Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting 255 miles as Tesla states

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question comes up multiple times per week. The algorithms that estimate range can be affected by subtle differences in the battery, including how long it's been since the battery was fully charged or fully discharged. The temperature, etc. One rule of thumb is that the value can deviate by 2% with all other things being equal. Drive the car. Don't obsess over trivial differences in range from one charge to another.

Oh, and there's no need to drain it to zero every now and then. And don't charge it to 100% "just to see."

Reactions: dedicatedtek
Tesla states that model X Standard range is 255 miles. However, I got my on 06/29/2019 and last night first test for fully charge and only got 247 and charged was completed. Not sure why?
The 255 miles is an EPA standard test, and assumes a certain cycle (with some city driving) -- that's what manufacturers are supposed to "state" if a single number has to be provided.

The estimator is a bit more conservative, but it's easy to have either a higher range (fairly long city driving in summer) or a lower one (when driving at great speed on the highways in winter). The tools in the car also allow you to get a different estimate more in line with historical averages over a recent period.

To see different range estimations depending on the conditions, see e.g.:

Tesla Model X Standard Range

Go find a long stretch of not mountain road. Drive it at 55-60 mph. You will see how easy it is to get the range or higher.
Then drive it at 80 coming back and you will see how speed kills....... your battery.

Seriously, find a good stretch where you can run for at least 30 miles, look at the energy graphs and change your speed up and down 5 mph for 10 minutes and see how your average utilization changes and the impact on the range.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
Go find a long stretch of not mountain road. Drive it at 55-60 mph. You will see how easy it is to get the range or higher.
Then drive it at 80 coming back and you will see how speed kills....... your battery.

Seriously, find a good stretch where you can run for at least 30 miles, look at the energy graphs and change your speed up and down 5 mph for 10 minutes and see how your average utilization changes and the impact on the range.

I would expect the battery level to be a little closer to 255. Mine was just right. But it is an estimate. There's no precise way to measure energy in a battery without actually using it. So use it and see if it gets better. If it's cold in Denver that might not help.

And of course your actual mileage will vary, just like ICE MPG.

Reactions: VinBen
you all are dismissing the OP... he has a brand new X - when it's brand new, it should charge up to the stated range of 255. I'd try charging up to 100% a few times consecutively until it stops charging (it'll take 30 minutes or so to go from 99 percent to 100).. if no change, it is what it is..
and, no, the tire size does not affect the stated range (it does affect the actual range though)

Reactions: ftlum and VikH
you all are dismissing the OP... he has a brand new X - when it's brand new, it should charge up to the stated range of 255. I'd try charging up to 100% a few times consecutively until it stops charging (it'll take 30 minutes or so to go from 99 percent to 100).. if no change, it is what it is..
and, no, the tire size does not affect the stated range (it does affect the actual range though)

Agreed. Some people may not be understanding OPs concern. Rated Range of a new battery pack should be stated 255 miles. When my car was new, the Rated Range was aligned with the EPA mileage. This does not fluctuate day to day. It will gradually decrease as your pack degrades.

Agreed. Some people may not be understanding OPs concern. Rated Range of a new battery pack should be stated 255 miles. When my car was new, the Rated Range was aligned with the EPA mileage. This does not fluctuate day to day. It will gradually decrease as your pack degrades.
I don’t think anyone is necessarily dismissing the OP ..as these questions come up weekly on the forums ..what’s different is on an EV we are quoted a range ..not like an ICE it’s not sold saying it can go xxx miles in range ...if there are concerns about a degraded battery etc those are legit but you won’t necessary see on a new car ..as a poster above mentioned best is set to percent and go ..if OP truly wants to see his range as “255” as another poster mentioned you probably got to mess around with a few charge discharge cycles to get in balance ;);)

• Disagree
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I filled up the tank on my car and the range estimator is showing me a lower number than I expect.

It's the same concern. The estimator is an estimator. You will never get exactly that range. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Weather, terrain, and driving style influence it greatly.

Reactions: P85_DA