to 2 or 3, so I'd check with Fastrak and see what's going on with your account.

But also, when you say 680, are you referring to the new toll lanes through Alamo or the older toll lane on the Sunol grade? The Sunol grade lane does not recognize the Fastrak Flex transponder, so you need to take your Fastrak down to avoid getting billed for that lane. If you are driving South on 680, you'll need to use the Flex in Alamo and remove it before you climb the Sunol grade. Great system.....

Flex on 3 def does not get charged in Sunol or anywhere else. No need to remove. Also highly dependant on year and model re placement. My dec 16 model x lower left corner works fine with a flex on 3.

Flex on 3 def does not get charged in Sunol or anywhere else. No need to remove. Also highly dependant on year and model re placement. My dec 16 model x lower left corner works fine with a flex on 3.
You are correct, I had a recollection of how it worked prior to the Fastrak flex and evidently they can now read the flex tags. That's an improvement! That's not going to be the issue for OP, so disregard that comment.

I have an 11/16 Model S, same results as Macbest. I live near Sacramento so don’t drive express lanes often. I did notice a couple weeks ago, 680 express lane the transponder didn’t beep. It did on 580. No charges either of the two days I did use the Express Lanes.

If you peruse the threads here there is a lot of information and history on the proper placement of FasTrak transponders based upon vintage of S. My 2013 has the black area to the right of the rear view mirror. I have one of the older square switchable FasTrak transponders mounted there, but to get it to work I had to rotate it 90 degrees (I assume antenna alignment). In my wife's 2015 S, the FasTrak would not work anywhere in the front windshield or pano roof. I installed it on the rear liftgate window at the bottom lip, so it is obscured by the headrest for the rear center seat. Note that FasTrak is issuing the new 'candy bar' shaped transponders, so who knows what the antenna orientation is. And, yes, even if your license plate and vehicle are registered with the authorities, and they know that you drive an eligible EV, if your transponder is not registering the '3' position, they read your license plate and then bill you the full $$ for the paid access on 580-680. yet if you cross one of the bridges, the authorities know that you have an account and will bill the bridge toll correctly.

Sorry for the late reply. I am indeed going South through the new toll lanes. I do not take the express lane near the grade anymore since it charged me the first time i used it and my fastrak is under my parcel shelf in the trunk.

Sorry for the late reply. I am indeed going South through the new toll lanes. I do not take the express lane near the grade anymore since it charged me the first time i used it and my fastrak is under my parcel shelf in the trunk.
I think the location under the parcel shelf is your issue, the fastrak is probably not getting read by the antennas and you are getting billed based on your license plate (which is tied to your account). Check your statement and I'll bet the charges are based on the license plate. You need to use the fastrak flex to get the carpool discount, without that they will bill you full price.

I think the location under the parcel shelf is your issue, the fastrak is probably not getting read by the antennas and you are getting billed based on your license plate (which is tied to your account). Check your statement and I'll bet the charges are based on the license plate. You need to use the fastrak flex to get the carpool discount, without that they will bill you full price.

You are correct. It is being billed through my plate number not the fastrak. You would think they could match the plate to the account and the stickers but I guess not...

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I just started using the new 680 SB express lanes, and just saw that I was billed. I have a FlexPass set to 3 - it's always worked on 580 express lanes and all bridges. I called FastTrak and they confirmed the transponder was not read on the 680 SB express lanes; I had it on the the left front of the dash. I have a Sept 2014 Model S; will try moving the transponder to the middle of the dash. BTW, they did reimburse the charges.

You must have been somewhat lucky with the other ones. The windscreen is partly shielded; the only really reliable place for the transponders is right beside the rear view mirror, where they intentionally left out the shielding. (Or, apparently, inside the nose cone if you have such a thing. I haven't tried this myself though.)